Analyzing feedback paths

[From Rick Marken (2012.11.07.1740)]

Kent McClelland (2012.11.05.1350) –

Hi Kent

I’m busy trying to re-write a paper at the moment so I’ll leave the discussion of feedback functions to you. But I will quickly comment on this:

KM: Let me say again, if we want to spread the word about PCT among social scientists, we need to focus on a level of analysis that they are really interested in, and the predominant focus of PCT scholars on what happens inside the person’s head, while paying less
attention to what happens in the person’s environment, has made it harder for us to communicate with many social scientists.

RM: I don’t see the focus of my work on PCT as being what happens inside a person’s head. I would say my focus is on understanding control (as seen, particularly, in the behavior of living organisms) via modeling. To understand controlling you have to know what is going on the controller’s environment (an environment that is likely to contain other controllers) as well as in their head. For example, to understand object interception you have to include in a model of this behavior the physical trajectory of the object to be intercepted (which is going on in the environment) and the neural computations that are assumed to be going on in the head of the interceptor.

My feeling is that most social scientists are right to think that PCT doesn’t focus on what they are interested in because PCT focuses on a phenomenon that most social scientists are not even aware of: control. My experience is that most social scientists are like the blind men and the elephant – depending on their stripe they focus on certain aspects of control but not on control itself. Those, like the one’s you mention, who focus on the environment are focusing on the “behavioral illusion” aspects of control (behavior that is “shaped” by disturbances to controlled variables and the nature of the feedback function connecting behavior to controlled input). Those who focus only on what’s going on in the head (cognitive types) are focusing on variations in behavior resulting from variations in internal specifications for input (reference signals).

I believe we won’t be getting many social scientists to pay attention to PCT until we are able to teach them what control is and convince them that behavior is control. Since most social scientists are comfortable looking at behavior in the way that is familiar to them we probably won’t get them to pay attention to PCT. The social scientists who eventually do get interested in PCT (and actually understand it) have done so without any prodding; they are controlling for understanding (rather than understandingness – a term that Mary Powers came up with years before Colbert coined the term truthiness). Most social scientists (and people in general) seem to be satisfied with understandingness and I don’t think there is anything one can do about it. Well, there is one thing one can do about it; stop hoping that they will want to understand. Just keep doing work on PCT and hope that eventually some bright young person gets interested and runs with it. This does happen every so often and it’s very exciting; but it’s rare (like a perfectly aged camembert).

Best

Rick

···

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Bill Powers (2012.11.07.12915 MST)]

Kent McClelland (2012.11.07.1445 CST) --

KM: The hammer that you're talking about, Bill, is not just an object with physical properties. It is a manufactured artifact that has been designed with socially standardized physical properties. ... There's no law that says that hammers must be constructed with a given shape and weight, but a complex history of the traditional shaping of the tool to match its customary uses by craftsmen, followed by market competition between manufacturers of hammers to produce tools matching that customary design, has ultimately led to a product that is largely standardized.

This standardization of products like hammers has some important consequences from a PCT perspective. First, the person who has learned how to use a hammer (in precisely the trial-and-error-and-reorganization way that Bill describes in his post) can pick up another hammer and immediately be able to use it in much the same way as previously used hammers.

BP: I see the point you're making. What you've done is show that if you substitute one hammer for another of the same manufacture and stated purpose (like a ball-peen hammer), the person wielding it will experience a minimum of errors and may not notice the substitution. But I think you're carrying the point too far, essentially assuming that if a hammer with different characteristics is substituted, the user will have significant difficulties with using it. You assume that the person can't cope with disturbances and control well in spite of them. That is the conventional assumption.

One of the main features of a control system is that without any adaptation at all, the same control system can achieve good control of a result even if the feedback function changes substantially. Demo 5-1 in LCS3 was designed to show this, and much more, to John Flach, who cited a classical experiment in engineering psychology which purported to show that the human being doing a tracking task adapted -- changed dynamical parameters of a control system -- when the nature of the load changed. This demo shows that a simple two-level hierarchy, in which position is controlled by varying a reference level for velocity, reproduces the apparent adaptation without actually changing any of the control system's properties at all. Negative feedback control renders control quite insensitive to changes in characteristics of the external load, and even changes in its own output function.

It's possible, of course, that manufacturers of hammers do go through elaborate standardization processes, but that is only because they don't understand how control works. It's the same mind-set that says control requires perceiving the causes of disturbances and calculating how the output must be adjusted to compensate for them, or requires that the properties of the environment must be analyzed and the necessary command signals must be found through inverse kinematic and dynamic calculations. That is what normal intuition tells us, but it is wrong.

KM: Of course, the feel of the new hammer might be slightly different, but the muscular reorganization process necessary to use the hammer efficiently (to hammer in nails, of course) can proceed very rapidly, because the new hammer is so much like previous ones.

BP: This contains the assumption I'm talking about. It is not necessary for any reorganization to happen if the new hammer is slightly different from the old one. Control is not a matter of calculating the appropriate output and then executing it. Reorganization is needed if there is a very large change in properties of the feedback path, but smaller changes that would require reorganization of open-loop behavior are compensated for in a closed-loop system by automatic changes in the output action.

KM: Second, while some users of hammers will find creative and unusual uses for the tool, as in the window-propping example Bill gives, a social scientific observer studying the uses of hammers would be likely to observe that most users most of the time use hammers in the conventionally expected way to pound in nails to fasten pieces of wood together. And because imitation is an important part of the human learning process, neophytes learning to use hammers are likely to imitate experienced users of hammer by using the tool (most of the time) in a way that is similar, if not precisely identical, to the way that the great majority of other users have traditionally used it. In other words, there is a lot of cultural predictability (if not total uniformity) in the ways that hammers are used.

BP: If control required analysis and inverse calculations, what you say here would follow quite logically. But it doesn't, and what you say doesn't follow. In a way, you're doing something quite similar to what economic theorists do: you assume a certain model as a premise, and on that basis choose examples that fit the way that model works. But that does not show that the real system works that way, or that the example would fit real behavior. What sounds like an example is really just a deduction from an assumed theory.

KM: Thus, relative uniformity in the physical environment--the standardized design of the hammer as an artifact--goes hand in hand (or hammer in hand?) with relative uniformities in behavioral patterns.

BP: I hope you're starting to read your own words with little stirrings of discontent by this point. Yes, of course, if the uniformity of results of behavior depended on being placed in a uniform environment, you would expect that to get uniform behavior you must have a uniform environment. But you know that isn't true, because you understand negative feedback control as only a successful modeler can understand it, and if you applied what you know you would see immediately that the premise is wrong. We see uniform consequences of behavior -- the nail is accurately struck and sinks in blow by blow. But we know that this happens in spite of numerous variations in the environment and the person's relationship to it, and that a negative feedback system comes close to erasing the potential effects of such variations. All those curves in the shaft of the scythe so lovingly carved in by the superb old craftsman represent superstitions and do not substantially alter how the user of the scythe handles it. The admiring user doesn't realize that his other scythe is just as easy to use even though the old craftsman who made it had different superstitions and made his shafts quite differently. Our control systems deal with most disturbances so easily and (apparently) effortlessly that we don't even realize there was a disturbance.

KM: Third, and most importantly, the hammer exemplifies an important fact about the living environments of people in economically developed countries. We are surrounded by manufactured artifacts that have been designed, produced, and marketed with culturally conventional uses in mind. Virtually everything that we see or touch in our homes and workplaces is some kind of manufactured artifact that has been carefully designed to help us control one perception or another. Purposes, in the form of the intended uses of manufactured objects, have in some sense been built into the myriad objects that surround us.

BP: That's the current wisdom, I agree. But all those careful designs are mostly wasted because they're mostly unnecessary, though it's easy to imagine that they are helpful. Design isn't a complete waste of time, of course -- very bad designs become quite noticeable, but one can learn to get the wanted results in spite of them.

KM: Objects like hammers can be seen as controlled environmental variables that result from an extremely complex collective control process in which "a multitude of people," to use Bob Hintz's words, (the miners, mine owners, foremen, transport workers, transport company owners and executives, manufacturing executives and owners and stockholders, factory workers, engineers, designers, sales workers, accountants, OSHA regulators, more transport workers, wholesale distributors, yet more transport workers, advertisers, retail store sales and management workers, and probably many more people that I've overlooked) have cooperated in setting up and maintaining the complicated supply, manufacturing, and distribution chains that bring hammers to market and put them into the hands of the end users.

BP: Nope, I don't buy it. Your descriptions are theoretical. That's how things would be if design, supply, manufacturing, and distribution were critical to making something at all usable. But I don't see that they're critical. They have some effect, of course, but it's not a big effect and people can find something to use to achieve almost any purpose without any great amount of standardization. Standardization probably benefits the manufacturer more than the user. I exaggerate, but only in an attempt to counterbalance the exaggerated complexity and finesse that is being assumed.

I'm about done, but there's one more point to make.

KM: From the perspective of the user, the hammer is not in itself a controlled environmental variable, except as its motions are controlled by the user to achieve control of the perception of using nails to fasten pieces of wood together. (Notice that 2-by-4's and the nails used to fasten them together are also standardized products with their intended uses also in some sense built in.) The hammer, nails, and pieces of wood are simply the means chosen by the user to control the perception of building a planned wooden structure, and not ends in themselves. In the PCT analysis that I am trying to develop, they serve as segments of a feedback path to link the user's physical actions with the perception that the user is seeking to control of successfully building the planned structure.

BP: The biggest problem I see at this point is that you're doing a one-level analysis. The hammer, nails, and pieces of wood exist at many levels, from objects with color and weight, to objects with shapes, to objects moving in certain manners, to objects in relationship to other objects, and so on. And they are controlled by a hierarchy in which each level of perception of objects is also a level of control -- the means of achieving a goal at one level is not an object at the bottom level, but a control system dealing with objects as seen and acted upon at the next lower level.

What I'm trying to do here is to take hold of that structure you're building and give it a shake, so it no longer feels secure enough to stand on. As I see it, it has already been shaped by the sociology that preceded PCT, and you'e putting yourself in the position of having to defend ideas that you no longer actually believe, if you stop to think of them a little further.

My intent is not destructive. In fact, in fields where I have a history of any length, I look forward to shaking the structure up a bit, because finding anything truly wrong in it is a wonderful experience that we have all too seldom: the experience of discovering something new, outside the boxes where we ordinarily think. Any truly revolutionary idea in science is like a view through an unexpected knothole into a new universe which we didn't even suspect to exist. When I think of changing sociology to be consistent with PCT, I am filled with anticipation -- what wonders will Kent come up with?

Enough, too many words. But maybe they contain the seeds of some interesting experiments.

Best,

Bill

PCT vs. behaviorism ?

BP :

Why does a person control anything at all? I think we can at least make a list of necessities as opposed (nasprotje) to discretionary (samovoljen, neomejen) control processes. A person must eat, stay warm, stay safe, stay healthy, breathe, and so on. These requirements are not defined by the feedback paths, but by a hierarchy of goals ranging from gene expressions to system concepts.

RM:

I don’t see the focus of my work on PCT as being what happens inside a person’s head. I would say my focus is on understanding control (as seen, particularly, in the behavior of living organisms) via modeling. To understand controlling you have to know what is going on the controller’s environment (an environment that is likely to contain other controllers) as well as in their head. For example, to understand object interception you have to include in a model of this behavior the physical trajectory of the object to be intercepted (which is going on in the environment) and the neural computations that are assumed to be going on in the head of the interceptor….

.I believe we won’t be getting many social scientists to pay attention to PCT until we are able to teach them what control is and convince them that behavior is control.

HB :

Are you talking the same PCT language ?

Best,

Boris

···

----- Original Message -----

Richard Marken

To: CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU

Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:37 AM

Subject: Re: Analyzing feedback paths

Hi Kent

I’m busy trying to re-write a paper at the moment so I’ll leave the discussion of feedback functions to you. But I will quickly comment on this:

KM: Let me say again, if we want to spread the word about PCT among social scientists, we need to focus on a level of analysis that they are really interested in, and the predominant focus of PCT scholars on what happens inside the person's head, while paying less attention to what happens in the person's environment, has made it harder for us to communicate with many social scientists.

RM: I don’t see the focus of my work on PCT as being what happens inside a person’s head. I would say my focus is on understanding control (as seen, particularly, in the behavior of living organisms) via modeling. To understand controlling you have to know what is going on the controller’s environment (an environment that is likely to contain other controllers) as well as in their head. For example, to understand object interception you have to include in a model of this behavior the physical trajectory of the object to be intercepted (which is going on in the environment) and the neural computations that are assumed to be going on in the head of the interceptor.

My feeling is that most social scientists are right to think that PCT doesn’t focus on what they are interested in because PCT focuses on a phenomenon that most social scientists are not even aware of: control. My experience is that most social scientists are like the blind men and the elephant – depending on their stripe they focus on certain aspects of control but not on control itself. Those, like the one’s you mention, who focus on the environment are focusing on the “behavioral illusion” aspects of control (behavior that is “shaped” by disturbances to controlled variables and the nature of the feedback function connecting behavior to controlled input). Those who focus only on what’s going on in the head (cognitive types) are focusing on variations in behavior resulting from variations in internal specifications for input (reference signals).

I believe we won’t be getting many social scientists to pay attention to PCT until we are able to teach them what control is and convince them that behavior is control. Since most social scientists are comfortable looking at behavior in the way that is familiar to them we probably won’t get them to pay attention to PCT. The social scientists who eventually do get interested in PCT (and actually understand it) have done so without any prodding; they are controlling for understanding (rather than understandingness – a term that Mary Powers came up with years before Colbert coined the term truthiness). Most social scientists (and people in general) seem to be satisfied with understandingness and I don’t think there is anything one can do about it. Well, there is one thing one can do about it; stop hoping that they will want to understand. Just keep doing work on PCT and hope that eventually some bright young person gets interested and runs with it. This does happen every so often and it’s very exciting; but it’s rare (like a perfectly aged camembert).

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

PCT vs. behaviorism ?

BP :

Why does a person control anything at all? I think we can at least make a list of necessities as opposed to discretionary control processes. A person must eat, stay warm, stay safe, stay healthy, breathe, and so on. These requirements are not defined by the feedback paths, but by a hierarchy of goals ranging from gene expressions to system concepts.

RM:

I don’t see the focus of my work on PCT as being what happens inside a person’s head. I would say my focus is on understanding control (as seen, particularly, in the behavior of living organisms) via modeling. To understand controlling you have to know what is going on the controller’s environment (an environment that is likely to contain other controllers) as well as in their head. For example, to understand object interception you have to include in a model of this behavior the physical trajectory of the object to be intercepted (which is going on in the environment) and the neural computations that are assumed to be going on in the head of the interceptor….

.I believe we won’t be getting many social scientists to pay attention to PCT until we are able to teach them what control is and convince them that behavior is control.

HB :

Best,

Boris

···

Richard Marken

Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:37 AM

Hi Kent

KM: Let me say again, if we want to spread the word about PCT among social scientists, we need to focus on a level of analysis that they are really interested in, and the predominant focus of PCT scholars on what happens inside the person's head, while paying less attention to what happens in the person's environment, has made it harder for us to communicate with many social scientists.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Bill Powers (2012.11.09.0204 MST)]

HB: PCT vs. behaviorism ?

BP :

Why does a person control anything at all? I think we can at least make a
list of necessities as opposed (nasprotje) to discretionary (samovoljen,
neomejen) control processes. A person must eat, stay warm, stay safe,
stay healthy, breathe, and so on. These requirements are not defined by
the feedback paths, but by a hierarchy of goals ranging from gene
expressions to system concepts.

RM:

I don’t see the focus of my work on PCT as being what happens inside a
person’s head. I would say my focus is on understanding control (as seen,
particularly, in the behavior of living organisms) via
modeling. To understand controlling you have to know what is going
on the controller’s environment (an environment that is likely to
contain other controllers) as well as in their head. For example, to
understand object interception `you have to include in a model of this
behavior the physical trajectory of the object to be intercepted (which
is going on in the environment) and the neural computations that are
assumed to be going on in the head of the interceptor….

BP: Models, like all other things we know about and experience, are
neural signals in a brain (according to one model). They are our best
guess about what is happening in some inaccessible place we call
“the real world.” Boris is right in wondering whether Rick is
talking the same language.

On the other hand, to get anything done we have to settle on a set of
models, at least for the present, and test them to find out what
experiences they predict correctly. So Rick is right, too, except for
having chosen language that implies direct knowledge of the environment.

The only reality we know is what we experience, but the idea that this
experience takes place inside a brain is part of a model, and we don’t
have any way of knowing whether the model is right. That said, we use the
model as usual, assuming its truth and testing for contradictions of that
assumption. The Test for the Controlled Variable gives us a way to
disconfirm any proposed controlled variable, so at least we can know if
the model is obviously untrue. And we can see that more than one
definition of any controlled variable is possible, so we know that many
of the possible assumptions about understanding the environment are
false. But do we know that all the rest of them are true? That doesn’t
follow.

As far as I am concerned, this whole question is unresolved. We’re safest
in assuming that “it’s all perception,” at least for now. This
means that all we know is the output of some set of perceptual input
functions, and that we have no way of knowing the actual inputs from the
environment into these functions. Since that seems to be true of all
possible kinds of experiences, there is no point in repeating this
qualification after every sentence. Until testing proves otherwise, we
simply assume that we’re all experiencing the same world, at least while
we’re working on models.

Best,

Bill P.

···

At 10:28 PM 11/8/2012 +0100, boris_upc wrote:

[From Kent McClelland (2012.11.08.1015 CST)]

Thanks, Bill, for your thoughtful reply to my last post. I appreciate the corrective on some things I wasn't thinking about carefully enough, but I don't think it negates the basic point that I wanted to make. It seems like we may be able to make some progress in coming to a compromise position that is somewhere between our two initial viewpoints and may be stronger than either.

The opportunity for this kind of exchange is why I've been airing some preliminary ideas in this thread for things I'd like to write. I'd like to iron out problems before I put something into print.

[From Bill Powers (2012.11.07.12915 MST)]

Kent McClelland (2012.11.07.1445 CST) --

KM: The hammer that you're talking about, Bill, is not just an object with physical properties. It is a manufactured artifact that has been designed with socially standardized physical properties. ... There's no law that says that hammers must be constructed with a given shape and weight, but a complex history of the traditional shaping of the tool to match its customary uses by craftsmen, followed by market competition between manufacturers of hammers to produce tools matching that customary design, has ultimately led to a product that is largely standardized.

This standardization of products like hammers has some important consequences from a PCT perspective. First, the person who has learned how to use a hammer (in precisely the trial-and-error-and-reorganization way that Bill describes in his post) can pick up another hammer and immediately be able to use it in much the same way as previously used hammers.

BP: I see the point you're making. What you've done is show that if you substitute one hammer for another of the same manufacture and stated purpose (like a ball-peen hammer), the person wielding it will experience a minimum of errors and may not notice the substitution. But I think you're carrying the point too far, essentially assuming that if a hammer with different characteristics is substituted, the user will have significant difficulties with using it. You assume that the person can't cope with disturbances and control well in spite of them. That is the conventional assumption.

One of the main features of a control system is that without any adaptation at all, the same control system can achieve good control of a result even if the feedback function changes substantially. Demo 5-1 in LCS3 was designed to show this, and much more, to John Flach, who cited a classical experiment in engineering psychology which purported to show that the human being doing a tracking task adapted -- changed dynamical parameters of a control system -- when the nature of the load changed. This demo shows that a simple two-level hierarchy, in which position is controlled by varying a reference level for velocity, reproduces the apparent adaptation without actually changing any of the control system's properties at all. Negative feedback control renders control quite insensitive to changes in characteristics of the external load, and even changes in its own output function.

It's possible, of course, that manufacturers of hammers do go through elaborate standardization processes, but that is only because they don't understand how control works. It's the same mind-set that says control requires perceiving the causes of disturbances and calculating how the output must be adjusted to compensate for them, or requires that the properties of the environment must be analyzed and the necessary command signals must be found through inverse kinematic and dynamic calculations. That is what normal intuition tells us, but it is wrong.

KM: Of course, the feel of the new hammer might be slightly different, but the muscular reorganization process necessary to use the hammer efficiently (to hammer in nails, of course) can proceed very rapidly, because the new hammer is so much like previous ones.

BP: This contains the assumption I'm talking about. It is not necessary for any reorganization to happen if the new hammer is slightly different from the old one. Control is not a matter of calculating the appropriate output and then executing it. Reorganization is needed if there is a very large change in properties of the feedback path, but smaller changes that would require reorganization of open-loop behavior are compensated for in a closed-loop system by automatic changes in the output action.

KM: OK. I take your point and it's a good one. The control systems for muscular actions are flexible, and there was no need for me to be talking about reorganization in this context.

It seems, however, that you may not have fully appreciated the point I was making: that for whatever reason (perhaps the ignorant mind-set of people in charge of tool-making companies, as you suggest), the hammer as a commercial product is almost always made to specifications that are stable across the industry, so that a carpenter who preferred an 18-ounce claw hammer to a 16-ounce hammer would be out of luck if he tried to find one at his local hardware store.

Hammer standardization may seem like a trivial and unimportant issue, but standardization of other products (and of lots of other social and political processes, as well) is a matter of interest to sociologists, because it happens so often in contemporary society. I can't imagine that you would really object to sociologists' noticing the phenomenon, asking why it occurs so often, and wondering what are the consequences of organizing society that way.

(The fact that many products are standardized to a variety of standards, like the bows with different weights that Bill describes in a Friday post [subject: "affordances -- some added thoughts"] doesn't really change the point I'm making. One sociologist describes this proliferation of standardized choices as "niche standardization," but although these products offer a great range of options, the range isn't infinite.]

I would argue that standardization processes can be profitably analyzed from a PCT point of view, because standardization is always a process of controlling perceptions--matching a product or service to a reference standard. Rick Marken in his post on Wednesday (2012.11.07.1740) argued that most social scientists have an incomplete and misleading notion of how control works ("like the blind men and the elephant" was the phrase he used). I would agree completely with him completely on that point, but I would argue that if sociologists and other social scientists understood better the process of control, their analyses of phenomena like standardization would improve. Social scientists need to understand control, because control processes are crucial to the societal issues that they are interested in studying.

KM: Second, while some users of hammers will find creative and unusual uses for the tool, as in the window-propping example Bill gives, a social scientific observer studying the uses of hammers would be likely to observe that most users most of the time use hammers in the conventionally expected way to pound in nails to fasten pieces of wood together. And because imitation is an important part of the human learning process, neophytes learning to use hammers are likely to imitate experienced users of hammer by using the tool (most of the time) in a way that is similar, if not precisely identical, to the way that the great majority of other users have traditionally used it. In other words, there is a lot of cultural predictability (if not total uniformity) in the ways that hammers are used.

BP: If control required analysis and inverse calculations, what you say here would follow quite logically. But it doesn't, and what you say doesn't follow. In a way, you're doing something quite similar to what economic theorists do: you assume a certain model as a premise, and on that basis choose examples that fit the way that model works. But that does not show that the real system works that way, or that the example would fit real behavior. What sounds like an example is really just a deduction from an assumed theory.

KM: Thus, relative uniformity in the physical environment--the standardized design of the hammer as an artifact--goes hand in hand (or hammer in hand?) with relative uniformities in behavioral patterns.

BP: I hope you're starting to read your own words with little stirrings of discontent by this point. Yes, of course, if the uniformity of results of behavior depended on being placed in a uniform environment, you would expect that to get uniform behavior you must have a uniform environment. But you know that isn't true, because you understand negative feedback control as only a successful modeler can understand it, and if you applied what you know you would see immediately that the premise is wrong. We see uniform consequences of behavior -- the nail is accurately struck and sinks in blow by blow. But we know that this happens in spite of numerous variations in the environment and the person's relationship to it, and that a negative feedback system comes close to erasing the potential effects of such variations. All those curves in the shaft of the scythe so lovingly carved in by the superb old craftsman represent superstitions and do not substantially alter how the user of the scythe handles it. The admiring user doesn't realize that his other scythe is just as easy to use even though the old craftsman who made it had different superstitions and made his shafts quite differently. Our control systems deal with most disturbances so easily and (apparently) effortlessly that we don't even realize there was a disturbance.

KM: Nice example. But I guess I'm not too disturbed by your criticisms here of my argument. (Another control process at work on my part, perhaps?) I still think that the relationship between apparent uniformities in the social environment and apparent uniformities in people's overt behavior is worth some careful consideration, and let me try to explain my point more fully.

A sociologist or other social scientist who accepts the PCT and HPCT with respect to individual psychological functioning is faced with a conundrum when he or she surveys the social environment. PCT tells us that the organization of each individual's brain is unique. Each individual builds up a unique hierarchy of perceptual control systems by a process of learning and reorganization based on the individual's unique genetic inheritance and the individual's unique experiences of attempting to control perceptions over time in a series of environmental settings that are also unique to a given individual. In short, every individual is different from every other.

However, when we observe people in social settings, we see considerable conformity--widespread patterns of behavior that appear to be highly uniform (though of course not completely so). How is it that a collection of individuals with absolutely unique perceptions and psychological makeups can produce the relatively high degree of behavioral conformity that social scientists observe? You might possibly argue that the apparent uniformity of behavior is simply an illusion, because each individual is controlling a subtly different perception that resembles the norm of other people's perceptions with regard to this pattern of action, but even if there are slight differences in the perceptions being controlled, the general resemblance is good enough for social interaction to proceed smoothly. For example, I implicitly rely on the (imperfect) prediction that, when traveling down a two-lane highway, most other drivers, most of the time, will be staying on the right side of the road.

So how come this level of behavioral conformity occurs? The usual answer offered by sociologists (the majority of whom are happy to agree that individuals are purposive agents with free will, as they would put it) is that there exists something called social structure, and that social structure puts constraints on the behavioral freedom of individuals. This answer doesn't go far enough, because it doesn't tell us what kinds of constraints or provide a mechanism for how these constraints might operate. Some sociologists have pointed to "sanctions" like incentives and punishments, others to internalized norms and expectations, but neither explanation for conformity is very satisfactory. As Rick says in a recent post (2012.11.07.1740), such explanations provide more "understandingness" than real understanding.

The conundrum of how unique individuals can produce widespread patterns of behavioral conformity strikes me as somewhat similar to another question faced by PCT thinkers. If each individual's hierarchy is differently organized, how can we talk about hierarchical "orders of perception" that are predictably similar from individual to individual? My memory of the answer that emerged, when this question was hashed out on CSGnet 20 years ago or so, was that the physical environment provides a kind of "boss reality," which means that every individual encounters the same kinds of physical forces in attempting to navigate the physical environment, and, given the kinds of perceptual and skeleto-muscular inheritances that we all have, there have to be strong similarities between individuals in the ways that the lower levels of perception, which pertain to physical phenomena, get organized. (Please correct me if I'm wrong about this discussion. Your memory may be better than mine.)

My proposal about how uniform social patterns can get established is that something similar happens with social phenomena. The social worlds that we are born into provide each of us when growing up with a kind of "boss social reality," with which we must cope. Certain messages and physical artifacts occur with massive redundancy in our social environments. Those social phenomena, I would argue, typically set before us pre-packaged feedback paths for controlling perceptions that we might want to control. Hungry? Have a Big Mac. Thirsty? Have a Coke. Want entertainment? Here's a TV program to watch. Want to communicate with someone? Here's how you say it. Don't say mummummum, say Mommy. Don't say dadadada, say Daddy. And you should call that animal a horse, not a doggie.

Now nothing compels people to follow the feedback paths that are proffered to them by others instead of inventing their own unique ways of doing things, but controlling perceptions by the handiest available path is likely to be easy and quick, so that the individual can go on to controlling other things that he or she also wants to control. Thus, people often take the "feedback path of least resistance," and when an individual has used a certain feedback path often enough it becomes habitual, firmly implanted in the individual's perceptual hierarchy, and thus more likely to be utilized the next time the situation arises.

Hence, I would argue, standardization of the environments in which we live can have profound social effects, whether or not all individuals use the standardized artifacts in the same way for the same purposes.

KM: Third, and most importantly, the hammer exemplifies an important fact about the living environments of people in economically developed countries. We are surrounded by manufactured artifacts that have been designed, produced, and marketed with culturally conventional uses in mind. Virtually everything that we see or touch in our homes and workplaces is some kind of manufactured artifact that has been carefully designed to help us control one perception or another. Purposes, in the form of the intended uses of manufactured objects, have in some sense been built into the myriad objects that surround us.

BP: That's the current wisdom, I agree. But all those careful designs are mostly wasted because they're mostly unnecessary, though it's easy to imagine that they are helpful. Design isn't a complete waste of time, of course -- very bad designs become quite noticeable, but one can learn to get the wanted results in spite of them.

KM: Objects like hammers can be seen as controlled environmental variables that result from an extremely complex collective control process in which "a multitude of people," to use Bob Hintz's words, (the miners, mine owners, foremen, transport workers, transport company owners and executives, manufacturing executives and owners and stockholders, factory workers, engineers, designers, sales workers, accountants, OSHA regulators, more transport workers, wholesale distributors, yet more transport workers, advertisers, retail store sales and management workers, and probably many more people that I've overlooked) have cooperated in setting up and maintaining the complicated supply, manufacturing, and distribution chains that bring hammers to market and put them into the hands of the end users.

BP: Nope, I don't buy it. Your descriptions are theoretical. That's how things would be if design, supply, manufacturing, and distribution were critical to making something at all usable. But I don't see that they're critical. They have some effect, of course, but it's not a big effect and people can find something to use to achieve almost any purpose without any great amount of standardization. Standardization probably benefits the manufacturer more than the user. I exaggerate, but only in an attempt to counterbalance the exaggerated complexity and finesse that is being assumed.

KM: I'm not quite clear here about what it is about my argument that you don't buy. Are you arguing that the supply chains that bring products to us aren't long and complicated, with lots of people cooperating by control their own perceptions, but perceptions that in combination are necessary to control in order to make the final product possible? Take a look at the "made in ____ " labels on the products that you buy if you have any doubt about this.

Now, I'll grant you that for the miners and the transport workers and many of the other actors contributing to this collective control process, the objective of making a standardized hammer available for purchase at the hardware store in the local strip mall is not their foremost priority. They are just trying to make some money. (And the standardization of money as an indicator of abstract value is a fascinating topic for another time.)

And I'll grant you that standardization of the hammer as a product does more to serve the purposes of the manufacturers and purveyors of the product than it does for the end users. For the manufacturers and sellers, the standardization helps them to make big profits, which is their primary objective. For the end users, the standardization may help by removing possible disturbances from the individual's environment and so making things a little more predictable, so that their physical actions that make use of the hammer can proceed habitually without a concern for adjusting to unexpected disturbances (like the head of the hammer flying off). But standardization also restricts the range of options for end users, in essence restricting their degrees of freedom.

I'm about done, but there's one more point to make.

KM: From the perspective of the user, the hammer is not in itself a controlled environmental variable, except as its motions are controlled by the user to achieve control of the perception of using nails to fasten pieces of wood together. (Notice that 2-by-4's and the nails used to fasten them together are also standardized products with their intended uses also in some sense built in.) The hammer, nails, and pieces of wood are simply the means chosen by the user to control the perception of building a planned wooden structure, and not ends in themselves. In the PCT analysis that I am trying to develop, they serve as segments of a feedback path to link the user's physical actions with the perception that the user is seeking to control of successfully building the planned structure.

BP: The biggest problem I see at this point is that you're doing a one-level analysis. The hammer, nails, and pieces of wood exist at many levels, from objects with color and weight, to objects with shapes, to objects moving in certain manners, to objects in relationship to other objects, and so on. And they are controlled by a hierarchy in which each level of perception of objects is also a level of control -- the means of achieving a goal at one level is not an object at the bottom level, but a control system dealing with objects as seen and acted upon at the next lower level.

What I'm trying to do here is to take hold of that structure you're building and give it a shake, so it no longer feels secure enough to stand on. As I see it, it has already been shaped by the sociology that preceded PCT, and you'e putting yourself in the position of having to defend ideas that you no longer actually believe, if you stop to think of them a little further.

KM: Ah, but I haven't forgotten for a moment that we need to talk about multiple levels of control of perceptions (and multiple individuals) here. I've been focusing my arguments on one simple physical artifact, the hammer, because that is the example you originally introduced, and I needed to simplify my argument to get essential points across. But the argument could be reiterated almost indefinitely with regard to almost every part of our socially produced physical environment, and then could be "taken up a level" by talking about things like widely reproduced narratives, slogans, images, ideas and other sorts of immaterial culture. For the individual these serve as ready-made feedback paths for controlling abstract, high-level perceptions like a sense of identity or a sense of superiority.

The feedback paths are controlled, for sure, but not necessarily by the individual himself or herself. Instead they are controlled by collections of other individuals, often organized to cooperate with each other as formal organizations or corporations, and whose high-level purposes typically do not match those of the individuals to which they are selling the ready-made feedback paths. They are in effect manipulating the end user to gain their own objectives. I'm thinking of groups like Karl Rove's American Crossroads, just for one example.

BP: My intent is not destructive. In fact, in fields where I have a history of any length, I look forward to shaking the structure up a bit, because finding anything truly wrong in it is a wonderful experience that we have all too seldom: the experience of discovering something new, outside the boxes where we ordinarily think. Any truly revolutionary idea in science is like a view through an unexpected knothole into a new universe which we didn't even suspect to exist. When I think of changing sociology to be consistent with PCT, I am filled with anticipation -- what wonders will Kent come up with?

Enough, too many words. But maybe they contain the seeds of some interesting experiments.

KM: Thank you again. I think our high-level objectives match, and I really appreciate your critical analysis and attempts to shake things up. If I can come up with arguments that withstand that kind of scrutiny, I'll feel like I've really made progress.

My best,

Kent

[From Rick Marken (2012.11.09.1240)]

Bill Powers (2012.11.09.0204 MST)--

BH: Are you talking the same PCT language ?

BP :Why does a person control anything at all?

RM: ...To understand controlling you have to know what is going on the
controller's environment (an environment that is likely to contain other
controllers) as well as in their head...

BP: Boris is right in wondering whether Rick is talking the same language
...So Rick is right, too, except for having chosen language that implies direct
knowledge of the environment.

RM: If it was my talking about the environment using language that
implies direct knowledge of it that led to Boris asking whether you
and I were using the same PCT language then why didn't he ask the same
think about you and Kent . After all, my comments were just a reply to
Kent's suggestion that we PCTers have made it hard to communicate with
many social scientists because we are "paying less attention to what
happens in the person's environment" than in his/her head. The fact
that Kent's words were not a disturbance and mine, apparently, were,
suggests that Boris was controlling for something far less high
falutin' than any supposed epistemological errors on my part.

But assuming that my comments about the environment really were what
Boris was concerned about, what would you suggest as language that
does not imply direct knowledge of the environment? Perhaps I should
have said: To understand controlling you have to know what is going on
in the controller's environment -- one that we model using the current
models of physics and chemistry but, aware, at all times, that this
does not imply direct knowledge of such an environment or that it
actually exists because all we know are our perceptions -- as well as
in their head.

In Figure 5.2 in B:CP you show a control system (labeled System)
acting on an environment (labeled Environment). Do you think you could
have drawn the Figure using language that did not imply that you have
direct knowledge that there is an environment in which control systems
interact?

Best

Rick

···

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

Hi,

HB:

PCT vs. behaviorism ?

BP:

HB :

I hope so.

I see your “why people control anything at all” as “inner dance for outer experession”. Something like this Maturana would probably say about the relation between behavior and internal “autopoetic” processes.

So I think that behavior is just “outer expression” of what is going on in organisms. Or you said it more in PCT :

BP: “The actual behavior involved relates to the purpose in the usual way, being adjusted according to the error and acting through the selected feedback path to make some perception match a reference setting. The choice of feedback path or affordance is varied until the specified goal is achieved.”

HB :

As I understand purposes (goals) of individuals are created in internal environment (organism) not external.

So it seems that behavior is just prolonged “logical consequence” of control processes in organism. I see behavior as the “selective consequence” of bilions of coordinated closed control loops that are “going on” in organism (and in head J), ranging as you gave superb description, from “gene expressions to system concepts”.

The organization of closed control loops on the range you mentioned is I think yours’ the most exclusive and probably, at least for me, the most promising idea in the previous and this century, which have eventually (somewhere in the future) to give some more eminent results, if constant improvements will be applied. But I’m sure your vision will be realized some day.

I must admitt that I see the problem in mathematical precission of model of all those bilions control processes in organism. It seems to me like science fiction in these days with existing technology to synchronicly simulate them. But I don’t doubt that with the future techonology (some centuries ahead) science will be able to simulate the wholness of working control structure in orgaism in relation to environment. And I don’t doubt that you are the pioneer of this task. And Rick, Martin T., Bruce, Gary,… beside you.

As quantitative description of PCT is concerned I see Rick as master of PCT (I think he proved that many times). I just doubt about his qualitative interpretations as the one was, when I asked you for the estimation of compatibility.

When people and maybe sociologist and other scientist or better all the people will understand what PCT means, I think that human kind will progress on many fields like school systems, probably social systems, economy, medicine…But it really needs time. After 15 years of “Control theory” I can say it’s not easy to really understand it. It’s rather very difficult to understand it. That’s probably obviuos from debats on CSGnet. I needed aproximatelly 3 years to come to first usefull conclusions about PCT. And I think it’s not enough to understand compilation of knowledge of enginers, doctors, physiology, psychology, sociology, biology, chemistry, physics…and so on, but it needs precise understanding of PCT itself. Other knowledges can be of great help to understand it.

As I understand it, PCT is not a composition of whole from these knowledges but is the whole which has it’s own characteristics of all the time working, coordinated control units in organism, because homeostasis built up from local stabilities has to be kept all the time if organism is to survive.

From this (internal) PCT perspective of modelled organism, is at least for me, much easier to “observe” outer feed-back paths. It’s easier for me to understand that affordances or “fixed controlled vairables” or whatever, are just parts of imagined (modeled) environment which are “co-producing” some perceptual stability or instability in continuosly varying inner hierarchical perceptual control, which is “responsible” for homeostasis (survival) of human kind.

I think you said it all :

BP : “It is still the purposes of the user that determine which feedback function or affordance will be used to satisfy any given set of purposes.”…. “The actual behavior involved relates to the purpose in the usual way, being adjusted according to the error and acting through the selected feedback path to make some perception match a reference setting. The choice of feedback path or affordance is varied until the specified goal is achieved.”

HB :

I thought of some examples :

1. What’s the use of the plane if person is afraid to fly ? She will find other suitable menas for achieving her goals to come from A to B. Maybe she’ll travel by bike J.

2. What’s the use of bridge if person is afraid to cross it ? Someone will find a bypass.

3. What the use of skyscaper if people are afraid to live on heights ? He’ll probaby make a house.

4. What’s the use of hammer (or other electrical tools) if person doesn’t know how to use it (see attachment) J
    ? Better call an expert

If perceptual stability in human organism don’t “accept” afordance or “fixed control variable” as the means for reducing error in hierarchical control structure than probably “afordance” will not be used. It seems that “affordance” or “fixed controlled variable” is not guarantee for succesfull control loop (reducing the “error”) on any level. The only way I see it, is how person with specific control structure, control it, how she seeks for her perceptual stability through it’s originality.

If I understand right psychology till today didn’t manage to make some stable “working model” of organisms’ internal structure (despite ten’s of thousands of experimental research). All these researches could be the initial start for consensus in psychology and start for the common conclusion about unique model of human “soul”. I see the problem in their probable assumption that with encreasing of researches and knowledge in psychology, the “uniquity” of the internal model of brains will be more and more “sharp”. Obviously this wasn’t the case. Instead too many different theories were formed and psychology is probably the most disordered field concerning it’s subject of research. There are too many aligned and contradicting theories, so I doubt that research of “behavior of living organism via modeling” and “to understand what is going on in the controller’s environment as well as in their head” will by my oppinion give satisfying result.

I always thought that the privilige and advantage of PCT is it’s precisly modeled internal structure (control organization) of cells and organisms (and head J) through which perspective is much easier to explain behavior in external feed-back paths.

RM :

To understand controlling you have to know what is going on the controller’s environment (an environment that is likely to contain other controllers) as well as in their head. For example, to understand object interception you have to include in a model of this behavior the physical trajectory of the object to be intercepted (which is going on in the environment) and the neural computations (???) that are assumed to be going on in the head of the interceptor…”

HB :

Environment….neural computations….head…behavior….sounds to me so “neuroscientific”. And neuroscience is for me not far away from behaviorism. To say that brains are somehow computing the “physical trajectory” of the obejcts (environment), is for me something like : the input which is neurally computed produce behavior (output). I understand it as brains are computing input (from outer environment) to produce output (behavior). There’s even no feed-back path. And what is head ?

How could eminent quantitative PCT thinker, wrote something like that. So I asked you what’s going on ?

RM :

I believe we won’t be getting many social scientists to pay attention to PCT until we are able to teach them what control is and convince them that behavior is control.

BH :

I always thought that PCT is about control of perception, so I thought that maybe perception is controlled in comparator and behavior (output) is just consequence of that control. Behavior could be part of control loop, but behavior can’t be control. I mean we can’t control behavior…if that means that we are controlling efectors (muscles). It’s possible that also I did misunderstood something.

Finally I have some thanks for you.

I was surprised. Very much. It was not the question that surprised me. I was surprised, of course if I understood right, about your interpretation of relation between your and Rick’s understanding of PCT. I’ve got impression that your explanation was “objective” and that you equally treated me and Rick, after a long time. Although it seems to me, that Rick probably misinterpretated your good intention to self-think of some “holes” in his qualitative thinking.

Second. I feel fine as you didn’t give any remark to my “mistake” while sending you message. I put some translations in my language in your text, as this is the way how I help myself to “unknot” the terms you are using in your language and thus try to understand the whole meaning of message. My goal was so only to understand more clearly what does some words mean, not to make a distortion to your thoughts. I believe that was also your understanding.

I think that my interpretation of PCT is like you wrote above about affordances…it’s the purpose of the user…I use it in my way and it satisfies me, and I’m not trying to molest others with my thinking, but it doesn’t seem right to me that some others do so. Than I feel free to do the same.

I hope I answered your question ?

Best,

Boris

···

Bill Powers

Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 10:29 AM

BP :

Why does a person control anything at all? I think we can at least make a list of necessities as opposed (nasprotje) to discretionary (samovoljen, neomejen) control processes. A person must eat, stay warm, stay safe, stay healthy, breathe, and so on. These requirements are not defined by the feedback paths, but by a hierarchy of goals ranging from gene expressions to system concepts.

RM:

I don't see the focus of my work on PCT as being what happens inside a person's head. I would say my focus is on understanding control (as seen, particularly, in the behavior of   living organisms) via modeling. To understand controlling you have to know what is going on  the controller's environment (an environment that is likely to contain other controllers) as well as in their head. For example, to understand object interception `you have to include in a model of this behavior the physical trajectory of the object to be intercepted (which is going on in the environment) and the neural computations that are assumed to be going on in the head of the interceptor….

BP: Models, like all other things we know about and experience, are neural signals in a brain (according to one model). They are our best guess about what is happening in some inaccessible place we call “the real world.” Boris is right in wondering whether Rick is talking the same language.

On the other hand, to get anything done we have to settle on a set of models, at least for the present, and test them to find out what experiences they predict correctly. So Rick is right, too, except for having chosen language that implies direct knowledge of the environment.

The only reality we know is what we experience, but the idea that this experience takes place inside a brain is part of a model, and we don’t have any way of knowing whether the model is right. That said, we use the model as usual, assuming its truth and testing for contradictions of that assumption. The Test for the Controlled Variable gives us a way to disconfirm any proposed controlled variable, so at least we can know if the model is obviously untrue. And we can see that more than one definition of any controlled variable is possible, so we know that many of the possible assumptions about understanding the environment are false. But do we know that all the rest of them are true? That doesn’t follow.

As far as I am concerned, this whole question is unresolved. We’re safest in assuming that “it’s all perception,” at least for now. This means that all we know is the output of some set of perceptual input functions, and that we have no way of knowing the actual inputs from the environment into these functions. Since that seems to be true of all possible kinds of experiences, there is no point in repeating this qualification after every sentence. Until testing proves otherwise, we simply assume that we’re all experiencing the same world, at least while we’re working on models.

Best,

Bill P.

Ups, I foget the attachment for the 4.example…:slight_smile:

mujeres.ico

···

Bill Powers

Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 10:29 AM

BP :

RM:

I don't see the focus of my work on PCT as being what happens inside a person's head. I would say my focus is on understanding control (as seen, particularly, in the behavior of   living organisms) via modeling. To understand controlling you have to know what is going on  the controller's environment (an environment that is likely to contain other controllers) as well as in their head. For example, to understand object interception `you have to include in a model of this behavior the physical trajectory of the object to be intercepted (which is going on in the environment) and the neural computations that are assumed to be going on in the head of the interceptor….

BP: Models, like all other things we know about and experience, are neural signals in a brain (according to one model). They are our best guess about what is happening in some inaccessible place we call “the real world.” Boris is right in wondering whether Rick is talking the same language.

On the other hand, to get anything done we have to settle on a set of models, at least for the present, and test them to find out what experiences they predict correctly. So Rick is right, too, except for having chosen language that implies direct knowledge of the environment.

The only reality we know is what we experience, but the idea that this experience takes place inside a brain is part of a model, and we don’t have any way of knowing whether the model is right. That said, we use the model as usual, assuming its truth and testing for contradictions of that assumption. The Test for the Controlled Variable gives us a way to disconfirm any proposed controlled variable, so at least we can know if the model is obviously untrue. And we can see that more than one definition of any controlled variable is possible, so we know that many of the possible assumptions about understanding the environment are false. But do we know that all the rest of them are true? That doesn’t follow.

As far as I am concerned, this whole question is unresolved. We’re safest in assuming that “it’s all perception,” at least for now. This means that all we know is the output of some set of perceptual input functions, and that we have no way of knowing the actual inputs from the environment into these functions. Since that seems to be true of all possible kinds of experiences, there is no point in repeating this qualification after every sentence. Until testing proves otherwise, we simply assume that we’re all experiencing the same world, at least while we’re working on models.

Best,

Bill P.

[From Bill Powers (2012.11.12.1645 mst)]

But assuming that my comments
about the environment really were what

Boris was concerned about, what would you suggest as language that

does not imply direct knowledge of the environment?

Just mention somewhere that our models use the accepted models of the
physical environment. I agree that we shouldn’t come down hard on the
epistemology when that’s not the main point.

In Figure 5.2 in B:CP you
show a control system (labeled System)

acting on an environment (labeled Environment). Do you think you
could

have drawn the Figure using language that did not imply that you
have

direct knowledge that there is an environment in which control
systems

interact?

I think I probably do mention that the environment part is also a model,
but I don’t recall the details. Keep in mind that there are many people
who follow Gibson and who want to believe that we do perceive the
environment directly. If we don’t think that many of them will be
involved, we can probably just describe the model of the environment and
let it go. It all depends on the audience, doesn’t it?

Best,

Bill P.

[From Kent McClelland (2013.11.16.1501 CDT)]

By some mistake, I sent my latest reply to the posts on this thread directly to Rick Marken rather than to the CSGnet address.

I don't have anything substantive at the moment to add to his reply to my post, other than to thank him for his insights. He's right, however, that the exchange should be part of the CSGnet record, so I'm posting his reply on the net.

Kent

···

On Nov 14, 2012, at 5:43 PM, Richard Marken wrote:

Hi Kent

I just noticed that I'm replying to a post that was just sent to me
rather than to CSGNet. I think we could get a lot more interesting
comments (like from Bill) if we put this back up on csgnet. If that's
OK then how about just replying to this post and copy your reply to
CSGNet.

Best

Rick

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Richard Marken <rsmarken@gmail.com> wrote:

[Froom Rick Marken (2012.11.14.1540)]

Kent McClelland (2012.11.12.1440 CST)

KM: My fellow sociologists have collected tons of data on a plethora of social phenomena that involve apparent behavioral uniformity. Their explanations of what they have seen are almost always missing the insights that PCT could provide, and thus their data have not been necessarily collected in ways that are most appropriate from the PCT point of view, but these are smart people who do careful work, and often their findings are amenable to PCT explanations.

RM: I think Bill Powers (who else?) has demonstrated one way control
models can be used to explain the kinds of data sociologists collect
in his CROWD program. This program shows how the patterns of crowd
organization and movement observed by McPhail and Tucker could be
explained by assuming that each member of the crowd is controlling for
getting to a particular place while avoiding obstacles (including
other people) and not getting to close to anyone (or thing) else. I
also think the two person interaction research that Tom Bourbon did is
a good start at a PCT approach to explaining social phenomena. I think
sociological phenomena emerge out of the interactions between
individual control systems. So understanding what happens in the
simplest case -- that of an interaction between two control systems --
could be the basis for building a whole new sociology (just as the
test for the controlled variable could the basis for building a whole
new psychology). I guess you know that my preference regarding PCT and
psychology is to just start psychology from scratch with the new
understanding that the subject of study are purposive (control) rather
than lineal causal systems; that means just ignoring much of what are
considered the basic research results in psychology. I think the same
should done with sociology unless (as in the CROWD case and in my
object interception research) it is clear how PCT can be applied to
explain the existing data.

Since you are basically a theorist rather than an experimenter, I
guess I would suggest that you look carefully for some existing
sociological data that can probably be modeled using PCT: research
where it's pretty clear what the controlled variables of the
individual members of the group are. I would not feel compelled to
explain all the sociological data in terms of PCT any more than I
would feel compelled to explain all the psychological data using PCT.
Just find something clearly explicable in terms of PCT (like the
object interception data that I found) and then build a model that
explains the data perfectly (as I did with the object interception
data) and makes predictions about what will observed in other studies.

KM: I don't have the resources to do a lot of original research myself, but I think there is some value in the role of a theorist who offers alternative explanations for the well-documented findings of others. Encouraging the imagination of a younger generation, if nothing else.

RM: Again, I would be very selective about what well-documented
findings I took on with PCT. But we have to start somewhere so how
about posting one or two of these well documented findings and let's
see whether a PCT model seems like it might work and, if not, let's
see why.

Best

Rick

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

Hi everybody,

could somebody explain how "human interaction" or "interaction between two control systems" in PCT language look like ?

Best,

Boris

···

----- Original Message ----- From: "McClelland, Kent" <MCCLEL@GRINNELL.EDU>
To: <CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU>
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2012 10:10 PM

By some mistake, I sent my latest reply to the posts on this thread directly to Rick Marken rather than to the CSGnet address.

I don't have anything substantive at the moment to add to his reply to my post, other than to thank him for his insights. He's right, however, that the exchange should be part of the CSGnet record, so I'm posting his reply on the net.

Kent

Hi Kent

I just noticed that I'm replying to a post that was just sent to me
rather than to CSGNet. I think we could get a lot more interesting
comments (like from Bill) if we put this back up on csgnet. If that's
OK then how about just replying to this post and copy your reply to
CSGNet.

Best

Rick

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Richard Marken <rsmarken@gmail.com> > wrote:

[Froom Rick Marken (2012.11.14.1540)]

Kent McClelland (2012.11.12.1440 CST)

KM: My fellow sociologists have collected tons of data on a plethora of social phenomena that involve apparent behavioral uniformity. Their explanations of what they have seen are almost always missing the insights that PCT could provide, and thus their data have not been necessarily collected in ways that are most appropriate from the PCT point of view, but these are smart people who do careful work, and often their findings are amenable to PCT explanations.

RM: I think Bill Powers (who else?) has demonstrated one way control
models can be used to explain the kinds of data sociologists collect
in his CROWD program. This program shows how the patterns of crowd
organization and movement observed by McPhail and Tucker could be
explained by assuming that each member of the crowd is controlling for
getting to a particular place while avoiding obstacles (including
other people) and not getting to close to anyone (or thing) else. I
also think the two person interaction research that Tom Bourbon did is
a good start at a PCT approach to explaining social phenomena. I think
sociological phenomena emerge out of the interactions between
individual control systems. So understanding what happens in the
simplest case -- that of an interaction between two control systems --
could be the basis for building a whole new sociology (just as the
test for the controlled variable could the basis for building a whole
new psychology). I guess you know that my preference regarding PCT and
psychology is to just start psychology from scratch with the new
understanding that the subject of study are purposive (control) rather
than lineal causal systems; that means just ignoring much of what are
considered the basic research results in psychology. I think the same
should done with sociology unless (as in the CROWD case and in my
object interception research) it is clear how PCT can be applied to
explain the existing data.

Since you are basically a theorist rather than an experimenter, I
guess I would suggest that you look carefully for some existing
sociological data that can probably be modeled using PCT: research
where it's pretty clear what the controlled variables of the
individual members of the group are. I would not feel compelled to
explain all the sociological data in terms of PCT any more than I
would feel compelled to explain all the psychological data using PCT.
Just find something clearly explicable in terms of PCT (like the
object interception data that I found) and then build a model that
explains the data perfectly (as I did with the object interception
data) and makes predictions about what will observed in other studies.

KM: I don't have the resources to do a lot of original research myself, but I think there is some value in the role of a theorist who offers alternative explanations for the well-documented findings of others. Encouraging the imagination of a younger generation, if nothing else.

RM: Again, I would be very selective about what well-documented
findings I took on with PCT. But we have to start somewhere so how
about posting one or two of these well documented findings and let's
see whether a PCT model seems like it might work and, if not, let's
see why.

Best

Rick

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Fred Nickols (2012.11.16.1616 AZ)]

Boris:

Attached in a Word document is a diagram showing two individuals
interacting. It's based on my Target or GAP-ACT model which is based on
PCT.

Let's say they're having a conversation and the target variable they're both
trying to control is the "direction" of the conversation (or perhaps its
"tone"). Both are engaging in verbal behaviors. Both have goals or
reference conditions. Both have perceptions of the target variable. It's
possible that the behavior of either of them might constitute a disturbance
to the other. Other conditions such as noise or interruptions might also
serve as disturbances. This is a simple dyadic or two-person encounter with
a single dimension. It could also illustrate a two-person cooperative task,
something that takes two people to do. But, as you can doubtless guess, go
beyond this kind of simplicity and you're well out of the range of things
that can be easily "illustrated" in picture form. Hope this helps.

Others feel free to chime in if I'm way wide of the mark.

Fred Nickols

[mailto:CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU] On Behalf Of boris_upc
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2012 2:42 PM

Hi everybody,

could somebody explain how "human interaction" or "interaction between
two control systems" in PCT language look like ?

Best,

Boris

By some mistake, I sent my latest reply to the posts on this thread

directly

to Rick Marken rather than to the CSGnet address.

I don't have anything substantive at the moment to add to his reply to my
post, other than to thank him for his insights. He's right, however, that
the exchange should be part of the CSGnet record, so I'm posting his reply
on the net.

Kent

> Hi Kent
>
> I just noticed that I'm replying to a post that was just sent to me
> rather than to CSGNet. I think we could get a lot more interesting
> comments (like from Bill) if we put this back up on csgnet. If that's
> OK then how about just replying to this post and copy your reply to
> CSGNet.
>
> Best
>
> Rick
>
>> [Froom Rick Marken (2012.11.14.1540)]
>>
>>> Kent McClelland (2012.11.12.1440 CST)
>>
>>> KM: My fellow sociologists have collected tons of data on a plethora

of

>>> social phenomena that involve apparent behavioral uniformity. Their
>>> explanations of what they have seen are almost always missing the
>>> insights that PCT could provide, and thus their data have not been
>>> necessarily collected in ways that are most appropriate from the PCT
>>> point of view, but these are smart people who do careful work, and
often
>>> their findings are amenable to PCT explanations.
>>
>> RM: I think Bill Powers (who else?) has demonstrated one way control
>> models can be used to explain the kinds of data sociologists collect
>> in his CROWD program. This program shows how the patterns of crowd
>> organization and movement observed by McPhail and Tucker could be
>> explained by assuming that each member of the crowd is controlling for
>> getting to a particular place while avoiding obstacles (including
>> other people) and not getting to close to anyone (or thing) else. I
>> also think the two person interaction research that Tom Bourbon did is
>> a good start at a PCT approach to explaining social phenomena. I think
>> sociological phenomena emerge out of the interactions between
>> individual control systems. So understanding what happens in the
>> simplest case -- that of an interaction between two control systems --
>> could be the basis for building a whole new sociology (just as the
>> test for the controlled variable could the basis for building a whole
>> new psychology). I guess you know that my preference regarding PCT and
>> psychology is to just start psychology from scratch with the new
>> understanding that the subject of study are purposive (control) rather
>> than lineal causal systems; that means just ignoring much of what are
>> considered the basic research results in psychology. I think the same
>> should done with sociology unless (as in the CROWD case and in my
>> object interception research) it is clear how PCT can be applied to
>> explain the existing data.
>>
>> Since you are basically a theorist rather than an experimenter, I
>> guess I would suggest that you look carefully for some existing
>> sociological data that can probably be modeled using PCT: research
>> where it's pretty clear what the controlled variables of the
>> individual members of the group are. I would not feel compelled to
>> explain all the sociological data in terms of PCT any more than I
>> would feel compelled to explain all the psychological data using PCT.
>> Just find something clearly explicable in terms of PCT (like the
>> object interception data that I found) and then build a model that
>> explains the data perfectly (as I did with the object interception
>> data) and makes predictions about what will observed in other studies.
>>
>>>
>>> KM: I don't have the resources to do a lot of original research

myself,

PCT View of Human Interaction.docx (42.1 KB)

···

-----Original Message-----
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Richard Marken <rsmarken@gmail.com> > > wrote:
>>> but I think there is some value in the role of a theorist who offers
>>> alternative explanations for the well-documented findings of others.
>>> Encouraging the imagination of a younger generation, if nothing else.
>>
>> RM: Again, I would be very selective about what well-documented
>> findings I took on with PCT. But we have to start somewhere so how
>> about posting one or two of these well documented findings and let's
>> see whether a PCT model seems like it might work and, if not, let's
>> see why.
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Rick
>>
>>
>> --
>> Richard S. Marken PhD
>> rsmarken@gmail.com
>> www.mindreadings.com
>
>
>
> --
> Richard S. Marken PhD
> rsmarken@gmail.com
> www.mindreadings.com

Hi Fred,

what a nice start. I remember your GAP-ACT diagram as that was the first thing I was acquainted with when I came to CSGnet. I think we modeled "baseball catch".

FN :

trying to control is the "direction" of the conversation (or perhaps its >
"tone").

Both are engaging in verbal behaviors. Both have goals or > reference
conditions. Both have perceptions of the target variable. It's> possible
that the behavior of either of them might constitute a disturbance > to the
other.

Other conditions such as noise or interruptions might also > serve as
disturbances. This is a simple dyadic or two-person encounter with > a
single dimension.

It could also illustrate a two-person cooperative task, > something that
takes two people to do.
But, as you can doubtless guess, go> beyond this kind of simplicity and
you're well out of the range of things

HB :

I hopped we could start with some more complex variables as conversation seems to me very complex activity.

Let us try your simple diagram :

1.. Is target "fixed controlled variable" or "flexibel" or is just some controlled part of external environment ?
  2.. What do you mean by conditions ?
  3.. What do you mean by goals or reference conditions in person A and B ? Are these goals somehow "inter-changing" through conversation or they are "fixed" from the beginning of conversation ?
Best,

Boris

···

----- Original Message ----- From: "Fred Nickols" <fred@NICKOLS.US>
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2012 12:21 AM

[From Fred Nickols (2012.11.16.1616 AZ)]

Boris:

Attached in a Word document is a diagram showing two individuals
interacting. It's based on my Target or GAP-ACT model which is based on
PCT.

trying to control is the "direction" of the conversation (or perhaps its
"tone"). Both are engaging in verbal behaviors. Both have goals or
reference conditions. Both have perceptions of the target variable. It's
possible that the behavior of either of them might constitute a disturbance
to the other. Other conditions such as noise or interruptions might also
serve as disturbances. This is a simple dyadic or two-person encounter with
a single dimension. It could also illustrate a two-person cooperative task,
something that takes two people to do. But, as you can doubtless guess, go
beyond this kind of simplicity and you're well out of the range of things

Others feel free to chime in if I'm way wide of the mark.

Fred Nickols

Sent: Friday, November 16, 2012 2:42 PM

Hi everybody,

could somebody explain how "human interaction" or "interaction between
two control systems" in PCT language look like ?

Best,

Boris

By some mistake, I sent my latest reply to the posts on this thread

directly

to Rick Marken rather than to the CSGnet address.

I don't have anything substantive at the moment to add to his reply to my
post, other than to thank him for his insights. He's right, however, that
the exchange should be part of the CSGnet record, so I'm posting his reply
on the net.

Kent

> Hi Kent
>
> I just noticed that I'm replying to a post that was just sent to me
> rather than to CSGNet. I think we could get a lot more interesting
> comments (like from Bill) if we put this back up on csgnet. If that's
> OK then how about just replying to this post and copy your reply to
> CSGNet.
>
> Best
>
> Rick
>
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Richard Marken <rsmarken@gmail.com> >> > wrote:
>> [Froom Rick Marken (2012.11.14.1540)]
>>
>>> Kent McClelland (2012.11.12.1440 CST)
>>
>>> KM: My fellow sociologists have collected tons of data on a plethora

of

>>> social phenomena that involve apparent behavioral uniformity. Their
>>> explanations of what they have seen are almost always missing the
>>> insights that PCT could provide, and thus their data have not been
>>> necessarily collected in ways that are most appropriate from the PCT
>>> point of view, but these are smart people who do careful work, and
often
>>> their findings are amenable to PCT explanations.
>>
>> RM: I think Bill Powers (who else?) has demonstrated one way control
>> models can be used to explain the kinds of data sociologists collect
>> in his CROWD program. This program shows how the patterns of crowd
>> organization and movement observed by McPhail and Tucker could be
>> explained by assuming that each member of the crowd is controlling for
>> getting to a particular place while avoiding obstacles (including
>> other people) and not getting to close to anyone (or thing) else. I
>> also think the two person interaction research that Tom Bourbon did is
>> a good start at a PCT approach to explaining social phenomena. I think
>> sociological phenomena emerge out of the interactions between
>> individual control systems. So understanding what happens in the
>> simplest case -- that of an interaction between two control systems --
>> could be the basis for building a whole new sociology (just as the
>> test for the controlled variable could the basis for building a whole
>> new psychology). I guess you know that my preference regarding PCT and
>> psychology is to just start psychology from scratch with the new
>> understanding that the subject of study are purposive (control) rather
>> than lineal causal systems; that means just ignoring much of what are
>> considered the basic research results in psychology. I think the same
>> should done with sociology unless (as in the CROWD case and in my
>> object interception research) it is clear how PCT can be applied to
>> explain the existing data.
>>
>> Since you are basically a theorist rather than an experimenter, I
>> guess I would suggest that you look carefully for some existing
>> sociological data that can probably be modeled using PCT: research
>> where it's pretty clear what the controlled variables of the
>> individual members of the group are. I would not feel compelled to
>> explain all the sociological data in terms of PCT any more than I
>> would feel compelled to explain all the psychological data using PCT.
>> Just find something clearly explicable in terms of PCT (like the
>> object interception data that I found) and then build a model that
>> explains the data perfectly (as I did with the object interception
>> data) and makes predictions about what will observed in other studies.
>>
>>>
>>> KM: I don't have the resources to do a lot of original research

myself,

>>> but I think there is some value in the role of a theorist who offers
>>> alternative explanations for the well-documented findings of others.
>>> Encouraging the imagination of a younger generation, if nothing else.
>>
>> RM: Again, I would be very selective about what well-documented
>> findings I took on with PCT. But we have to start somewhere so how
>> about posting one or two of these well documented findings and let's
>> see whether a PCT model seems like it might work and, if not, let's
>> see why.
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Rick
>>
>> --
>> Richard S. Marken PhD
>> rsmarken@gmail.com
>> www.mindreadings.com
>
> --
> Richard S. Marken PhD
> rsmarken@gmail.com
> www.mindreadings.com

[From Fred Nickols (2012.11.18.1144 AZ)]

Thanks for the compliment, Boris, but I never "modeled" catching a baseball.
I might have tried to "explain" it using the GAP-ACT model but I would never
try to "model" it. Rick Marken has modeled catching a baseball and
pinpointed the key perception in doing so successfully; namely (as I recall)
"angular velocity."

Fred Nickols

Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2012 11:10 AM

Hi Fred,

what a nice start. I remember your GAP-ACT diagram as that was the first
thing I was acquainted with when I came to CSGnet. I think we modeled
"baseball catch".

FN :

Let's say they're having a conversation and the target variable they're

both

> trying to control is the "direction" of the conversation (or perhaps
> its > "tone").
conditions. Both have perceptions of the target variable. It's> possible

that

the behavior of either of them might constitute a disturbance > to the

other.

single

dimension.

takes

two people to do.

you're

well out of the range of things
> that can be easily "illustrated" in picture form. Hope this helps.

HB :

I hopped we could start with some more complex variables as conversation
seems to me very complex activity.

1.. Is target "fixed controlled variable" or "flexibel" or is just some

controlled

part of external environment ?
  3.. What do you mean by goals or reference conditions in person A and B

?

Are these goals somehow "inter-changing" through conversation or they are
"fixed" from the beginning of conversation ?
Best,

Boris

> [From Fred Nickols (2012.11.16.1616 AZ)]
>
> Boris:
>
> Attached in a Word document is a diagram showing two individuals
> interacting. It's based on my Target or GAP-ACT model which is based on
> PCT.
>
> Let's say they're having a conversation and the target variable they're
> both
> trying to control is the "direction" of the conversation (or perhaps its
> "tone"). Both are engaging in verbal behaviors. Both have goals or
> reference conditions. Both have perceptions of the target variable.

It's

> possible that the behavior of either of them might constitute a
> disturbance
> to the other. Other conditions such as noise or interruptions might

also

> serve as disturbances. This is a simple dyadic or two-person encounter
> with
> a single dimension. It could also illustrate a two-person cooperative
> task,
> something that takes two people to do. But, as you can doubtless guess,
> go
> beyond this kind of simplicity and you're well out of the range of

things

>
> Others feel free to chime in if I'm way wide of the mark.
>
> Fred Nickols
>
>> From: Control Systems Group Network (CSGnet)
>> [mailto:CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU] On Behalf Of boris_upc
>> Sent: Friday, November 16, 2012 2:42 PM
>> To: CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU
>> Subject: Re: Analyzing feedback paths
>>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> could somebody explain how "human interaction" or "interaction
between
>> two control systems" in PCT language look like ?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Boris
>>
>>
>> From: "McClelland, Kent" <MCCLEL@GRINNELL.EDU>
>> To: <CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU>
>> Sent: Friday, November 16, 2012 10:10 PM
>>
>>
>> [From Kent McClelland (2013.11.16.1501 CDT)]
>>
>> By some mistake, I sent my latest reply to the posts on this thread
> directly
>> to Rick Marken rather than to the CSGnet address.
>>
>> I don't have anything substantive at the moment to add to his reply to

my

>> post, other than to thank him for his insights. He's right, however,

that

>> the exchange should be part of the CSGnet record, so I'm posting his
>> reply
>> on the net.
>>
>> Kent
>>
>>
>> > Hi Kent
>> >
>> > I just noticed that I'm replying to a post that was just sent to me
>> > rather than to CSGNet. I think we could get a lot more interesting
>> > comments (like from Bill) if we put this back up on csgnet. If that's
>> > OK then how about just replying to this post and copy your reply to
>> > CSGNet.
>> >
>> > Best
>> >
>> > Rick
>> >
>> >> [Froom Rick Marken (2012.11.14.1540)]
>> >>
>> >>> Kent McClelland (2012.11.12.1440 CST)
>> >>
>> >>> KM: My fellow sociologists have collected tons of data on a

plethora

> of
>> >>> social phenomena that involve apparent behavioral uniformity. Their
>> >>> explanations of what they have seen are almost always missing the
>> >>> insights that PCT could provide, and thus their data have not been
>> >>> necessarily collected in ways that are most appropriate from the

PCT

>> >>> point of view, but these are smart people who do careful work, and
>> often
>> >>> their findings are amenable to PCT explanations.
>> >>
>> >> RM: I think Bill Powers (who else?) has demonstrated one way control
>> >> models can be used to explain the kinds of data sociologists collect
>> >> in his CROWD program. This program shows how the patterns of crowd
>> >> organization and movement observed by McPhail and Tucker could be
>> >> explained by assuming that each member of the crowd is controlling
for
>> >> getting to a particular place while avoiding obstacles (including
>> >> other people) and not getting to close to anyone (or thing) else. I
>> >> also think the two person interaction research that Tom Bourbon did

is

>> >> a good start at a PCT approach to explaining social phenomena. I

think

···

>> -----Original Message-----
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> On Nov 14, 2012, at 5:43 PM, Richard Marken wrote:
>> > On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Richard Marken > <rsmarken@gmail.com> > >> > wrote:
>> >> sociological phenomena emerge out of the interactions between
>> >> individual control systems. So understanding what happens in the
>> >> simplest case -- that of an interaction between two control systems

--

>> >> could be the basis for building a whole new sociology (just as the
>> >> test for the controlled variable could the basis for building a

whole

>> >> new psychology). I guess you know that my preference regarding PCT
and
>> >> psychology is to just start psychology from scratch with the new
>> >> understanding that the subject of study are purposive (control)

rather

>> >> than lineal causal systems; that means just ignoring much of what

are

>> >> considered the basic research results in psychology. I think the

same

>> >> should done with sociology unless (as in the CROWD case and in my
>> >> object interception research) it is clear how PCT can be applied to
>> >> explain the existing data.
>> >>
>> >> Since you are basically a theorist rather than an experimenter, I
>> >> guess I would suggest that you look carefully for some existing
>> >> sociological data that can probably be modeled using PCT: research
>> >> where it's pretty clear what the controlled variables of the
>> >> individual members of the group are. I would not feel compelled to
>> >> explain all the sociological data in terms of PCT any more than I
>> >> would feel compelled to explain all the psychological data using

PCT.

>> >> Just find something clearly explicable in terms of PCT (like the
>> >> object interception data that I found) and then build a model that
>> >> explains the data perfectly (as I did with the object interception
>> >> data) and makes predictions about what will observed in other

studies.

>> >>
>> >>>
>> >>> KM: I don't have the resources to do a lot of original research
> myself,
>> >>> but I think there is some value in the role of a theorist who

offers

>> >>> alternative explanations for the well-documented findings of

others.

>> >>> Encouraging the imagination of a younger generation, if nothing

else.

>> >>
>> >> RM: Again, I would be very selective about what well-documented
>> >> findings I took on with PCT. But we have to start somewhere so how
>> >> about posting one or two of these well documented findings and let's
>> >> see whether a PCT model seems like it might work and, if not, let's
>> >> see why.
>> >>
>> >> Best
>> >>
>> >> Rick
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> Richard S. Marken PhD
>> >> rsmarken@gmail.com
>> >> www.mindreadings.com
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > --
>> > Richard S. Marken PhD
>> > rsmarken@gmail.com
>> > www.mindreadings.com
>

Hi Fred,

maybe it's really quite some time from that event and maybe we forgot much.
But by my oppinion the most important thing is, no matter whether it was
simulation or model or just a GAP-ACT concept, that we understood whether
ball (affordance or whatever environmental variable) imply behavior of baseball
catcher or not ?

So the question was whether characteristics of the flight of the ball "regulate"
or direct baseball catcher's behavior or not depends on baseball cathcer,
who is estimating the point of catching and choose his unique behavior
(according to the purpose of player...).

The goal is probably to catch the ball (to estimate where it will fall) not to behave in
accordance with characteristics of flying ball in every moment.
Whether catcher will go faster or slower to the estimated catching point,
wether he will kneel down or bound to catch it, or will make a shorter or longer stop
to estimate where the ball will fall, probably depends from his estimating abilities,
his physical and other abilities that enable him succesfull "catch" trial.
That's probably how catchers differ in their prize money for their play or
how high their abilities are valued.

So I suppose that "angular velocity" doesn't regulate catcher's behavior,
although it can influence his judgement. I hope that Rick's model or simulation
or concept that is behind, is far more soffisticated than just giving the description
of flying ball.

I suppose that could be aslo applyed to conversation. Both talking partners
are control systems to each other not "fixed variables" which can be controlled.
At least this is how I see things.

Best,

Boris

···

----- Original Message ----- From: "Fred Nickols" <fred@NICKOLS.US>
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2012 7:41 PM

[From Fred Nickols (2012.11.18.1144 AZ)]

Thanks for the compliment, Boris, but I never "modeled" catching a
baseball.
I might have tried to "explain" it using the GAP-ACT model but I would
never
try to "model" it. Rick Marken has modeled catching a baseball and
pinpointed the key perception in doing so successfully; namely (as I
recall)
"angular velocity."

Fred Nickols

Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2012 11:10 AM

Hi Fred,

what a nice start. I remember your GAP-ACT diagram as that was the first
thing I was acquainted with when I came to CSGnet. I think we modeled
"baseball catch".

FN :

Let's say they're having a conversation and the target variable they're

both

> its > "tone").
conditions. Both have perceptions of the target variable. It's>
possible

that

the behavior of either of them might constitute a disturbance > to the

other.

single

dimension.

takes

two people to do.

you're

well out of the range of things

HB :

I hopped we could start with some more complex variables as conversation
seems to me very complex activity.

1.. Is target "fixed controlled variable" or "flexibel" or is just some

controlled

part of external environment ?
  3.. What do you mean by goals or reference conditions in person A and B

?

Are these goals somehow "inter-changing" through conversation or they are
"fixed" from the beginning of conversation ?
Best,

Boris

> [From Fred Nickols (2012.11.16.1616 AZ)]
>
> Boris:
>
> Attached in a Word document is a diagram showing two individuals
> interacting. It's based on my Target or GAP-ACT model which is based
> on
> PCT.
>
> Let's say they're having a conversation and the target variable they're
> both
> its
> "tone"). Both are engaging in verbal behaviors. Both have goals or
> reference conditions. Both have perceptions of the target variable.

It's

> possible that the behavior of either of them might constitute a
> disturbance
> to the other. Other conditions such as noise or interruptions might

also

> serve as disturbances. This is a simple dyadic or two-person encounter
> with
> a single dimension. It could also illustrate a two-person cooperative
> task,
> something that takes two people to do. But, as you can doubtless
> guess,
> go
> beyond this kind of simplicity and you're well out of the range of

things

>
> Others feel free to chime in if I'm way wide of the mark.
>
> Fred Nickols
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Control Systems Group Network (CSGnet)
>> [mailto:CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU] On Behalf Of boris_upc
>> Sent: Friday, November 16, 2012 2:42 PM
>> To: CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU
>>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> could somebody explain how "human interaction" or "interaction
between
>> two control systems" in PCT language look like ?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Boris
>>
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "McClelland, Kent" <MCCLEL@GRINNELL.EDU>
>> To: <CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU>
>> Sent: Friday, November 16, 2012 10:10 PM
>>
>> [From Kent McClelland (2013.11.16.1501 CDT)]
>>
>> By some mistake, I sent my latest reply to the posts on this thread
> directly
>> to Rick Marken rather than to the CSGnet address.
>>
>> I don't have anything substantive at the moment to add to his reply to

my

>> post, other than to thank him for his insights. He's right, however,

that

>> the exchange should be part of the CSGnet record, so I'm posting his
>> reply
>> on the net.
>>
>> Kent
>>
>> On Nov 14, 2012, at 5:43 PM, Richard Marken wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Kent
>> >
>> > I just noticed that I'm replying to a post that was just sent to me
>> > rather than to CSGNet. I think we could get a lot more interesting
>> > comments (like from Bill) if we put this back up on csgnet. If
>> > that's
>> > OK then how about just replying to this post and copy your reply to
>> > CSGNet.
>> >
>> > Best
>> >
>> > Rick
>> >
>> > On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Richard Marken >> <rsmarken@gmail.com> >> >> > wrote:
>> >> [Froom Rick Marken (2012.11.14.1540)]
>> >>
>> >>> Kent McClelland (2012.11.12.1440 CST)
>> >>
>> >>> KM: My fellow sociologists have collected tons of data on a

plethora

> of
>> >>> social phenomena that involve apparent behavioral uniformity.
>> >>> Their
>> >>> explanations of what they have seen are almost always missing the
>> >>> insights that PCT could provide, and thus their data have not been
>> >>> necessarily collected in ways that are most appropriate from the

PCT

>> >>> point of view, but these are smart people who do careful work, and
>> often
>> >>> their findings are amenable to PCT explanations.
>> >>
>> >> RM: I think Bill Powers (who else?) has demonstrated one way
>> >> control
>> >> models can be used to explain the kinds of data sociologists
>> >> collect
>> >> in his CROWD program. This program shows how the patterns of crowd
>> >> organization and movement observed by McPhail and Tucker could be
>> >> explained by assuming that each member of the crowd is controlling
for
>> >> getting to a particular place while avoiding obstacles (including
>> >> other people) and not getting to close to anyone (or thing) else.
>> >> I
>> >> also think the two person interaction research that Tom Bourbon did

is

>> >> a good start at a PCT approach to explaining social phenomena. I

think

>> >> sociological phenomena emerge out of the interactions between
>> >> individual control systems. So understanding what happens in the
>> >> simplest case -- that of an interaction between two control systems

--

>> >> could be the basis for building a whole new sociology (just as the
>> >> test for the controlled variable could the basis for building a

whole

>> >> new psychology). I guess you know that my preference regarding PCT
and
>> >> psychology is to just start psychology from scratch with the new
>> >> understanding that the subject of study are purposive (control)

rather

>> >> than lineal causal systems; that means just ignoring much of what

are

>> >> considered the basic research results in psychology. I think the

same

>> >> should done with sociology unless (as in the CROWD case and in my
>> >> object interception research) it is clear how PCT can be applied to
>> >> explain the existing data.
>> >>
>> >> Since you are basically a theorist rather than an experimenter, I
>> >> guess I would suggest that you look carefully for some existing
>> >> sociological data that can probably be modeled using PCT: research
>> >> where it's pretty clear what the controlled variables of the
>> >> individual members of the group are. I would not feel compelled to
>> >> explain all the sociological data in terms of PCT any more than I
>> >> would feel compelled to explain all the psychological data using

PCT.

>> >> Just find something clearly explicable in terms of PCT (like the
>> >> object interception data that I found) and then build a model that
>> >> explains the data perfectly (as I did with the object interception
>> >> data) and makes predictions about what will observed in other

studies.

>> >>
>> >>>
>> >>> KM: I don't have the resources to do a lot of original research
> myself,
>> >>> but I think there is some value in the role of a theorist who

offers

>> >>> alternative explanations for the well-documented findings of

others.

>> >>> Encouraging the imagination of a younger generation, if nothing

else.

>> >>
>> >> RM: Again, I would be very selective about what well-documented
>> >> findings I took on with PCT. But we have to start somewhere so how
>> >> about posting one or two of these well documented findings and
>> >> let's
>> >> see whether a PCT model seems like it might work and, if not, let's
>> >> see why.
>> >>
>> >> Best
>> >>
>> >> Rick
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> Richard S. Marken PhD
>> >> rsmarken@gmail.com
>> >> www.mindreadings.com
>> >
>> > --
>> > Richard S. Marken PhD
>> > rsmarken@gmail.com
>> > www.mindreadings.com
>

[From Bill Powers (2012.11.19.1440 MST)]

The goal is probably to catch the ball (to estimate where it will fall) not to behave in accordance with characteristics of flying ball in every moment.
wether he will kneel down or bound to catch it, or will make a shorter or longer stop
to estimate where the ball will fall, probably depends from his estimating abilities,

BP: Actually this is the old theory of ball-catching that Rick's model and other related ones refute. It is not necessary for the catcher to estimate where the ball will come down. If the catcher moves so as to keep the apparent position of the ball vertically above home plate at some constant or slowly changing angle, the catcher will find himself exactly where the ball comes down, or close enough to catch it. Rick may have the reference, furthermore, to a study in which it was found that even highly-paid professional ball catchers usually can't estimate where a ball will land with enough accuracy to simply run to that place, turn around, and catch the ball. I have satisfied myself by watching baseball on television that catchers (more properly, "fielders") who try to catch balls in the way the old theory assumes usually fail to catch it. Sometimes they succeed, and such successes are often remembered exactly because they are so rare.

You will find that the best fielders glance at the ball frequently while running, and if possible keep the ball in the field of view all the time -- as the baseball coaches put it, they "look the ball into the glove."

Best,

Bill P.

···

At 10:22 PM 11/19/2012 +0100, Boris Hartman wrote:

[From John Kirkland 2012.11.20 2020 NZST]

As I recall didn’t JJGibson do something similar with respect to guiding pilots attempting to land on aircraft carriers in WWII? The same principle is still deployed, at least in broadcast news shots: aim at the lowest of a vertical column of sequentially flashing lights, the bottom one that ‘sits on the deck’, and ignore almost anything else. Apparently this approach saved many lives; previously pilots were trying to see where to land safely taking into account irrelevant details, with disastrous consequences.

And thanks Martin. I’ve read much of what JJ wrote, including the Cornell notebooks, and so far as I’m concerned you did a nice job. I’d quite liked to have been a fly on the wall when you shared the podium with him.

Laters…

JohnK

···

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Bill Powers powers_w@frontier.net wrote:

The goal is probably to catch the ball (to estimate where it will fall) not to behave in accordance with characteristics of flying ball in every moment.

his physical and other abilities that enable him succesfull “catch” trial.

That’s probably how catchers differ in their prize money for their play or

BP: Actually this is the old theory of ball-catching that Rick’s model and other related ones refute. It is not necessary for the catcher to estimate where the ball will come down. If the catcher moves so as to keep the apparent position of the ball vertically above home plate at some constant or slowly changing angle, the catcher will find himself exactly where the ball comes down, or close enough to catch it. Rick may have the reference, furthermore, to a study in which it was found that even highly-paid professional ball catchers usually can’t estimate where a ball will land with enough accuracy to simply run to that place, turn around, and catch the ball. I have satisfied myself by watching baseball on television that catchers (more properly, “fielders”) who try to catch balls in the way the old theory assumes usually fail to catch it. Sometimes they succeed, and such successes are often remembered exactly because they are so rare.

You will find that the best fielders glance at the ball frequently while running, and if possible keep the ball in the field of view all the time – as the baseball coaches put it, they “look the ball into the glove.”

Best,

Bill P.

O.K. I think that we need unique theory of ball-catching (human behavior)

As far as I can see you are proposing two different theories:

"NEW" THEORY :
BP:

1. It is not necessary for the

catcher to estimate where the ball will come down. If the catcher moves so
as to keep the apparent position of the ball vertically above home plate
at some constant or slowly changing angle, the catcher will find himself
exactly where the ball comes down, or close enough to catch it.

"OLD" THEORY :
BP :

2. I have satisfied myself by watching baseball on television that

catchers (more properly, "fielders") who try to catch balls in the way the
old theory assumes usually fail to catch it. Sometimes they succeed, and
such successes are often remembered exactly because they are so rare.

HB:
Both theories (if I understand right) explain special cases or maybe I can
say special "playing situations". And as you say they are experienced (on
TV), I can probably conclude that both are right, as they correctly predict
or describe behavior of "real" players in "real" situation.
I suppose that only the theory which describes or predicts behavior in the way
that matches the "reality" is for me right theory.

In 1.case you say (if I understand right) that ball (*ffordance) is
"directing" behavior of the catcher (fielder), because the catcher (fielder)
is "looking" at the ball all the time (with some constant or slowly changing
angle) and fielder "miraculously" find himself "exactly where the ball comes
down or close enough to catch it". I somehow missed PCT explanation of this
"situation".

In 2. case (if I understand right) you are saying that you saw on TV how
catchers (fielders) are estimating the flight of the ball and run to the place where
they can catch it. And these succesfull catching are very rare.

My oppinion is, that even if behavior is rare, it's part of the control
system which is functioning in the same way in any case (1. and 2. case) and
any behavior control system produces that we can perceive or imagine is
valid and must be included in theory and explained with the same "tools", if
the theory is right and good.

If PCT is believed to be right and unique theory of human behavior, than I
suppose it has to explain any "real" behavior of control system in succesfull way.
Although I suppose it's better one PCT way for explaining all behaviors
not two different ways (for ex. old and new).
I don't see how can "real" control system work in separate cases differently
(in new and old way) if there is only one PCT and if "real situation" is reference
for the theory to be right or wrong.

If you saw it on TV, than it doesn't matter how rare behavior is, it is
something what happened "in "reality" and control system did it, so if the
theory is right it will succesfully explain what has happened.
So I think that succesfull explanation with the unique theory which explain
ALL behaviors of control system, is right and good.

And PCT is supposed to be that kind of theory.

I think that in both cases catcher (fielder) is estimating the
"catching-point" as the goal of every behavior of the fielder in any case is to
"catch the ball".

In 1. case he is estimating the catching-point on the bases of "continuous
perception", as he has time to "watch the ball". The more he watch the ball
the more precise he will estimate the "catching-point", and the more chances
that trial of "catching the ball" will be succesfull.

In the 2. case as I see it, fielder hasn't enough time to precisly estimate
the flight of the ball, because it's probably to fast or/and to high. So he saw it for the
moment and start running immediatelly as he estimated that any part of the
second that he miss, the controlling of the "catching a ball" will be
impossible. So he starts running maybe "blindly" or by some "feeling" to the
"catching-point".

But as I see it, the basis of "estimation of the flight of the ball" is the
same in all behaviors, no matter how much time fielder has to estimate it's
trajectory. The process of control that's going on in organism is the same
in any case, if PCT is right theory.

So in any case as I see it, fielder is controlling for "catching the ball"
in certain point. If you'll watch on TV again, I'm sure you will precisely
see that any player in any "playing situation" is controling for "catching the ball".

So I think that at least we must have some unigue model (concept) that will
explain all the behaviors of fielders if the theory is matching the
"reality" ? We don't need two theories.

I'll try with Fred's GAP-ACT concept to make a unigue concept (model), which would
be able to explain every behavior of the catchers (fielders). I'll try in
this way :

INSIDE ORGANISM
G = goal (wanted perception, catching the ball or the ball in the
glove of the catcher)
A = action (internal environment. I suppose that Fred ment, if I see right,
nervous-muscles connection, driven by "error" in comparator)
P = perception (I suppose perception of the ball)

OUTSIDE ORGANISM
A = action (behavior, outer expression of the muscles activity in outer
environment that can be observed)
C = conditions (probably Fred meant variables in environment that affect the
ball - disturbances - and other environmental variables)
T = target (I suppose he meant controlled variable in outer environment, the
ball)

So my opppinion is that the catcher (fielder) is perceiving the flight of
the ball, and in imagination starts to estimate the place where the ball
will fall. There are probably differences in how fast "players" estimates
the "catching point".

When the goal is set (wanted perception of the ball), the difference between goal and
actual flight of the ball is perceived, so with action the fielder starts to
reduce the difference between actual perception of the flying ball and reference -
estimated catching point in imagination.

If in your 1. case, "looking at the ball" (for ex. it's "angular velocity") is the reference
of the fielder, from what will perception be subtracted ?

So as I see it, every behavior by Fred model (concept) can be explained, so
the theory should be working for all goal-directed behaviors of human.

Can you use the same Freds' concept to explain your vision what is
happening. You can make also mathematical description of what is happening.
I'm really interested to see it.

I'm most interested in PCT explanation of this "new" one :
BP: Actually this is the old theory of ball-catching that Rick's
model and other related ones refute. It is not necessary for the
catcher to estimate where the ball will come down. If the catcher
moves so as to keep the apparent position of the ball vertically
above home plate at some constant or slowly changing angle, the
catcher will find himself exactly where the ball comes down, or close
enough to catch it.

HB :
What excatly is happening in the comparator while catcher (fielder) "moves
so as to keep the apparent position of the ball.".
What is so apparent that it don't need PCT explanation ?

Best,
Boris

···

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Powers" <powers_w@FRONTIER.NET>
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2012 11:02 PM

The goal is probably to catch the ball (to estimate where it will fall)
not to behave in accordance with characteristics of flying ball in every
moment.
wether he will kneel down or bound to catch it, or will make a shorter or
longer stop
to estimate where the ball will fall, probably depends from his estimating
abilities,

BP: Actually this is the old theory of ball-catching that Rick's model and
other related ones refute. It is not necessary for the catcher to estimate
where the ball will come down. If the catcher moves so as to keep the
apparent position of the ball vertically above home plate at some constant
or slowly changing angle, the catcher will find himself exactly where the
ball comes down, or close enough to catch it. Rick may have the reference,
furthermore, to a study in which it was found that even highly-paid
professional ball catchers usually can't estimate where a ball will land
with enough accuracy to simply run to that place, turn around, and catch
the ball. I have satisfied myself by watching baseball on television that
catchers (more properly, "fielders") who try to catch balls in the way the
old theory assumes usually fail to catch it. Sometimes they succeed, and
such successes are often remembered exactly because they are so rare.

You will find that the best fielders glance at the ball frequently while
running, and if possible keep the ball in the field of view all the
time -- as the baseball coaches put it, they "look the ball into the
glove."

Best,

Bill P.

[From Fred Nickols (2012.11.20.0733 AZ)]

My comments are embedded below. Material to which I am not responding has
been snipped.

Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:25 AM

O.K. I think that we need unique theory of ball-catching (human behavior)

[Fred Nickols] I think we have a theory of ball-catching, as expressed in
Rick Marken's model.

"OLD" THEORY :
BP :

2. I have satisfied myself by watching baseball on television that
> catchers (more properly, "fielders") who try to catch balls in the way
> the old theory assumes usually fail to catch it. Sometimes they
> succeed, and such successes are often remembered exactly because they
are so rare.

[Fred Nickols] Actually, I don't think Bill can say what he wrote above.
As he likes to point out, we can't tell what someone is up to by simply
observing their behavior. He might "guess" that some fielders are trying to
estimate where the ball will come down but I don't think he can really tell
that's what they're trying to do.

HB:
Both theories (if I understand right) explain special cases or maybe I can

say

special "playing situations". And as you say they are experienced (on TV),

I

can probably conclude that both are right, as they correctly predict or
describe behavior of "real" players in "real" situation.
I suppose that only the theory which describes or predicts behavior in the
way that matches the "reality" is for me right theory.

In 1.case you say (if I understand right) that ball (*ffordance) is

"directing"

behavior of the catcher (fielder), because the catcher (fielder) is

"looking" at

the ball all the time (with some constant or slowly changing
angle) and fielder "miraculously" find himself "exactly where the ball

comes

down or close enough to catch it". I somehow missed PCT explanation of

this

"situation".

[Fred Nickols] Again, I think that's Rick's model.

I think that in both cases catcher (fielder) is estimating the

"catching-point" as

the goal of every behavior of the fielder in any case is to "catch the

ball".

[Fred Nickols] I'm not a good ball player but I have played some and in the
outfield. The first thing to which I recall responding is the crack of the
bat hitting the ball. The sound tells me something. The initial trajectory
tells me something too; namely, the general direction, movement and speed.
Depending on what that is, I take off running, all the while keeping an eye
on the ball. The relative movement between me (one the run) and the ball
(on the fly) tell me if I'm likely to intercept it or not. If so, I keep
doing what I'm doing. If not, I speed up, change course, slow down or
whatever it takes to maintain my sense that I am likely to intercept the
ball. I do not estimate where it will land; I estimate or take stock of the
likelihood that I can/will intercept it.

We don't need two theories.

[Fred Nickols]
I don't think Bill was advancing two theories but I'll leave that to him.

I'll try with Fred's GAP-ACT concept to make a unigue concept (model),

which

would be able to explain every behavior of the catchers (fielders). I'll

try in

this way :

INSIDE ORGANISM
G = goal (wanted perception, catching the ball or the ball in the glove of

the

catcher) A = action (internal environment. I suppose that Fred ment, if I

see

right, nervous-muscles connection, driven by "error" in comparator) P =
perception (I suppose perception of the ball)

OUTSIDE ORGANISM
A = action (behavior, outer expression of the muscles activity in outer
environment that can be observed) C = conditions (probably Fred meant
variables in environment that affect the ball - disturbances - and other
environmental variables) T = target (I suppose he meant controlled

variable

in outer environment, the
ball)

[Fred Nickols] Fred meant "ball in glove" or, in shorthand, "caught"

So my opppinion is that the catcher (fielder) is perceiving the flight of

the

ball, and in imagination starts to estimate the place where the ball will

fall.

[Fred Nickols] I don't. I think the fielder/catcher is predicting whether
or not he can intercept the ball. He's not focused on the physical landing
point but, rather, the relative change in position between himself and the
ball.

There are probably differences in how fast "players" estimates the

"catching

point".

When the goal is set (wanted perception of the ball), the difference
between goal and actual flight of the ball is perceived, so with action

the

fielder starts to reduce the difference between actual perception of the
flying ball and reference - estimated catching point in imagination.

[Fred Nickols] Close but not quite. I don't think the catcher is estimating
the catching point. He's keeping track of how well he's reducing the
distance between himself and the ball, not where the ball will likely come
down.

If in your 1. case, "looking at the ball" (for ex. it's "angular

velocity") is the

reference of the fielder, from what will perception be subtracted ?

So as I see it, every behavior by Fred model (concept) can be explained,

so

the theory should be working for all goal-directed behaviors of human.

Can you use the same Freds' concept to explain your vision what is
happening. You can make also mathematical description of what is
happening.
I'm really interested to see it.

[Fred Nickols] Boris: I'm glad you like my GAP-ACT model but I don't think
it's quite fair to ask Bill to explain anything in terms of it. Besides,
it's not "my" concept; it's simply a view based on PCT.

···