an idea

David Goldstein (2013.06.03.12:15)

I have been rereading some of Bill’s book ( Behavior: The control of Perception) this weekend,

and wondered if there was any interest in doing a group read-through, chapter by chapter. We could

reference people who have followed through on what he says.

I will be doing it myself and it occurred to me that this might be a way of remembering, paying tribute

to a great man and improving our communication with each other.

David

Kent McClelland (2013.06.03.1100 CDT)

I have been rereading some of Bill’s book ( Behavior: The control of Perception) this weekend,

and wondered if there was any interest in doing a group read-through, chapter by chapter. We could

I will be doing it myself and it occurred to me that this might be a way of remembering, paying tribute

KM: This does sound like a fitting tribute, David, but reading a whole book through aloud is a long process, and I wouldn’t want to take time away from other important purposes for meeting together in Boulder, such as discussing the future of CSG, talking
about Bill’s plan for another book, and finding out about any new work on PCT that people assembled there have been doing.

Perhaps we could do readings of excerpts, rather than the whole thing?

Best,

Kent

Fred Nickols (2013.06.03.1226 EDT)

I didn’t understand David to mean reading aloud. I took his suggestion to mean we would all read a chapter and then later discuss it.

Fred Nickols

···

Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 12:05 PM
To: CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU
Subject: Re: an idea

KM: This does sound like a fitting tribute, David, but reading a whole book through aloud is a long process, and I wouldn’t want to take time away from other important purposes for meeting together in Boulder, such as discussing the future of CSG, talking about Bill’s plan for another book, and finding out about any new work on PCT that people assembled there have been doing.

Best,

Kent

Kent,

Maybe I didn’t explain myself well. I was thinking of doing it in writing on the CSG net. We would do it chapter by chapter for a time period, which allows as many comments as it generates. Then, we would go on to the next chapter.

An alternative idea is for each person to describe a research project in which he/she is applying PCT/MOL. For example, I just came across an article in which Tim Carey observed a 10-year old, autistic child, with the goal of discovering what variables of experience were being controlled.

I kind of like the second idea better .

David

···

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 3, 2013, at 12:04 PM, “McClelland, Kent” MCCLEL@GRINNELL.EDU wrote:

KM: This does sound like a fitting tribute, David, but reading a whole book through aloud is a long process, and I wouldn’t want to take time away from other important purposes for meeting together in Boulder, such as discussing the future of CSG, talking
about Bill’s plan for another book, and finding out about any new work on PCT that people assembled there have been doing.

Best,

Kent

[From Richard Pfau (2013.06.03.12:30)]

Ref: David Goldstein (2013.06.03.12:15)

David,

Would reading a chapter a week, with readers making any substantive comments, insights, expansions, disagreements (if any), and references to related work by others that they would like to post on CSGNet being made, say, on Friday of that week?

If done, shall we use the 2005 edition? Would you lead the effort with a schedule posted of dates chapters should be read and commented upon?

With Regards,

Richard Pfau

DG: I have been rereading some of Bill’s book ( Behavior: The control of Perception) this weekend,

David

David,

No, your idea makes good sense once I get it into the right context. I was just focused on what will happen at the gathering in Boulder for Bill’s memorial service this weekend.

Either of your ideas sounds reasonable, and something may be needed to keep CSGnet going in a way that’s beneficial for everyone, now that we don’t have Bill here to participate. Thanks for taking some leadership on this.

Kent

···

On Jun 3, 2013, at 11:29 AM, D Goldstein wrote:

Kent,

Maybe I didn’t explain myself well. I was thinking of doing it in writing on the CSG net. We would do it chapter by chapter for a time period, which allows as many comments as it generates. Then, we would go on to the next chapter.

An alternative idea is for each person to describe a research project in which he/she is applying PCT/MOL. For example, I just came across an article in which Tim Carey observed a 10-year old, autistic child, with the goal of discovering what variables
of experience were being controlled.

David

Sent from my iPhone

Best,

Kent

John Kirkland (2013 06 04 0800 NZT)

Thanks for the suggestions David, I’d like to chip in to PlanA and to PlanB.

Might I offer a guiding a caveat? The editorial constraint of Contemporary Psychology may be helpful. There, any subsequent comment, rebuttal, example etc. is less than half the length of the previous one. This may keep minds focused and prevent runaway positive feedback.

Further, are there other means to assist contributions from lurkers and tyros? After all, it’s PCt to err.

Those people who have been members of other reading groups may have additional comments and suggestions.

I nominate David as forum moderator.

Kind regards

JohnK

···

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 6:36 AM, McClelland, Kent MCCLEL@grinnell.edu wrote:

David,

No, your idea makes good sense once I get it into the right context. I was just focused on what will happen at the gathering in Boulder for Bill’s memorial service this weekend.

Either of your ideas sounds reasonable, and something may be needed to keep CSGnet going in a way that’s beneficial for everyone, now that we don’t have Bill here to participate. Thanks for taking some leadership on this.

Kent

On Jun 3, 2013, at 11:29 AM, D Goldstein wrote:

Kent,

An alternative idea is for each person to describe a research project in which he/she is applying PCT/MOL. For example, I just came across an article in which Tim Carey observed a 10-year old, autistic child, with the goal of discovering what variables
of experience were being controlled.

David

Sent from my iPhone

Best,

Kent

[From Rick Marken (2013.06.03.1525)]

Kent,

I think this is a great idea. The only suggestion I would make is to expand the forum somehow beyond CSGNet. There are several people I can think of who I believe could make a great contribution to such an effort but who are not on CSGNet. Off the top of my head there are:

Henry Yin
Heather Bell
Warren Mansell
Tim Carey
Sara Tai

None of these folk is on CSGNet, as far as I know. Perhaps they wouldn’t have the time or wouldn’t want to participate. But I think we should give everyone a chance to contribute. I think it’s really a terrific idea. So assuming you, David, are the leader of this effort, what do you think we should do? Should I write all these people and ask them to join CSGNet for the discussion? Should we just include non-CSGNet people in an address list that includes CSGNet? Should we put it all on (gasp) Facebook?

There are probably several other people – students of some of the above named people, for example – who would also be valuable participants in this discussion. How should we handle getting as many people who are interested in PCT involved in this great idea of yours?

Best regards

Rick

···

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM, D Goldstein davidmg@verizon.net wrote:

An alternative idea is for each person to describe a research project in which he/she is applying PCT/MOL. For example, I just came across an article in which Tim Carey observed a 10-year old, autistic child, with the goal of discovering what variables of experience were being controlled.

David

Sent from my iPhone

Best,

Kent

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Chad Green (2013.06.06.1100)]

I'd like to hear from those who have personally benefitted from the Method of Levels approach. Are there any testimonials online?

In the meantime, I see that the PCT Wikipedia page is evolving nicely.

Best,
Chad

Chad Green, PMP
Program Analyst
Loudoun County Public Schools
21000 Education Court
Ashburn, VA 20148
Voice: 571-252-1486
Fax: 571-252-1633

"If you want sense, you'll have to make it yourself." - Norton Juster

Richard Marken <rsmarken@GMAIL.COM> 6/3/2013 6:26 PM >>>

[From Rick Marken (2013.06.03.1525)]

Kent,
Maybe I didn't explain myself well. I was thinking of doing it in writing
on the CSG net. We would do it chapter by chapter for a time period, which
allows as many comments as it generates. Then, we would go on to the next
chapter.

I think this is a great idea. The only suggestion I would make is to expand
the forum somehow beyond CSGNet. There are several people I can think of
who I believe could make a great contribution to such an effort but who are
not on CSGNet. Off the top of my head there are:

Henry Yin
Heather Bell
Warren Mansell
Tim Carey
Sara Tai

None of these folk is on CSGNet, as far as I know. Perhaps they wouldn't
have the time or wouldn't want to participate. But I think we should give
everyone a chance to contribute. I think it's really a terrific idea. So
assuming you, David, are the leader of this effort, what do you think we
should do? Should I write all these people and ask them to join CSGNet for
the discussion? Should we just include non-CSGNet people in an address list
that includes CSGNet? Should we put it all on (gasp) Facebook?

There are probably several other people -- students of some of the above
named people, for example -- who would also be valuable participants in
this discussion. How should we handle getting as many people who are
interested in PCT involved in this great idea of yours?

Best regards

Rick

···

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM, D Goldstein <davidmg@verizon.net> wrote:

An alternative idea is for each person to describe a research project in
which he/she is applying PCT/MOL. For example, I just came across an
article in which Tim Carey observed a 10-year old, autistic child, with the
goal of discovering what variables of experience were being controlled.

David

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 3, 2013, at 12:04 PM, "McClelland, Kent" <MCCLEL@GRINNELL.EDU> > wrote:

I have been rereading some of Bill's book ( Behavior: The control of
Perception) this weekend,
and wondered if there was any interest in doing a group read-through,
chapter by chapter. We could

I will be doing it myself and it occurred to me that this might be a way
of remembering, paying tribute

KM: This does sound like a fitting tribute, David, but reading a whole
book through aloud is a long process, and I wouldn't want to take time away
from other important purposes for meeting together in Boulder, such as
discussing the future of CSG, talking about Bill's plan for another book,
and finding out about any new work on PCT that people assembled there have
been doing.

Best,

Kent

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[David Goldstein (2013.12.03.17:52)]

Dear CSGnet friends,

It is wonderful to see so many CSGnet people respond to Warren’s book idea.

Rick and I were wondering whether there would be any interest in going through Bill’s

new book, LCS III, like we did his orignal book. We could do one chapter per one or two weeks.

What do you think? It doesn’t have to stop any of the other discussions, like are having right now. It just gives us a common curriculum.

If there is some interest, we could start after the new year.

David

[John Kirkland 20131204]

(The Music clips attached and played fine)

Yes, please count me in for the next book David.
It’ll be a nice follow through, follow on.

Is there any chance of starting a bit later since it’s our long summer break here starting Christmas Eve?

On a PCT-related matter for those of you deploying MoL, does there tend to be a visible disruption as clients appear to move across and between levels? I’m curious since it’s noted in ‘The Wonder Weeks’ level accretion is usually characterised by otherwise unexplained fussiness.

Kind regards

JohnK

···

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 11:57 AM, D GOLDSTEIN davidmg@verizon.net wrote:

Dear CSGnet friends,

Rick and I were wondering whether there would be any interest in going through Bill’s

new book, LCS III, like we did his orignal book. We could do one chapter per one or two weeks.

What do you think? It doesn’t have to stop any of the other discussions, like are having right now. It just gives us a common curriculum.

David

I might be completely out of line, but this made me think of what I learned raising babies, and Jean Piaget’s theory of human development. I would have to study again to see if his theories are at all aligned with Dad’s.

The part your question reminded me of was when he said that before a period of progression, there would be a period of regression. His theory (as I remember it at least) was that we are continually on this type of spiral as we develop over the years. Ex: As a baby was progressively learning to become more mobile, he would suddenly have a period of not making as much effort, and also get rather cranky at the same time. Then suddenly there would be a burst of energy, and voila, the happier baby is now crawling around!

I did observe this crankiness in my own children as they went from crawling to walking, from grunting to talking, from learning numbers to having the light bulb go off when addition suddenly made sense. It’s been my belief that people continue following that same spiral, even in to their more mature years, tho’ perhaps at a more subtle or slow pace.

I apologize if I’m far off your track, but I remember Piaget having a big influence on the way I raised my kids, and I know I talked with my parents about that. I believe Mom had recommended a book of his to me.

*barb

···

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 4:06 PM, John Kirkland johnkirkland@gmail.com wrote:

[John Kirkland 20131204]

Is there any chance of starting a bit later since it’s our long summer break here starting Christmas Eve?

On a PCT-related matter for those of you deploying MoL, does there tend to be a visible disruption as clients appear to move across and between levels? I’m curious since it’s noted in ‘The Wonder Weeks’ level accretion is usually characterised by otherwise unexplained fussiness.

Kind regards

JohnK

Dear CSGnet friends,

David

[From Fred Nickols (2013.12.03.1926 EST)]

Count me in.

Fred Nickols

···

Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 5:58 PM
Subject: an idea

Dear CSGnet friends,

David

[From Mike Acree (2013.12.03.19:30 PST)]

Barb:

Arthur Koestler’s book
The Act of Creation has a whole chapter on exactly this process: Book Two, Chapter IV: Reculer Pour Mieux Sauter (Draw Back to Leap). He explores its implications in the evolution of individuals, cultures, and species, including psychotherapy and
dreaming. He doesn’t cite Piaget in this chapter, though he does elsewhere in the book. Despite its age (1964), I highly recommend this beautifully written book in general, a study of the creative process in scientific discovery (the “Aha” experience), art
(the “Ah” experience), and humor (the “Haha” experience).

Mike

···

I might be completely out of line, but this made me think of what I learned raising babies, and Jean Piaget’s theory of human development. I would have to study again to see if his theories are at all aligned with Dad’s.

The part your question reminded me of was when he said that before a period of progression, there would be a period of regression. His theory (as I remember it at least) was that we are continually on this type of spiral as we develop
over the years. Ex: As a baby was progressively learning to become more mobile, he would suddenly have a period of not making as much effort, and also get rather cranky at the same time. Then suddenly there would be a burst of energy, and voila, the happier
baby is now crawling around!

I did observe this crankiness in my own children as they went from crawling to walking, from grunting to talking, from learning numbers to having the light bulb go off when addition suddenly made sense. It’s been my belief that people
continue following that same spiral, even in to their more mature years, tho’ perhaps at a more subtle or slow pace.

I apologize if I’m far off your track, but I remember Piaget having a big influence on the way I raised my kids, and I know I talked with my parents about that. I believe Mom had recommended a book of his to me.

*barb

I’ll look in to that, it sounds like an excellent read! Thank you…

*barb

···

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 8:30 PM, Acree, Michael AcreeM@ocim.ucsf.edu wrote:

[From Mike Acree (2013.12.03.19:30 PST)]

Barb:

Arthur Koestler’s book
The Act of Creation has a whole chapter on exactly this process: Book Two, Chapter IV: Reculer Pour Mieux Sauter (Draw Back to Leap). He explores its implications in the evolution of individuals, cultures, and species, including psychotherapy and
dreaming. He doesn’t cite Piaget in this chapter, though he does elsewhere in the book. Despite its age (1964), I highly recommend this beautifully written book in general, a study of the creative process in scientific discovery (the “Aha” experience), art
(the “Ah” experience), and humor (the “Haha” experience).

Mike

The part your question reminded me of was when he said that before a period of progression, there would be a period of regression. His theory (as I remember it at least) was that we are continually on this type of spiral as we develop
over the years. Ex: As a baby was progressively learning to become more mobile, he would suddenly have a period of not making as much effort, and also get rather cranky at the same time. Then suddenly there would be a burst of energy, and voila, the happier
baby is now crawling around!

I did observe this crankiness in my own children as they went from crawling to walking, from grunting to talking, from learning numbers to having the light bulb go off when addition suddenly made sense. It’s been my belief that people
continue following that same spiral, even in to their more mature years, tho’ perhaps at a more subtle or slow pace.

*barb

[From Rupert Young (2013.12.04 10.40 UT)]

DG: It is wonderful to see so many CSGnet people respond to Warren's book idea.

What was the idea? Did I miss something?

Regards,
Rupert

Yep, in fact that is one of the two goals of MOL - to notice ‘disruptions’.

Warren

···

Dear CSGnet friends,

David

Hi there, I'll let Alice explain. But in essence it was Bill's idea, not mine, shared with the family, and there were a bunch of people Bill initially selected to review the process and author material. The idea is to ultimately draw on all the resources in the CSG and published work, and get peer reviews through a wider network too.
I will liaise with Alice and keep CSG updated on progress! By the way, LCS III is such a gem, a course sounds great.
Warren

···

Sent from my iPhone

On 4 Dec 2013, at 10:39, Rupert Young <rupert@MOONSIT.CO.UK> wrote:

[From Rupert Young (2013.12.04 10.40 UT)]

DG: It is wonderful to see so many CSGnet people respond to Warren's book idea.

What was the idea? Did I miss something?

Regards,
Rupert

What is the other goal, Warren?

Fred Nickols

···

Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 7:00 AM

Warren

Sent from my iPhone

On 3 Dec 2013, at 23:06, John Kirkland johnkirkland@GMAIL.COM wrote:

[John Kirkland 20131204]

Kind regards

JohnK

Dear CSGnet friends,

David

To help them keep talking about a present problem… see our books or articles…(Carey; Mansell)

···

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Fred Nickols fred@nickols.us wrote:

What is the other goal, Warren?

Fred Nickols

Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 7:00 AM

Warren

Sent from my iPhone

On 3 Dec 2013, at 23:06, John Kirkland johnkirkland@GMAIL.COM wrote:

[John Kirkland 20131204]

Kind regards

JohnK

Dear CSGnet friends,

David

Dr Warren Mansell
Reader in Psychology

Cognitive Behavioural Therapist & Chartered Clinical Psychologist
School of Psychological Sciences
Coupland I
University of Manchester
Oxford Road
Manchester M13 9PL
Email: warren.mansell@manchester.ac.uk

Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 8589

See teamstrial.net for further information on our trial of CBT for Bipolar Disorders in NW England

The highly acclaimed therapy manual on A Transdiagnostic Approach to CBT using Method of Levels is available now.

Check www.pctweb.org for further information on Perceptual Control Theory