Yet another hateful rant

If you look at the diagram's in Dag's preface to _Two Dialogues , you will see that the external world
always shows up as a disturbance. This might suggest to the uniformed reader that PCT is an
equilibrium model of behavior. For a researcher who does not see herself as working in the close-to-
equilibrium domain it might be difficult to see what PCT has to offer as a research paradigm. It might
be helpful to see some examples of how current research in social psychology or behavioral
economics could be noticeably improved by adopting closed-loop principles. On the other hand, it is
a lot easier to simply claim that everyone who is not on CSGnet is hopelessly benighted. so I can
understand the lack of constructive examples.

Oops. I almost forgot to be hateful and nasty. How about this: Perhaps the time has come to fish or
cut bait. Just a thought.

Bruce

[From Rick Marken (2010.07.21.1020)]

If you look at the diagram's in Dag's preface to _Two Dialogues �, you will see that
the external world always shows up as a disturbance...

Oops. I almost forgot to be hateful and nasty. How about this: Perhaps the time
has come to fish or cut bait. Just a thought.

Far more interesting to me (from a control theory analysis
perspective) than your ice cream eating behavior, which I have never
observed, is you CSGNet behavior, which I have. Based on my
observations I conclude that you are in the grip of a rather intense
conflict. The conflict is expressed as an inability to control your
participation on CSGNet.

Over the past several years you have oscillated back an forth, with a
period of about 4 months, between joining and leaving CSGNet. You
can't stay on and you can't stay off. So you clearly have two
conflicting goals; one that wants to be on CSGNet and one that wants
to be off. It's difficult to tell what the higher level goals are
that are creating this conflict for you but the conflict itself is
rather obvious. The goals that are causing the conflict, as expressed,
are also pretty obvious; one goal is to "join CSGNet", the other is to
"leave CSGNet". But the higher level goals that are setting these
conflicting goals are less clear.

I suspect that the "join CSGNet" goal is being set by a goal that has
to do with "getting back" at PCT for disappointing you. (Based on
reading your posts over these many years, my guess is that the
"getting back" goal is set by a still higher level goal that has to do
with the way you wanted PCT to deal with cognitive neuroscience.)
This "getting back at PCT" goal would account for the fact that each
time you do re-join CSGNet you post only sarcastic criticisms of PCT.
The "leave CSGNet" goal is probably being set by a higher level goal
having to do with not wanting to waste your time on stuff, like PCT,
that is so obviously wrong.

I suspect that you will oscillate back to the "leave CSGNet" side of
your conflict soon. Until then, enjoy the ride.

Best

Rick

···

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Bruce Gregory <bruce.gregory@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Bruce Gregory (2010.07.21.1502 EDT)]

If you look at the diagram's in Dag's preface to _Two Dialogues , you will see that
the external world always shows up as a disturbance...

Oops. I almost forgot to be hateful and nasty. How about this: Perhaps the time
has come to fish or cut bait. Just a thought.

perspective) than your ice cream eating behavior, which I have never
observed, is you CSGNet behavior, which I have. Based on my
conflict. The conflict is expressed as an inability to control your
participation on CSGNet.

Over the past several years you have oscillated back an forth, with a
period of about 4 months, between joining and leaving CSGNet. You
can't stay on and you can't stay off. So you clearly have two
conflicting goals; one that wants to be on CSGNet and one that wants
to be off. It's difficult to tell what the higher level goals are
that are creating this conflict for you but the conflict itself is
rather obvious. The goals that are causing the conflict, as expressed,
are also pretty obvious; one goal is to "join CSGNet", the other is to
"leave CSGNet". But the higher level goals that are setting these
conflicting goals are less clear.

I suspect that the "join CSGNet" goal is being set by a goal that has
to do with "getting back" at PCT for disappointing you. (Based on
with the way you wanted PCT to deal with cognitive neuroscience.)
This "getting back at PCT" goal would account for the fact that each
time you do re-join CSGNet you post only sarcastic criticisms of PCT.
The "leave CSGNet" goal is probably being set by a higher level goal
having to do with not wanting to waste your time on stuff, like PCT,

I suspect that you will oscillate back to the "leave CSGNet" side of
your conflict soon. Until then, enjoy the ride.

BG: Very insightful. PCT at its very best. What other theory of human behavior could have yielded such insights? I stand in awe.

Bruce

···

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Bruce Gregory <bruce.gregory@gmail.com> wrote:

[From Bruce Gregory (2010.07.21.1509 EDT)]

I do appreciate your profound psychoanalytic insights, but you could have saved yourself some work if you had recalled the following exchange from Casablanca:

Ugarte: You despise me, don't you?
Rick Blaine: If I gave you any thought I probably would.

Bruce

[From Bruce Gregory (2010.07.21.1533 EDT)]

[Re: Rick Marken (2010.07.21.1020)]

O.K. Let me see if I have learned anything at all about PCT:

perspective) is you CSGNet behavior. Based on my
conflict. You want very much for PCT to be accepted as a genuinely important scientific theory, but you are threatened by anyone whose interpretation departs from the the orthodox view as expressed by you and Bill. As a result you have successfully silenced everyone but Martin Taylor who has the temerity to take exception with anything you say. (The ratio of lurkers to posters and the small size of the community is testimony to how effective you have been.) You are a living demonstration of control at work.

I suspect that the "stay on CSGNet" goal is being set by a goal that has
to do with "getting back" at conventional psychology for disappointing you. (Based on
with the way you want psychology to recognize your central role in leading a scientific revolution, but alas that was not to be.)
Your disappointment at not receiving the recognition you feel you so richly deserve is reflected in sarcastic criticisms of anything that is not PCT. You seem to be an embittered old man. If I were in your shoes, I would be too.

The "trash conventional psychology goal" is being set by a higher level goal
having to do with not wanting to waste your time on stuff

I hope I have captured a little of your inimitable flavor. But others will have to decide for themselves.

Best,

Bruce

[Martin Taylor 2010.07.21.17.15]

O.K. Let me see if I have learned anything at all about PCT: ...

Bruce, Are you bringing many controlled perceptions closer to their reference values?

You mention that I have the "temerity" to take exception to some things Rick and Bill say. There's really no temerity involved. I would not do it were I not reasonably confident of my understanding of PCT and able to deduce for myself some of its implications. If deductions of which I am confident differ from something Rick and Bill say, and they are also confident in their deductions, then there is a possibility for productive dialogue, no matter how long and involved the discussion seems to be. Either the apparent conflict is a misunderstanding, or someone's confidence is misplaced and needs to be corrected.

Sometimes I do feel that they are being unnecessarily obtuse, and I imagine that they feel much the same about me, but we all start from the basis that PCT (though not necessarily any specific version of it, such as strict HPCT) is both correct and important. Given the belief that we start from the same foundation, it is possible to imagine that, eventually, rational discussion will lead to common conclusions; if those conclusions are novel, then the science has been advanced.

It's true that Rick's "General Patton" approach has driven away from CSGnet several people who might have been able to advance PCT had they stayed and been given time to learn what is and what is not implied by PCT. That's unfortunate, but if one of your controlled perceptions is that he should soften his approach to correcting erroneous (in his view erroneous) concepts relating to PCT, do you think your methods have been working to bring that perception nearer its reference value?

Rick proposes that you are conflicted between two incompatible reference values "to perceive yourself as a CSGnet contributor" and "to perceive yourself as not a CSGnet contributor".

I wonder whether he is right, or whether what he observes is the external manifestation of a process of reorganization relating to a controlled perception of "being able to learn about PCT and contribute to PCT through interaction on CSGnet", a perception you have not yet found a way to bring closer to its reference level because of your conflicting interactions with Rick and Bill?

In my language, that would be control of the perception of an environmental affordance, in the same way as trying to move a heavy plank to form a bridge across a stream would be control of the perception of an environmental affordance, requiring reorganization when the plank won't budge by just lifting it. Only you know (if you do) the right answer to the question of whether your forays into CSGnet contribution are an indication of conflict, of reorganization, or of controlling some variable of which we others are unaware.

Be that as it may, do you find that your interactions bring any of your higher-level controlled variables nearer their reference values? Are they working for you?

Martin

[From Bruce Gregory (2010.07.21.2154 EDT)]

Bruce, Are you bringing many controlled perceptions closer to their reference values?

An excellent question. No, but you can help. As I see it, PCT is an equilibrium model of human behavior for which the external world is largely a disturbance. Does this interpretation agree with your understanding?

If the interpretation is correct, what benefits does adopting this equilibrium model offer to the wider world of social psychology and behavioral economics? Take any study carried out by "conventional" social scientists or behavioral economists. How would the study have been improved if the authors understood PCT? What would they have learned that they did not learn using the flawed methods of conventional psychology?

Best,

Bruce

[Martin Taylor 2010.07.21.11.47]

An excellent question. No, but you can help. As I see it, PCT is an equilibrium model of human behavior for which the external world is largely a disturbance. Does this interpretation agree with your understanding?

That's a good question. I don't think PCT is an equilibrium model. On the contrary, I think it's a classical (in the sense of physics) far-from-equilibrium model. Nor is it just a model of human behaviour. It's a model of life, even though the discussions on CSGnet are mainly concerned with its use in human psychology. I think that this specialization in the discussions may actually make it more difficult to understand PCT, in part because the energy expended in maintaining perceptual variables at their reference levels tend to be obscured in the result that most perceptual variables ARE maintained pretty close to their reference values most of the time, and the fact that it does take some energy to maintain this stability tends to get lost. Another reason that the concentration on human psychology tends to make it difficult to understand PCT is that by looking at different domains, the principles that are really PCT can be separated from the great complexity that is human psychology (even in a PCT framework).

Now, about equilibrium...

Think about a hierarchy of control systems acting to control some higher-level perception, such as the perception of getting paid for doing a job. Initially, one perceives that one has not been paid, nor has one done the job. To correct the error in the "being paid" perceptual control system, one must keep changing the reference values for many other control systems until the job is done, and one can perceive oneself (a controlled perception) standing by the person who you hope will pay you. Never in that process are the control systems involved anywhere near equilibrium.

Even if the "being paid" perception is at the moment error-free, going up a level or two one must ask why that might be a controlled perception. Why would you even want to be paid? One of the prominent reasons -- a controlled perception that eventually influences the reference value for the "being paid" perception -- is that in our society, having money is one way to acquire food. The "having food" perception is controlled, but its reference value changes depending on how hungry you are, increasing as you get hungrier. When the "having food" perception is that you have less food than the changing reference value, the output of that control system changes reference values in lower systems, including, possibly, the "getting paid" perception (though it might be affecting various perceptions relating to your vegetable garden).

In other words, reference values for all sorts of perceptions keep changing even in the absence of environmental disturbances, and they must change as your levels of hunger and thirst change with respect to their own reference values, if for no other reason.

If you are wondering about whether PCT is an equilibrium system, you should think about energy flows and entropy. Since a body is in thermal contact with the external environment, if it did nothing, its specific entropy would tend to that of its environment. In everyday language, it would lose structure and decay away. Dead bodies do that. To counter this ongoing gain of entropy from the environment requires an energy flow through the body that allows the body to export entropy. You eat well structured (low entropy) food, and excrete poorly structure (high entropy) waste. That couldn't happen in an equilibrium system.

Think about what a control system does. It's a one-degree-of-freedom system, and what it does is use the energy flow to reduce the entropy of the controlled degree of freedom (its moment-to-monent variability measured against the reference level, in a one-df case). The control system does actual work against the environment in order to maintain its stability. That is the opposite of what an equilibrium system does. If an equilibrium system relaxes and does nothing, its state stays the same. If a control system relaxes and does nothing, in effect it dies (its controlled variable comes to equilibrium with the variability of the environment), and if all the control systems in a living organism relax and do nothing, the organism dies.

So, the most important thing that the control systems of an organism must do is to ensure the availability of an energy supply. To set up control structures that do this is the job of a reorganizing system, whether the reorganization be on an evolutionary time-scale or internal to the individual. In simple organisms such as bacteria, it's probably largely if not entirely evolutionary, whereas in humans, it is probably reorganization within the individual other than the breast-feeding activities of babies. Whichever it is, an important part of the control structure has to be concerned with the acquisition of energy -- food, in other words. In humans, that structure is very complex, including control of perceptions of, for example, having a job, travelling to work, pleasing the boss, etc. etc.

None of this is equilibrium stuff. None of the variables would maintain their values if they were not actively controlled, and for most of them the control actions at higher levels keep altering their reference values, so that they don't maintain constant values even when they are tightly controlled. Even a person who seems to be standing motionless has to vary muscle tensions in the legs so as to seem to be perfectly still. A person doing a job for pay in order to buy food is varying myriads of reference levels on time scales of partial seconds to months or years.

If the interpretation is correct, what benefits does adopting this equilibrium model offer to the wider world of social psychology and behavioral economics? Take any study carried out by "conventional" social scientists or behavioral economists. How would the study have been improved if the authors understood PCT? What would they have learned that they did not learn using the flawed methods of conventional psychology?

As you see, I don't believe the interpretation [that PCT is an equilibrium model] is correct, but I can reinterpret the question as "If PCT is correct..."

To my mind, the problem in applying PCT scientifically as opposed to intuitively in a sociological context is that very little work has been done on the interactions of control systems behaving in a shared environment. Kent McLelland demonstrated the effects of conflict in linear systems, and if the interacting systems were actually linear, conflict would be evident in almost all interactions. But that's not what we see. We see much more cooperation than conflict. Why?

There's a whole open field of research about the kinds of nonlinearities in control systems that lead preferentially to cooperation rather than conflict. Consider just one aspect. Both the mathematics and McLelland's simulations showed that if two linear control systems control through a shared environmental degree of freedom, the result is an exponential escalation of force from both until one of them is overwhelmed. But if the systems are non-linear in the sense that there is a threshold of error below which the systems don't try to correct the error (known colloquially as "don't sweat the small stuff"), then both can happily control, provided that the manipulations of whichever's error momentarily exceeds its threshold don't make the other's error exceed its own threshold. That at least some control systems have a threshold below which they don't act to reduce the error is illustrated by the fact that most of us don't go to eat immediately we feel the first hint of hunger. We wait until hunger is sufficiently large, or until it is some socially accepted time to eat.

So you see that conflict is not assured when two nonlinear control systems control their perceptions by way of the same environmental degree of freedom. As I said, there's a whole field of research waiting to be done on this kind of issue, and before one can seriously talk of a PCT science of sociology, such issues have to be addressed.

Taking that into account, one could nevertheless talk about an intuitive PCT approach to sociological issues, recognizing that people try to control their perceptions, that those perceptions include environmental affordances, and that the control systems of other people are among those environmental affordances. Unfortunately, I know very little of actual sociological studies beyond what was brought up in my late-1950's graduate school career. However, blathering on in ignorance, I would suspect that many of them are of the form "If you expose people to this influence, x% will react this way, whereas if you expose them to that influence only y% will do so." The data presumably are correct, but under what circumstances could they be extrapolated to other populations and conditions, and what are the differences among the people that allow some to react one way and others not do do so? It is reasonable to expect that a PCT approach might suggest answers to these questions.

Truly, I can't answer your question, but I hope my maunderings help suggest some avenues for thought.

Martin

Hi, Bruce !

I see Bruce that nobody else (but Martin) is answering your questions. I'll
try to help you as I can, although I know that's not what you have expected.
I know also that I was to long as I saw you are always trying to be very
short. I hope it will not be disturbing to you.
Please except my apology for the use of English language. Maybe some things
will be less understandable, because I'm not expressing it in my native
language.

I'm very glad, that you are "on board", because you are showing some
disharmony in PCT and that's good, although it's maybe useless to show it,
as Bill and Richard accept "mistakes" of PCT in a very strange way.

I think that all those who "were silenced" through the time on CSGnet,
trying to help PCT to recognize it's "holes", recognized also that it's
useless job to try to help PCT to "improve" or "to get better". But I think
that all "silenced" members do "their own PCT" although they are not present
on CSGnet.

I think you are close enough to the "main point" of PCT and my opinion is,
that you understand well what PCT is trying to be, not what it is. So I
perfectly agree with Martin's opinion that PCT is not yet an equilibrium
model, but I think it's tending to be.

Bruce G :
As I see it, PCT is an equilibrium model of human behavior for which the
external world is largely a disturbance. Does this interpretation agree with
your understanding?

Boris H :
As far I understand the problem, I think that maybe you didn't define well
"equilibrium" in your question and that's maybe the reason why you didn't
get the answer you wanted.
For ex. Ashby put also other terms like "steady state", stability�By his
opinion all this terms underline the same THEME.
I think that PCT wants to be "equilibrial theory" (in Ashby's sense), but it
didn't get to that point yet. By my opinion there's quite some "miles" to
do, before it comes to the point of your rather good description. I'll try
to put some arguments to support my (our) opinion.

Bill P (in his book Sense of behavior, page 48,49,50,51) :
At the focus of this process of learning are the basic needs that have to be
met. We need a theoretical link between those basic needs and the process of
learning. Control theory suggests a link that is really a control system of
basic kind.
The object of control by this basic system is to keep certain physiological
and biochemical variables near particular values.
What we need, then, is a set of reference conditions defined by inherited
features of the system.
We need a set of sensors that can report the actual state of each critical
variable , and we need some comparison process that will create an error
signals when sensed value of critical variable differs from its reference
condition.
These wrongness signals are called in PCT, "intrinsic error" signals,
because they refer to basic physical conditions that are essential to
survival and are inside, intrinsic to the body�All that matters now is that
such a set so signals must exist, and that some or many of these error
signals are not at zero, the body is equiped to do something that we'll
restore them to zero. When the intrinsic error signal are restored to zero,
all the associated critical variables are once again near the built-in
reference states.I took these idea, incidentally from the cyberneticist W.
Ross Ashby because I thought he was right though I couldn't prove it. All
that remains is to turn the set if intrinsic error signals into learning.
And here we run into wall, not because we can't think of ways to do this,
but because there are many ways and we have no data that will tell us which
of these ways the human system actually uses.
We have now a very basic control system concerned with keeping some set of
intrinsic variables near built-in reference conditions. As usual, this
control system employs perception and comparison with reference conditions
to generate an error signal that drives action. The action is left somewhat
indefinite; it is the process of reorganization that alters the connection
in the nervous system.
The most important aspect of reorganizing system is that it is concerned
only with maintaining intrinsic error signals as close to zero as possible.

Boris H :
I think this is essential to understand Bill's theory of "adapting" behavior
and the main role of nervous system with "trials and errors" or
reorganizations in neurons pathways and regulating the intensity and
coordination of effectors, while seeking equilibrium, steady-state,
reference state, reference conditions, internal standards (McClelland) or
whatever we call the state of relative physiological balance in organisms.
So I think you were right in describing the PCT as "equilibrium model".
Maybe you could say : model of goal oriented behavior to physiological
equilibrium. If the equilibrium is reference condition of the controled
quantity, then I think we talk about goal-directed behavior.

Bill P (B:CP, 2005, page ) : Goal directed behavior
The most important explanatory feature is the reference signal because that
is what accounts for the reference condition of the controlled quantity. The
reference conditions is exactly what is meant by a goal.

Ashby (Design for a brain) :
Goal-seeking (page 54) : Every stable system has a property if displaced
from a state of equilibrium and released, the subsequent movement is so
matched to the initial displacement that the system is brought back to the
state of equilibrium.
The suggestion that an animal's behaviour is "adaptive" if the animal
"responds correctly to stimulus" must be rejected at once.
I propose the definition that a form of behaviour is adaptive if it
maintains the essential variables within the physiological limits.
The ultrastable system discused so far, through developing a variety of
fields, have sought a constant goal. The Homeostat sought central positions
and rat sought a zero grill-potential (page 131).
If the critical states "distribution in the main variables" phase-space is
altered by any means whatever, the ultrastable system will be altered in the
goal it seeks (page 132).

Boris H :
By my opinion is pretty clear what's the main purpose of above mentioned
citations. It's somehow obvious to me, that both theories (Ashby's and
Bill's) are homeostatical, equilibrial, seeking for stability after being
disturbed, with closed (circled) feed-back. I think that in Bill's theory it
must be added : control of perception whenever we are relating to the
environmental disturbances. And of course control hierarchy mustn't be
ignored.

Through the whole book "Design for a brain" example of kitten moving or
resting by the fire is presented in different Chapters. It's obviously that
kitten in it's "adapted behavior" is "protecting" essential variables from
being displaced to far from the state of equilibrium. And that's what, by my
opinion, every "Living Control system" is doing all the time. That's maybe
the answer to your question : "why" control systems are behaving. Probably
with main goal to reduce the "genetic intrinsic error" to zero.

Boris H :
I also use this opportunity to express my viewpoint about PCT and CSGnet. I
think that despite it's "holes" is not such a "send-box" as you described
it. PCT is in fact a very good theory of control nature of living beings.
For me it's the best theory today. Principles of PCT are seen practically on
the whole world. For example : Glasser's psychoterapy called "Choice Theory"
or "Reality therapy", Carver's and Sheier's Self-regulation Theory,
Resolution Conflict Management in Europe, and there were some examples in
Dr. Phil's Show, etc. That's what I know of PCT influences. Maybe other
members know more.

Boris H :
I promoted PCT in Slovenia (corrected version with Bruce Abbott's Synopsis)
and it's slowly getting into science sphere. And my experiences so far shows
that momentally is no theory stronger in the field of Social Sciences, but
PCT, although is not perfect yet. The interacionist theory come close, but
it's lost when it comes to the question "why" interactants produce behavior
in each other.

Bruce G :
ďż˝.what benefits does adopting this equilibrium model offer to the wider
world of social psychology and behavioral economics?

Boris H :
If I understand you right, you are seeking for the impact of PCT on other
sciences, and that answer I can't give to you. But I can supply you with
some hints with "copies" of PCT that were used in many books. Specially
Bill's diagram is used very frequently.

1. Charles S. Carver; Michael F. Scheier; On the self regulation of behavior
(1998). Cambridge University Press (page 11, page 22).

2. The self in Social Psychology (1999) : Edited by Roy F. Baumeister (page
300).

3. Advances in Experimental Social Psychology (1998), Volume 21, Leonard
Berkowitz (page 307).

4. The self-regulation of health and illness behaviour (2003), Edited by
Linda Diane Cameron,Howard Leventhal (page 18).

5. Handbook of Psychology: Personality and social psychology (2003), Irving
B. Weiner (page 186).

6. Handbook of self-regulation: research, theory, and applications (2004).
Edited by Roy F. Baumeister,Kathleen D. Vohs (page 14).

Pages in titles refer to use of Bill's diagram. And there is usualy some
explanation about control hierarchy.

Most of these books you can get as previews. Please consider that Carver and
Scheier were Bill's "students" in Control Theory, as William Glasser was :
Stations of the Mind (1981).

Bruce G :
Take any study carried out by "conventional" social scientists or behavioral
economists. How would the study have been improved if the authors understood
PCT? What would they have learned that they did not learn using the flawed
methods of conventional psychology?

Boris H :
I don't know what's really the impact of PCT on Social Sciences (maybe
McClelland could answer that), but I can try to suggest some direct
experiences with use of PCT in some Social Sciences and research work.
I see PCT as really important contribution to Social Work and Education or
in Socio-pedagogical Work in schools. I also find it's strong influence on
Training process.
The difference between classical approach and PCT is very clear specialy in
the way subjects communicate. If you understand communication as classical
fluctuation of information or as behavioristic input-output
(action-reaction) you can make too much damage to people relations and to
society, specially in schools.

Generally I see the most important contribution of PCT in the way people
communicate and how they understand human nature in communication and other
relations. So I assume here that understanding the human nature imply to
some extend the way people communicate or relate to each other.

I see the problem for example in. religions (war between Muslims and
Christians). It seems it will never stop. Wrong communication, wrong
understanding of human nature. People are really acting as Living Control
Systems, all the time in conflict, with mass-thoughts of destructing each other.
I can difficultly speak of Economy, as I'm not economist. But as I see the
problem, it's about wrong understanding of human nature specially rich
managers, who by my opinion crashed American Economic system. I don't know
if that's exactly the reason. I make my conclusions upon informations I got
on TV. I see that you have New Economic Laws, which I think are the
consequence of new understanding the human nature which is closer to PCT.
Now after experiencing the true human nature, Laws changed to suit human
nature of managers who are now more restricted and should experiance their
own consequences. Thta's how I understood "New Deal".
I beleive that with understanding PCT, The New Economic Laws could be
accepted maybe earlier and there maybe wouldn't be such a World catastrophe.
I think if we leave managers do what they want, they'll first maximally
control their equilibrium (God makes beard to himself first). And as far as
I understand, all American people will have to pay for managers gluttony. I
know I'm simplifying the problem, but that's how I see it through the "eyes"
of PCT.

I think that all social events can be reduced to, and explained with human
nature and their relations. And there's always a problem how you understand
it. I think that the way we experience our human nature and understand it,
is the way we behave.

I don't know if I helped you much. But I did try my best. I hope you
understood my language :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Boris

[From Bruce Gregory (2010.0.24.1651)]

[Martin Taylor 2010.07.21.11.47]

O.K. Let me see if I have learned anything at all about PCT: …

That’s a good question. I don’t think PCT is an equilibrium model. On the contrary, I think it’s a classical (in the sense of physics) far-from-equilibrium model. Nor is it just a model of human behaviour. It’s a model of life, even though the discussions on CSGnet are mainly concerned with its use in human psychology. I think that this specialization in the discussions may actually make it more difficult to understand PCT, in part because the energy expended in maintaining perceptual variables at their reference levels tend to be obscured in the result that most perceptual variables ARE maintained pretty close to their reference values most of the time, and the fact that it does take some energy to maintain this stability tends to get lost. Another reason that the concentration on human psychology tends to make it difficult to understand PCT is that by looking at different domains, the principles that are really PCT can be separated from the great complexity that is human psychology (even in a PCT framework).

Now, about equilibrium…

Think about a hierarchy of control systems acting to control some higher-level perception, such as the perception of getting paid for doing a job. Initially, one perceives that one has not been paid, nor has one done the job. To correct the error in the “being paid” perceptual control system, one must keep changing the reference values for many other control systems until the job is done, and one can perceive oneself (a controlled perception) standing by the person who you hope will pay you. Never in that process are the control systems involved anywhere near equilibrium.

BG: I can see why you were misled by use of the world equilibrium. (Its a bit like the term “free energy” which means one thing to an information theorist and something other to a physicist. To say that the brain minimizes free-energy is not to say that it maximizes entropy!) In the situation you describe, I would say that the individual is striving to maintain a perception something like “I am a worthwhile person.” That perception has been disturbed by an environmental disturbance and the changing references you describe are efforts by the system to restore the “I am a worthwhile person” person to an earlier value, say when the indivual was name high school valedictorian.

Even if the “being paid” perception is at the moment error-free, going up a level or two one must ask why that might be a controlled perception. Why would you even want to be paid? One of the prominent reasons – a controlled perception that eventually influences the reference value for the “being paid” perception – is that in our society, having money is one way to acquire food. The “having food” perception is controlled, but its reference value changes depending on how hungry you are, increasing as you get hungrier. When the “having food” perception is that you have less food than the changing reference value, the output of that control system changes reference values in lower systems, including, possibly, the “getting paid” perception (though it might be affecting various perceptions relating to your vegetable garden).

BG: But the efforts all involve restoring perceptions to their intrinsic value. Perhaps this value can be thought of the state of a baby that has just been fed.

In other words, reference values for all sorts of perceptions keep changing even in the absence of environmental disturbances, and they must change as your levels of hunger and thirst change with respect to their own reference values, if for no other reason.

BG: Fair enough. Some of the variables I have been calling environmental are intrinsic to the body. Bodies get hungry without environmental influences, but they strive to restore the condition that existed before they were hungry. If equilibrium is the wrong word, perhaps you can suggest a better one. The organism strives to achieve an internally specified state. Either one that has achieved in the past or one arrived at by random reorganization.

If you are wondering about whether PCT is an equilibrium system, you should think about energy flows and entropy. Since a body is in thermal contact with the external environment, if it did nothing, its specific entropy would tend to that of its environment. In everyday language, it would lose structure and decay away. Dead bodies do that. To counter this ongoing gain of entropy from the environment requires an energy flow through the body that allows the body to export entropy. You eat well structured (low entropy) food, and excrete poorly structure (high entropy) waste. That couldn’t happen in an equilibrium system.

BG: Again, equilibrium was a misleading term.

Think about what a control system does. It’s a one-degree-of-freedom system, and what it does is use the energy flow to reduce the entropy of the controlled degree of freedom (its moment-to-monent variability measured against the reference level, in a one-df case). The control system does actual work against the environment in order to maintain its stability. That is the opposite of what an equilibrium system does. If an equilibrium system relaxes and does nothing, its state stays the same. If a control system relaxes and does nothing, in effect it dies (its controlled variable comes to equilibrium with the variability of the environment), and if all the control systems in a living organism relax and do nothing, the organism dies.

BG: Ditto.

So, the most important thing that the control systems of an organism must do is to ensure the availability of an energy supply. To set up control structures that do this is the job of a reorganizing system, whether the reorganization be on an evolutionary time-scale or internal to the individual. In simple organisms such as bacteria, it’s probably largely if not entirely evolutionary, whereas in humans, it is probably reorganization within the individual other than the breast-feeding activities of babies. Whichever it is, an important part of the control structure has to be concerned with the acquisition of energy – food, in other words. In humans, that structure is very complex, including control of perceptions of, for example, having a job, travelling to work, pleasing the boss, etc. etc.

None of this is equilibrium stuff. None of the variables would maintain their values if they were not actively controlled, and for most of them the control actions at higher levels keep altering their reference values, so that they don’t maintain constant values even when they are tightly controlled. Even a person who seems to be standing motionless has to vary muscle tensions in the legs so as to seem to be perfectly still. A person doing a job for pay in order to buy food is varying myriads of reference levels on time scales of partial seconds to months or years.

If the interpretation is correct, what benefits does adopting this equilibrium model offer to the wider world of social psychology and behavioral economics? Take any study carried out by “conventional” social scientists or behavioral economists. How would the study have been improved if the authors understood PCT? What would they have learned that they did not learn using the flawed methods of conventional psychology?

As you see, I don’t believe the interpretation [that PCT is an equilibrium model] is correct, but I can reinterpret the question as “If PCT is correct…”

To my mind, the problem in applying PCT scientifically as opposed to intuitively in a sociological context is that very little work has been done on the interactions of control systems behaving in a shared environment. Kent McLelland demonstrated the effects of conflict in linear systems, and if the interacting systems were actually linear, conflict would be evident in almost all interactions. But that’s not what we see. We see much more cooperation than conflict. Why?

There’s a whole open field of research about the kinds of nonlinearities in control systems that lead preferentially to cooperation rather than conflict. Consider just one aspect. Both the mathematics and McLelland’s simulations showed that if two linear control systems control through a shared environmental degree of freedom, the result is an exponential escalation of force from both until one of them is overwhelmed. But if the systems are non-linear in the sense that there is a threshold of error below which the systems don’t try to correct the error (known colloquially as “don’t sweat the small stuff”), then both can happily control, provided that the manipulations of whichever’s error momentarily exceeds its threshold don’t make the other’s error exceed its own threshold. That at least some control systems have a threshold below which they don’t act to reduce the error is illustrated by the fact that most of us don’t go to eat immediately we feel the first hint of hunger. We wait until hunger is sufficiently large, or until it is some socially accepted time to eat.

So you see that conflict is not assured when two nonlinear control systems control their perceptions by way of the same environmental degree of freedom. As I said, there’s a whole field of research waiting to be done on this kind of issue, and before one can seriously talk of a PCT science of sociology, such issues have to be addressed.

BG: As long as PCT is confined to the few domains in which it has been tested, it might be prudent to avoiding telling the great majority of psychologists, sociologists, and behavioral economists that their research is worthless and that they must start over again (but we cannot tell them how to undertake this massive reorganization because we don’t know).

Taking that into account, one could nevertheless talk about an intuitive PCT approach to sociological issues, recognizing that people try to control their perceptions, that those perceptions include environmental affordances, and that the control systems of other people are among those environmental affordances. Unfortunately, I know very little of actual sociological studies beyond what was brought up in my late-1950’s graduate school career. However, blathering on in ignorance, I would suspect that many of them are of the form “If you expose people to this influence, x% will react this way, whereas if you expose them to that influence only y% will do so.” The data presumably are correct, but under what circumstances could they be extrapolated to other populations and conditions, and what are the differences among the people that allow some to react one way and others not do do so? It is reasonable to expect that a PCT approach might suggest answers to these questions.

BG: Certainly these criticisms apply with equal force to all bio-medical research. Randomized clinical trials can never tell me how you will react to this dug. Perhaps a physician could say to a patient, “I am going to write you prescription that might be for an antibiotic, but might also be for a placebo. In three weeks I will switch you another drug (or placebo). In six weeks, I’ll know whether to begin a test using another drug/placebo combination.” The results might be conclusive, but in ways that always please the patient.

Sorry about the equilibrium red herring. Thanks for your response. I am anxious to learn from those who are more familiar with the missteps that characterize all research in psychology, social science, and behavioral economics exactly how these flawed studies should have been performed and what the experimenters might have learned that they otherwise missed.

Bruce

···

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Martin Taylor mmt-csg@mmtaylor.net wrote:

[From Bruce Gregory (2010.07.24.1732 EDT)]

Hi Boris,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response.

Hi, Bruce !

I see Bruce that nobody else (but Martin) is answering your questions. I'll
try to help you as I can, although I know that's not what you have expected.
I know also that I was to long as I saw you are always trying to be very
short. I hope it will not be disturbing to you.
Please except my apology for the use of English language. Maybe some things
will be less understandable, because I'm not expressing it in my native
language.

I'm very glad, that you are "on board", because you are showing some
disharmony in PCT and that's good, although it's maybe useless to show it,
as Bill and Richard accept "mistakes" of PCT in a very strange way.

I think that all those who "were silenced" through the time on CSGnet,
trying to help PCT to recognize it's "holes", recognized also that it's
useless job to try to help PCT to "improve" or "to get better". But I think
that all "silenced" members do "their own PCT" although they are not present
on CSGnet.

I think you are close enough to the "main point" of PCT and my opinion is,
that you understand well what PCT is trying to be, not what it is. So I
perfectly agree with Martin's opinion that PCT is not yet an equilibrium
model, but I think it's tending to be.

Bruce G :
As I see it, PCT is an equilibrium model of human behavior for which the
external world is largely a disturbance. Does this interpretation agree with
your understanding?

Boris H :
As far I understand the problem, I think that maybe you didn't define well
"equilibrium" in your question and that's maybe the reason why you didn't
get the answer you wanted.

BG: I agree!

For ex. Ashby put also other terms like "steady state", stability�By his
opinion all this terms underline the same THEME.
I think that PCT wants to be "equilibrial theory" (in Ashby's sense), but it
didn't get to that point yet. By my opinion there's quite some "miles" to
do, before it comes to the point of your rather good description. I'll try
to put some arguments to support my (our) opinion.

Bill P (in his book Sense of behavior, page 48,49,50,51) :
At the focus of this process of learning are the basic needs that have to be
met. We need a theoretical link between those basic needs and the process of
learning. Control theory suggests a link that is really a control system of
basic kind.
The object of control by this basic system is to keep certain physiological
and biochemical variables near particular values.
What we need, then, is a set of reference conditions defined by inherited
features of the system.
We need a set of sensors that can report the actual state of each critical
variable , and we need some comparison process that will create an error
signals when sensed value of critical variable differs from its reference
condition.
These wrongness signals are called in PCT, "intrinsic error" signals,
because they refer to basic physical conditions that are essential to
survival and are inside, intrinsic to the body�All that matters now is that
such a set so signals must exist, and that some or many of these error
signals are not at zero, the body is equiped to do something that we'll
restore them to zero. When the intrinsic error signal are restored to zero,
all the associated critical variables are once again near the built-in
reference states.I took these idea, incidentally from the cyberneticist W.
Ross Ashby because I thought he was right though I couldn't prove it.

BG: I agree. What I find interesting are the dramatic examples of breakdown of the system that signals intrinsic error. I report several examples on my website:

http://greaterfool.net/page47/page77/page77.html

When the breakdown detection system fails, is almost nothing the brain cannot accept as truth.

All
that remains is to turn the set if intrinsic error signals into learning.
And here we run into wall, not because we can't think of ways to do this,
but because there are many ways and we have no data that will tell us which
of these ways the human system actually uses.

BG: Again, I heartily agree.

We have now a very basic control system concerned with keeping some set of
intrinsic variables near built-in reference conditions. As usual, this
control system employs perception and comparison with reference conditions
to generate an error signal that drives action. The action is left somewhat
indefinite; it is the process of reorganization that alters the connection
in the nervous system.
The most important aspect of reorganizing system is that it is concerned
only with maintaining intrinsic error signals as close to zero as possible.

BG: Again, I agree.

Boris H :
I think this is essential to understand Bill's theory of "adapting" behavior
and the main role of nervous system with "trials and errors" or
reorganizations in neurons pathways and regulating the intensity and
coordination of effectors, while seeking equilibrium, steady-state,
reference state, reference conditions, internal standards (McClelland) or
whatever we call the state of relative physiological balance in organisms.
So I think you were right in describing the PCT as "equilibrium model".
Maybe you could say : model of goal oriented behavior to physiological
equilibrium. If the equilibrium is reference condition of the controled
quantity, then I think we talk about goal-directed behavior.

BG: Yes, and thanks.

Bill P (B:CP, 2005, page ) : Goal directed behavior
The most important explanatory feature is the reference signal because that
is what accounts for the reference condition of the controlled quantity. The
reference conditions is exactly what is meant by a goal.

Ashby (Design for a brain) :
Goal-seeking (page 54) : Every stable system has a property if displaced
from a state of equilibrium and released, the subsequent movement is so
matched to the initial displacement that the system is brought back to the
state of equilibrium.
The suggestion that an animal's behaviour is "adaptive" if the animal
"responds correctly to stimulus" must be rejected at once.
I propose the definition that a form of behaviour is adaptive if it
maintains the essential variables within the physiological limits.
The ultrastable system discused so far, through developing a variety of
fields, have sought a constant goal. The Homeostat sought central positions
and rat sought a zero grill-potential (page 131).
If the critical states "distribution in the main variables" phase-space is
altered by any means whatever, the ultrastable system will be altered in the
goal it seeks (page 132).

Boris H :
By my opinion is pretty clear what's the main purpose of above mentioned
citations. It's somehow obvious to me, that both theories (Ashby's and
Bill's) are homeostatical, equilibrial, seeking for stability after being
disturbed, with closed (circled) feed-back. I think that in Bill's theory it
must be added : control of perception whenever we are relating to the
environmental disturbances. And of course control hierarchy mustn't be
ignored.

Through the whole book "Design for a brain" example of kitten moving or
resting by the fire is presented in different Chapters. It's obviously that
kitten in it's "adapted behavior" is "protecting" essential variables from
being displaced to far from the state of equilibrium. And that's what, by my
opinion, every "Living Control system" is doing all the time. That's maybe
the answer to your question : "why" control systems are behaving. Probably
with main goal to reduce the "genetic intrinsic error" to zero.

BG: Sounds right on to me.

Boris H :
I also use this opportunity to express my viewpoint about PCT and CSGnet. I
think that despite it's "holes" is not such a "send-box" as you described
it. PCT is in fact a very good theory of control nature of living beings.
For me it's the best theory today. Principles of PCT are seen practically on
the whole world. For example : Glasser's psychoterapy called "Choice Theory"
or "Reality therapy", Carver's and Sheier's Self-regulation Theory,
Resolution Conflict Management in Europe, and there were some examples in
Dr. Phil's Show, etc. That's what I know of PCT influences. Maybe other
members know more.

Boris H :
I promoted PCT in Slovenia (corrected version with Bruce Abbott's Synopsis)
and it's slowly getting into science sphere. And my experiences so far shows
that momentally is no theory stronger in the field of Social Sciences, but
PCT, although is not perfect yet. The interacionist theory come close, but
it's lost when it comes to the question "why" interactants produce behavior
in each other.

Bruce G :
�.what benefits does adopting this equilibrium model offer to the wider
world of social psychology and behavioral economics?

Boris H :
If I understand you right, you are seeking for the impact of PCT on other
sciences, and that answer I can't give to you. But I can supply you with
some hints with "copies" of PCT that were used in many books. Specially
Bill's diagram is used very frequently.

1. Charles S. Carver; Michael F. Scheier; On the self regulation of behavior
(1998). Cambridge University Press (page 11, page 22).

2. The self in Social Psychology (1999) : Edited by Roy F. Baumeister (page
300).

3. Advances in Experimental Social Psychology (1998), Volume 21, Leonard
Berkowitz (page 307).

4. The self-regulation of health and illness behaviour (2003), Edited by
Linda Diane Cameron,Howard Leventhal (page 18).

5. Handbook of Psychology: Personality and social psychology (2003), Irving
B. Weiner (page 186).

6. Handbook of self-regulation: research, theory, and applications (2004).
Edited by Roy F. Baumeister,Kathleen D. Vohs (page 14).

Pages in titles refer to use of Bill's diagram. And there is usualy some
explanation about control hierarchy.

Most of these books you can get as previews. Please consider that Carver and
Scheier were Bill's "students" in Control Theory, as William Glasser was :
Stations of the Mind (1981).

BG: Thanks. I will follow up.

Bruce G :
Take any study carried out by "conventional" social scientists or behavioral
economists. How would the study have been improved if the authors understood
PCT? What would they have learned that they did not learn using the flawed
methods of conventional psychology?

Boris H :
I don't know what's really the impact of PCT on Social Sciences (maybe
McClelland could answer that), but I can try to suggest some direct
experiences with use of PCT in some Social Sciences and research work.
I see PCT as really important contribution to Social Work and Education or
in Socio-pedagogical Work in schools. I also find it's strong influence on
Training process.
The difference between classical approach and PCT is very clear specialy in
the way subjects communicate. If you understand communication as classical
fluctuation of information or as behavioristic input-output
(action-reaction) you can make too much damage to people relations and to
society, specially in schools.

Bg; I have been concerned with this problem for many years. One way I have expressed it my colleagues is to say that wheh students enter a classroom the are confronted by a set of problems. These problems often have little to do with the problems the teacher tries to address.

Generally I see the most important contribution of PCT in the way people
communicate and how they understand human nature in communication and other
relations. So I assume here that understanding the human nature imply to
some extend the way people communicate or relate to each other.

I see the problem for example in. religions (war between Muslims and
Christians). It seems it will never stop. Wrong communication, wrong
understanding of human nature. People are really acting as Living Control
Systems, all the time in conflict, with mass-thoughts of destructing each other.
I can difficultly speak of Economy, as I'm not economist. But as I see the
problem, it's about wrong understanding of human nature specially rich
managers, who by my opinion crashed American Economic system. I don't know
if that's exactly the reason. I make my conclusions upon informations I got
on TV. I see that you have New Economic Laws, which I think are the
consequence of new understanding the human nature which is closer to PCT.
Now after experiencing the true human nature, Laws changed to suit human
nature of managers who are now more restricted and should experiance their
own consequences. Thta's how I understood "New Deal".
I beleive that with understanding PCT, The New Economic Laws could be
accepted maybe earlier and there maybe wouldn't be such a World catastrophe.
I think if we leave managers do what they want, they'll first maximally
control their equilibrium (God makes beard to himself first). And as far as
I understand, all American people will have to pay for managers gluttony. I
know I'm simplifying the problem, but that's how I see it through the "eyes"
of PCT.

I think that all social events can be reduced to, and explained with human
nature and their relations. And there's always a problem how you understand
it. I think that the way we experience our human nature and understand it,
is the way we behave.

I don't know if I helped you much. But I did try my best. I hope you
understood my language :slight_smile:

BG: Boris you are suffering from the Dunning Kruger effect:

http://greaterfool.net/page47/page77/page77.html

In you case that's a good thing! You language conveyed beautifully. I can only urge those with ears to hear! Thanks again.

Best,

Bruce

···

On Jul 24, 2010, at 6:35 AM, Boris Hartman wrote:

[From Bill Powers (2010.07.25.0815 GMT)]
A very successful meeting is winding down here in Manchester.A large number of students attended, as well as CSGers Fred Good, Pamela Fox, and Kent McClelland (!). Rick Marken participated via Skype, which worked well. Guests from the British Association for Cognitive and Behavioral Psychotherapy (BABCP) came and were apparently quite won over. Warren Mansell is a great teacher and beloved by his students. His students speak fluently and within reason correctly about PCT, and they're doing real research, some of it highly important (Sara Tai, for example, is working with "psychotics" using the method of levels, with apparent success). Many of the studies bear the characteristics of conventional statistical IV-DV research, and the correlations are miserable in my eyes, but we had some good talks about how to revise the experiments to get them higher. Its partly a result of defining static controlled variables when they are actually dynamic (rates of change).

Got to go.More later.

Bill P.

[From Rick Marken (2010.07.25.1150)]

Bill Powers (2010.07.25.0815 GMT)--

A very successful meeting is winding down here in Manchester.

It was great to see you! Thanks for the summary.

Have a great time out there in jolly old. And please thank Sara and
Warren again for me for making it possible for me to attend virtually,
if only briefly;-)

Best

Rick

···

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com