Why CSGnet shoul have a forum (was Re: transdiagnostic processes)

[Martin Taylor 2008.10.10.14.54]

[From Bill Powers (2008.10.10.1211 MDT)]

I wonder, though, if we aren't overlooking something in thinking that MOL always must go up levels. Goalwise, yes, but perceptionwise, maybe not always. Just conjecturing ...

This exemplifies why we should have a CSGnet forum in addition to (or instead of) the CSGnet e-mail list. Here you are continuing the last half of [Martin Taylor 2008.09.21.10.33]. It happens to be recent in my memory, but with a forum, we could take up threads that were dropped months or years previously, without any loss of context.

I'll be quiet again :slight_smile:

Martin

[From Fred Nickols (2008.10.10.1255 PDT)]

Well, just for the heck of it, I set up a group on Yahoo called CSG Forum (interestingly, PCT Forum was taken but not by us). Anyway, if you want to sign on you can send an email to the subscribe address below or send me an email and I'll sign you on.

Post message: CSGForum@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: CSGForum-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Unsubscribe: CSGForum-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
List owner: CSGForum-owner@yahoogroups.com

···

--
Regards,

Fred Nickols
Managing Partner
Distance Consulting Company, LLC
nickols@att.net
www.nickols.us

"Assistance at A Distance"

-------------- Original message ----------------------

[Martin Taylor 2008.10.10.14.54]
> [From Bill Powers (2008.10.10.1211 MDT)]
>
> I wonder, though, if we aren't overlooking something in thinking that
> MOL always must go up levels. Goalwise, yes, but perceptionwise, maybe
> not always. Just conjecturing ...

This exemplifies why we should have a CSGnet forum in addition to (or
instead of) the CSGnet e-mail list. Here you are continuing the last
half of [Martin Taylor 2008.09.21.10.33]. It happens to be recent in my
memory, but with a forum, we could take up threads that were dropped
months or years previously, without any loss of context.

I'll be quiet again :slight_smile:

Martin

[From Bill Powers (2008.10.10.1413 MDT)]

Fred Nickols (2008.10.10.1255 PDT) --

Well, just for the heck of it, I set up a group on Yahoo called CSG Forum (interestingly, PCT Forum was taken but not by us). Anyway, if you want to sign on you can send an email to the subscribe address below or send me an email and I'll sign you on.

I don't want to split up CSGnet into special-interest groups. For one thing, I would be swamped trying to keep up with everything. For another, the CSG has always operated on the principle that it's good for people to see what's going on outside their fields even if they don't understand, or care about, everything that's said.

So I'll stay put on CSGnet.

Best,

Bill P.

Bill Powers wrote:
[Martin Taylor 2008.10.10.17.08]

[From Bill Powers (2008.10.10.1413 MDT)]

Fred Nickols (2008.10.10.1255 PDT) --

I don't want to split up CSGnet into special-interest groups. For one thing, I would be swamped trying to keep up with everything. For another, the CSG has always operated on the principle that it's good for people to see what's going on outside their fields even if they don't understand, or care about, everything that's said.

So I'll stay put on CSGnet.

Why should having a CSGnet-forum bring your mind to think of special interest groups? To me, the result should be quite the opposite, since everyone has the opportunity to cast back and look at all the disparate threads, in contrast to CSGnet-e-mail, where, as I illustrated trivially this afternoon, threads and issues are quickly forgotten. To me, a forum is a way to avoid splitting into special interest groups.

Ideally, CSGnet-e-mail and a putative CSGnet-forum should be synergistic, not competitive. E-mails to CSGnet would automatically or semi-automatically be appended to the forum, and forum postings would be sent to CSGnet. It's a bit like an easily accessed thread-based archive in my mind. I don't know whether there exists forum software to do this. At one time, some of us tried to get CSGnet dicussions to move to the forum at ecacs.net, and we did actually have some good discussions there, especially on PCT economics. But only a few CSGnet participants joined, and there wasn't a critical mass to keep it going. The site still exists, but nothing has been done there for some years.

What I see as a major difficulty with the development of PCT is the ephemeral nature of the discussion, and to a large extent, its superficiality. A topic is raised, and it can go three ways: an issue might be resolved, the topic might deviate into something quite different, or the issue remains unresolved. The first situation cries out for a permanent repository of resolved issues, the second is suited to e-mail ramblings, the third demands a way for open discussions to remain open AND visible in case some further insights come along.

Anyway, I'll probably come back to this at some future time. I really don't have time to argue this week or next, and then I'm away for three more. However, I do think it's a crying shame that all the worthwhile stuff about PCT discussed here is effectively lost in the archives, never to be seen again except by some diligent searcher who knows it should exist somewhere.

Martin

[From Bill Powers (2008.10.10.1626 MDT)]

Why should having a CSGnet-forum bring your mind to think of special interest groups? To me, the result should be quite the opposite, since everyone has the opportunity to cast back and look at all the disparate threads, in contrast to CSGnet-e-mail, where, as I illustrated trivially this afternoon, threads and issues are quickly forgotten. To me, a forum is a way to avoid splitting into special interest groups.

I'm not familiar with the forum format. If you think it would be a good substitute for CSGnet, I wouldn't be averse to switching over. But I can't keep up with two discussion groups at the same time. If I switch to the Yahoo forum, I'll sign off of CSGnet.

It could be that the Yahoo forum would satisfy the need to pursue particular subjects of interest in more detail than we generally get into on CSGnet. I wouldn't discourage anyone who wants to from using it that way. My own agenda for PCT is focused on demonstrations and models more than reasoning from premises, so it probably seems to some that I work at a fairly shallow level. But different strokes for different folks; I don't apologize for my style, nor does anyone else have to apologize for theirs. If the Yahoo forum would better suit a different form of discussion, why not just do it? It might be a good thing to develop ideas without the Old Man looking over everyone's shoulders.

As to losing the good ideas, my experience is that the good ones come back after a while and aren't lost. But that's how I work, and it wouldn't suit a more orderly person. Why not go off and experiment with the other venue for a while and see what happens? Maybe I'll be left all by myself so if I want anyone to talk to I will have to tag along. All we can do it try it and see.

Best,

Bill P.

···

At 05:21 PM 10/10/2008 -0400, Martin Taylor wrote: