B:CP Course Week 8: Study Guide for CH. 7 Intensity Control

[From Rick Marken (2013.08.18.1315)]

OK, here is the study guide for the next chapter, Ch 7, Intensity Control,. This diverges from the syllabus as I had planned to deal with the chapters on the hierarchy in groups. But after reading these chapters I can see that they are way too difficult to deal with as a group so we’ll go through each chapter, one at a time and, hopefully, finish the course before the super volcano that is the Yellowstone caldera goes off and it’s the end of the world anyway;-)

Study Guide, Ch 7 Intensity Control.doc (29 KB)

···

Best regards

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com

www.mindreadings.com

[From Rupert Young (2013.08.24.1230)]

This chapter is fairly understandable, and uncontroversial, as it extends concepts previously encountered and puts the basic unit of control in the context of the boundary between the environment and the organism, characterising perceptions as one-dimensional signals of the intensity (quantity) of environmental characteristics present, of a particular domain. Though I can't say I followed the gamma reference signal section and I don't have a feel for the biological plausibility of what was presented, such as figure 7.3.

The analysis is important as it provides a simple mathematical model of the role of feedback in determining compensating actions of the system, rather than specific actions being computed in order to generate specific behaviour.

I do have doubts though whether we can actually consciously perceive perceptions at this level, or whether what we perceive, when tensing muscles for example, are higher level sensations say. How do we tell? We don't experience the intensity perceptions in the operation of iris movements; why not?

Leading questions:
1. Yes, I can feel something when I tense muscles. The feeling is the same for different muscles, but I can't say whether the feeling corresponds to amount of effort; how can you? Is pain also a first-order signal?
2. Yes, the level of the perceptions is high, in terms of amount of perception. Quiet, dim and bland.
3. No. No.
4. Yes, if you can hear a sound then it must have a pitch.
5. No, I can view the centre of a piece of paper where there is brightness but no edges.
Regards,
Rupert

[From Rick Marken (2013.08.25.1150)]

Rupert Young (2013.08.24.1230)--

Thanks for this Rupert. My summary of this chapter will be a bit late
this time I'm afraid; have to grade papers;-)

But I'll try to comment quickly on your post:

This chapter is fairly understandable, and uncontroversial, as it extends
concepts previously encountered and puts the basic unit of control in the
context of the boundary between the environment and the organism,
characterising perceptions as one-dimensional signals of the intensity
(quantity) of environmental characteristics present, of a particular domain.
Though I can't say I followed the gamma reference signal section and I don't
have a feel for the biological plausibility of what was presented, such as
figure 7.3.

RM: I agree, the gamma reference stuff is tough for me too. The best
way to try to get it would probably be to build a model that
corresponds to figure 7.3 and see how it works. I don't have time for
that right now but if someone could do that it would be a nice
contribution to the course!!

The analysis is important as it provides a simple mathematical model of the
role of feedback in determining compensating actions of the system, rather
than specific actions being computed in order to generate specific
behaviour.

I do have doubts though whether we can actually consciously perceive
perceptions at this level, or whether what we perceive, when tensing muscles
for example, are higher level sensations say. How do we tell? We don't
experience the intensity perceptions in the operation of iris movements; why
not?

I think we can perceive what Bill called intensity perceptions. Your
answer to the first leading questoin suggests that you can, indeed,
perceive them. I think we can't experience the iris intensity signals
because the are just too small. But that's a good question. But I
think we don't have to tense muscles to experience intensity; the
subjective experience of intensity can be had by trying to pay
attention only to the "how much" of any perception and ignoring
everything else about it -- like whether it's a color, a sounds, a
tension, etc. It's kind of an exercise in introspection.

Leading questions:

1. Yes, I can feel something when I tense muscles. The feeling is the same for
different muscles, but I can't say whether the feeling corresponds to amount
of effort; how can you? Is pain also a first-order signal?

The pure feeling of magnitude when you tense a muscle is the intensity
perception. Experiencing that perception as "effort" is, I believe, a
higher level perception. The magnitide of pain is an intensity
perception; the fact that it's pain rather than some other kind of
perception is, I would say, a sensation level perception.

2. Yes, the level of the perceptions is high, in terms of amount of perception.

Great, then you are experiencing intensity (pay no attention to all
those other higher level aspects ofthe perception).

3. Quiet, dim and bland.
No. No.

I don't understand these answers.

4.Yes, if you can hear a sound then it must have a pitch.

I think the point here is that w/o loudness there can be no pitch.So
in order for a sound to have a detectable loudness it is not necessary
that it have a detectable pitch.

No, I can view the centre of a piece of paper where there is brightness but
no edges.

Right!

Best

Rick

···

Regards,
Rupert

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Kent McClelland (2013.08.25.1710 EDT)]

In Rick's study guide for Chapter 7, he discusses "deafferentation" experiments, which he says have been taken as evidence against the PCT model. Here's how he describes these experiments in the study guide:

RM: One of the presumably strong pieces of evidence against the �control of perception� view comes from studies of the behavior of organisms who have been surgically or naturally (due to disease) �deafferented� � that is, who have lost or been deprived their lowest level (intensity) perceptions; who no longer have the ability to perceive the effort resulting from muscle tension. Many studies purport to show that deafferented organisms are nevertheless able to produce coherent behavior. It looks like the nervous systems of these organisms are able to command the muscles to produce intended forces even though the consequences of these forces cannot be perceived.

If the results of the deafferentiation studies show what they purport to show then it would be a significant blow to PCT. So I think it�s worth discussing these studies in the context of these chapters. If anyone has any knowledge about these studies it would be nice if we could start a discussion about this in class (on CSGNet).

KM: Having no expertise whatever in these matters, but still interested in any evidence that might be inconsistent with PCT, I took a quick (and admittedly superficial) look through some of the literature on deafferentation to see what kind of a challenge it might pose to the PCT model.

Here's the citation and abstract of the article on deafferentation that gets first place in Google Scholar for the number of citations by other scholars, so, although it comes from 1982, I take it to be a foundational study in that line of research:

ï¿½ J. C. ROTHWELL,
  ï¿½ M. M. TRAUB,
  ï¿½ B. L. DAY,
  ï¿½ J. A. OBESO,
  ï¿½ P. K. THOMAS,
  ï¿½ and C. D. MARSDEN

MANUAL MOTOR PERFORMANCE IN A DEAFFERENTED MAN
Brain (1982) 105 (3): 515-542 doi:10.1093/brain/105.3.515

Summary

We have studied manual motor function in a man deafferented by a severe peripheral sensory neuropathy. Motor power was almost unaffected. Our patient could produce a very wide range of preprogrammed finger movements with remarkable accuracy, involving complex muscle synergies of the hand and forearm muscles. He could perform individual finger movements and outline figures in the air with his eyes closed. He had normal pre- and postmovement EEG potentials, and showed the normal bi/triphasic pattern of muscle activation in agonist and antagonist muscles during fast limb movements. He could also move his thumb accurately through three different distances at three different speeds, and could produce three different levels of force at his thumb pad when required. Although he could not judge the weights of objects placed in his hands without vision, he was able to match forces applied by the experimenter to the pad of each thumb if he was given a minimal indication of thumb movement.

Despite his success with these laboratory tasks, his hands were relatively useless to him in daily life. He was unable to grasp a pen and write, to fasten his shirt buttons or to hold a cup in one hand. Part of his difficulty lay in the absence of any automatic reflex correction in his voluntary movements, and also to an inability to sustain constant levels of muscle contraction without visual feedback over periods of more than one or two seconds. He was also unable to maintain long sequences of simple motor programmes without vision.

(A pdf of the full text of the study is available at this URL: http://e.guigon.free.fr/rsc/article/RothwellEtAl82.pdf )

KM: The first paragraph of this summary seems like a clear refutation of the PCT model. As Rick told us, the authors report that the deafferented man they studied was able to produce many types of coherent movement. But notice the kicker in paragraph two. "[H]is hands were relatively useless to him in daily life" outside the laboratory. And even in the first paragraph, the authors note that "he could not judge the weights of objects placed in his hands without vision ..."

My PCT interpretation of this study is that the laboratory tasks assigned to him involved perceptions at the configuration level or above, and that the control-system-units in his brain for accomplishing these tasks get their incoming signals from more than one mode of perceptual feedback, probably visual feedback and proprioceptive feedback about the positions of limbs and digits, as well as his deafferented muscle-effort intensity receptors. Even with one of the modes of feedback gone, he could still control the perceptions involved in the laboratory tasks reasonably well, because feedback from the other perceptual modes could "pinch hit" for the lost information. The authors' emphasis on the importance of visual feedback seems consistent with this PCT interpretation. The fact of his "inability to sustain constant levels of muscle contraction without visual feedback over periods of more than one or two seconds" also makes it clear that without the intensity-level feedback from muscles his effort-control systems just weren't working properly.

I looked at the abstracts of a few of the other highly-cited studies on the topic, but didn't find anything that seemed to provide any stronger evidence against the PCT model than this study, and my conclusion from this quick survey is that deafferentation studies are not all that big a deal (and in fact might provide some evidence that supports the PCT model). Of course, I'm no expert and I'm biased ...

Kent

···

On Aug 25, 2013, at 2:53 PM, Richard Marken wrote:

figure 7.3.

behaviour.

not?

Leading questions:

3. Quiet, dim and bland.
No. No.

no edges.

Right!

Best

Rick

Regards,
Rupert

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[John Kirkland 20130821]

A few observations.

For years I’ve been fascinated by synesthesia because since a kid I’ve experienced these effects. For example, as a mechanical tinkerer when I drop a spanner (wrench) onto concrete the sudden sound explodes as a bright light. As a result over the years I’ve adopted a number of precautions to limit these effects; wearing ear plugs, dark glasses and so on. All of which I understand now are taken to limit/muffle intensity, and thus mitigate synesthestic effects.

The reference to ‘direct perception’ (p96 para 2) has a possible link to JJ Gibson. Does this imply no processing at this level?

With regard to leading q#4, consider too the auditory illusion of Shepard scales: http://www.positscience.com/brain-resources/brain-teasers/never-ending-scales

And leading q#5: other examples of edgeless detectable brightness includes anything without microstructure as with holes, fog, mist, white-out, cloud. And for another sensory system like incense or its base, smoke, for olfaction. Now, if the word ‘discriminable’ is substituted for ‘detectable’ is there any difference in meaning? That is, are these words synonyms? I suspect not since discriminable is lower order (Eleanor Gibson this time)

My quip for this chapter (first para pg 96): when less means more

Kind regards

JohnK

···

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 10:09 AM, McClelland, Kent MCCLEL@grinnell.edu wrote:

In Rick’s study guide for Chapter 7, he discusses “deafferentation” experiments, which he says have been taken as evidence against the PCT model. Here’s how he describes these experiments in the study guide:

RM: One of the presumably strong pieces of evidence against the “control of perception” view comes from studies of the behavior of organisms who have been surgically or naturally (due to disease) “deafferented” – that is, who have lost or been deprived their lowest level (intensity) perceptions; who no longer have the ability to perceive the effort resulting from muscle tension. Many studies purport to show that deafferented organisms are nevertheless able to produce coherent behavior. It looks like the nervous systems of these organisms are able to command the muscles to produce intended forces even though the consequences of these forces cannot be perceived.

If the results of the deafferentiation studies show what they purport to show then it would be a significant blow to PCT. So I think it’s worth discussing these studies in the context of these chapters. If anyone has any knowledge about these studies it would be nice if we could start a discussion about this in class (on CSGNet).

KM: Having no expertise whatever in these matters, but still interested in any evidence that might be inconsistent with PCT, I took a quick (and admittedly superficial) look through some of the literature on deafferentation to see what kind of a challenge it might pose to the PCT model.

Here’s the citation and abstract of the article on deafferentation that gets first place in Google Scholar for the number of citations by other scholars, so, although it comes from 1982, I take it to be a foundational study in that line of research:

• J. C. ROTHWELL,

• M. M. TRAUB,

• B. L. DAY,

• J. A. OBESO,

• P. K. THOMAS,

• and C. D. MARSDEN

Summary

We have studied manual motor function in a man deafferented by a severe peripheral sensory neuropathy. Motor power was almost unaffected. Our patient could produce a very wide range of preprogrammed finger movements with remarkable accuracy, involving complex muscle synergies of the hand and forearm muscles. He could perform individual finger movements and outline figures in the air with his eyes closed. He had normal pre- and postmovement EEG potentials, and showed the normal bi/triphasic pattern of muscle activation in agonist and antagonist muscles during fast limb movements. He could also move his thumb accurately through three different distances at three different speeds, and could produce three different levels of force at his thumb pad when required. Although he could not judge the weights of objects placed in his hands without vision, he was able to match forces applied by the experimenter to the pad of each thumb if he was given a minimal indication of thumb movement.

Despite his success with these laboratory tasks, his hands were relatively useless to him in daily life. He was unable to grasp a pen and write, to fasten his shirt buttons or to hold a cup in one hand. Part of his difficulty lay in the absence of any automatic reflex correction in his voluntary movements, and also to an inability to sustain constant levels of muscle contraction without visual feedback over periods of more than one or two seconds. He was also unable to maintain long sequences of simple motor programmes without vision.

(A pdf of the full text of the study is available at this URL: http://e.guigon.free.fr/rsc/article/RothwellEtAl82.pdf )

KM: The first paragraph of this summary seems like a clear refutation of the PCT model. As Rick told us, the authors report that the deafferented man they studied was able to produce many types of coherent movement. But notice the kicker in paragraph two. “[H]is hands were relatively useless to him in daily life” outside the laboratory. And even in the first paragraph, the authors note that “he could not judge the weights of objects placed in his hands without vision …”

My PCT interpretation of this study is that the laboratory tasks assigned to him involved perceptions at the configuration level or above, and that the control-system-units in his brain for accomplishing these tasks get their incoming signals from more than one mode of perceptual feedback, probably visual feedback and proprioceptive feedback about the positions of limbs and digits, as well as his deafferented muscle-effort intensity receptors. Even with one of the modes of feedback gone, he could still control the perceptions involved in the laboratory tasks reasonably well, because feedback from the other perceptual modes could “pinch hit” for the lost information. The authors’ emphasis on the importance of visual feedback seems consistent with this PCT interpretation. The fact of his “inability to sustain constant levels of muscle contraction without visual feedback over periods of more than one or two seconds” also makes it clear that without the intensity-level feedback from muscles his effort-control systems just weren’t working properly.

I looked at the abstracts of a few of the other highly-cited studies on the topic, but didn’t find anything that seemed to provide any stronger evidence against the PCT model than this study, and my conclusion from this quick survey is that deafferentation studies are not all that big a deal (and in fact might provide some evidence that supports the PCT model). Of course, I’m no expert and I’m biased …

Kent

Rupert Young (2013.08.24.1230)–

this time I’m afraid; have to grade papers;-)

But I’ll try to comment quickly on your post:

Though I can’t say I followed the gamma reference signal section and I don’t

figure 7.3.

corresponds to figure 7.3 and see how it works. I don’t have time for

behaviour.

for example, are higher level sensations say. How do we tell? We don’t

not?

perceive them. I think we can’t experience the iris intensity signals

because the are just too small. But that’s a good question. But I

think we don’t have to tense muscles to experience intensity; the

attention only to the “how much” of any perception and ignoring

everything else about it – like whether it’s a color, a sounds, a

tension, etc. It’s kind of an exercise in introspection.

Leading questions:

different muscles, but I can’t say whether the feeling corresponds to amount

perception. Experiencing that perception as “effort” is, I believe, a

perception; the fact that it’s pain rather than some other kind of

1. Yes, the level of the perceptions is high, in terms of amount of perception.

1. Quiet, dim and bland.

No. No.

I don’t understand these answers.

no edges.

Right!

Best

Rick

Regards,

Rupert

Richard S. Marken PhD

rsmarken@gmail.com

www.mindreadings.com

[David Goldstein (2013.08.27.11:05)]

[John Kirkland 20130821]

I and Bill Powers did a case study on a young woman who saw numbers printed in black ink as specific colors.

We applied PCT to try and understand the phenomena.

I presented it at a meeting of CSG in Cherry Hill.

I will try and find the power point and video I made for the meeting and can make it available to you

on Chrome Drive, if you are interested.

David

···

To: CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:15 AM
Subject: Re: B:CP Course Week 8: Study Guide for CH. 7 Intensity Control

[John Kirkland 20130821]

A few observations.

For years I’ve been fascinated by synesthesia because since a kid I’ve experienced these effects. For example, as a mechanical tinkerer when I drop a spanner (wrench) onto concrete the sudden sound explodes as a bright light. As a result over the years I’ve adopted a number of precautions to limit these effects; wearing ear plugs, dark
glasses and so on. All of which I understand now are taken to limit/muffle intensity, and thus mitigate synesthestic effects.

The reference to ‘direct perception’ (p96 para 2) has a possible link to JJ Gibson. Does this imply no processing at this level?

With regard to leading q#4, consider too the auditory illusion of Shepard scales: http://www.positscience.com/brain-resources/brain-teasers/never-ending-scales

And leading q#5: other examples of edgeless detectable brightness includes anything without microstructure as with holes, fog, mist, white-out, cloud. And for another sensory system like incense or its base, smoke, for olfaction. Now, if the word ‘discriminable’ is substituted for ‘detectable’ is there any difference in meaning? That is, are these words synonyms? I suspect not since discriminable is lower order (Eleanor Gibson this time)

Kind regards

JohnK

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 10:09 AM, McClelland, Kent MCCLEL@grinnell.edu wrote:

In Rick’s study guide for Chapter 7, he discusses “deafferentation” experiments, which he says have been taken as evidence against the PCT model. Here’s how he describes these experiments in the study guide:

RM: One of the presumably strong pieces of evidence against the “control of perceptionâ€? view comes from studies of the behavior of organisms who have been surgically or naturally (due to disease) “deafferentedâ€? – that is, who have lost or been deprived their lowest level (intensity) perceptions; who no longer have the ability to perceive the effort resulting from muscle tension. Many studies purport to show that deafferented organisms are nevertheless able to produce coherent behavior. It looks like the nervous systems of these organisms are able to command the muscles to produce intended forces even though the consequences of these forces cannot be perceived.

If the results of the deafferentiation studies show what they purport to show then it would be a significant blow to PCT. So I think it’s worth discussing these studies in the context of these chapters. If anyone has any knowledge about these studies it would be nice if we could start a discussion about this in class (on CSGNet).

Here’s the citation and abstract of the article on deafferentation that gets first place in Google Scholar for the number of citations by other scholars, so, although it comes from 1982, I take it to be a foundational study in that line of research:

• J. C. ROTHWELL,

• M. M. TRAUBB,

• B. L. DAY,

&nbspp; • J. A. OBESO,

• P. K. THOMAS,

• and C. C. D. MARSDEN

Summary

We have studied manual motor function in a man deafferented by a severe peripheral sensory neuropathy. Motor power was almost unaffected. Our patient could produce a very wide range of preprogrammed finger movements with remarkable accuracy, involving complex muscle synergies of the hand and forearm muscles. He could perform individual finger movements and outline figures in the air with his eyes closed. He had normal pre- and postmovement EEG potentials, and showed the normal bi/triphasic pattern of muscle activation in agonist and antagonist muscles during fast limb movements. He could also move his thumb accurately through three different distances at three different speeds, and could produce three different levels of force at his thumb pad when required. Although he could not judge the weights of objects placed in his hands without vision, he was able to match forces applied by the experimenter to the pad of each thumb if he was given a minimal
indication of thumb movement.

KM: The first paragraph of this summary seems like a clear refutation of the PCT model. As Rick told us, the authors report that the deafferented man they studied was able to produce many types of coherent movement. But notice the kicker in paragraph two. “[H]is hands were relatively useless to him in daily life” outside the laboratory. And even in the first paragraph, the authors note that “he could not judge the weights of objects placed in his hands without vision …”

My PCT interpretation of this study is that the laboratory tasks assigned to him involved perceptions at the configuration level or above, and that the control-system-units in his brain for accomplishing these tasks get their incoming signals from more than one mode of perceptual feedback, probably visual feedback and proprioceptive feedback about the positions of limbs and digits, as well as his deafferented muscle-effort intensity receptors. Even with one of the modes of feedback gone, he could still control the perceptions involved in the laboratory tasks reasonably well, because feedback from the other perceptual modes could “pinch hit” for the lost information. The authors’ emphasis on the importance of visual feedback seems consistent with this PCT interpretation. The fact of his “inability to sustain constant levels of muscle contraction without visual feedback over periods of more than one or two seconds” also makes it clear that without the
intensity-level feedback from muscles his effort-control systems just weren’t working properly.

I looked at the abstracts of a few of the other highly-cited studies on the topic, but didn’t find anything that seemed to provide any stronger evidence against the PCT model than this study, and my conclusion from this quick survey is that deafferentation studies are not all that big a deal (and in fact might provide some evidence that supports the PCT model). Of course, I’m no expert and I’m biased …

Kent

Rupert Young (2013.08.24.1230)–

this time I’m afraid; have to grade papers;-)

But I’ll try to comment quickly on your post:

Though I can’t say I followed the gamma reference signal section and I don’t

figure 7.3.

corresponds to figure 7.3 and see how it works. I don’t have time for

behaviour.

for example, are higher level sensations say. How do we tell? We don’t

not?

because the are just too small. But that’s a good question. But I

think we don’t have to tense muscles to experience intensity; the

attention only to the “how much” of any perception and ignoring

everything else about it – like whether it’s a color, a sounds, a

tension, etc. It’s kind of an exercise in introspection.

Leading questions:

different muscles, but I can’t say whether the feeling corresponds to amount

perception. Experiencing that perception as “effort” is, I believe, a

perception; the fact that it’s pain rather than some other kind of

1. Yes, the level of the perceptions is high, in terms of amount of perception.

1. Quiet, dim and bland.

No. No.

I don’t understand these answers.

no edges.

Right!

Best

Rick

Regards,

Rupert

Richard S. Marken PhD

rsmarken@gmail.com

www.mindreadings.com

[From Rick Marken (2013.08.27.1110)]

In Rick's study guide for Chapter 7, he discusses "deafferentation" experiments, which he says have been taken as evidence against the PCT model. Here's how he describes these experiments in the study guide:

Thanks for this Kent. As you'll see, I basically copied this post into
the "Summary" of the Intensity Control chapter. And completely agreed
with your analysis.

Best

Rick

···

RM: One of the presumably strong pieces of evidence against the �control of perception� view comes from studies of the behavior of organisms who have been surgically or naturally (due to disease) �deafferented� � that is, who have lost or been deprived their lowest level (intensity) perceptions; who no longer have the ability to perceive the effort resulting from muscle tension. Many studies purport to show that deafferented organisms are nevertheless able to produce coherent behavior. It looks like the nervous systems of these organisms are able to command the muscles to produce intended forces even though the consequences of these forces cannot be perceived.

If the results of the deafferentiation studies show what they purport to show then it would be a significant blow to PCT. So I think it�s worth discussing these studies in the context of these chapters. If anyone has any knowledge about these studies it would be nice if we could start a discussion about this in class (on CSGNet).

Here's the citation and abstract of the article on deafferentation that gets first place in Google Scholar for the number of citations by other scholars, so, although it comes from 1982, I take it to be a foundational study in that line of research:

ï¿½ J. C. ROTHWELL,
        ï¿½ M. M. TRAUB,
        ï¿½ B. L. DAY,
        ï¿½ J. A. OBESO,
        ï¿½ P. K. THOMAS,
        ï¿½ and C. D. MARSDEN

Summary

KM: The first paragraph of this summary seems like a clear refutation of the PCT model. As Rick told us, the authors report that the deafferented man they studied was able to produce many types of coherent movement. But notice the kicker in paragraph two. "[H]is hands were relatively useless to him in daily life" outside the laboratory. And even in the first paragraph, the authors note that "he could not judge the weights of objects placed in his hands without vision ..."

My PCT interpretation of this study is that the laboratory tasks assigned to him involved perceptions at the configuration level or above, and that the control-system-units in his brain for accomplishing these tasks get their incoming signals from more than one mode of perceptual feedback, probably visual feedback and proprioceptive feedback about the positions of limbs and digits, as well as his deafferented muscle-effort intensity receptors. Even with one of the modes of feedback gone, he could still control the perceptions involved in the laboratory tasks reasonably well, because feedback from the other perceptual modes could "pinch hit" for the lost information. The authors' emphasis on the importance of visual feedback seems consistent with this PCT interpretation. The fact of his "inability to sustain constant levels of muscle contraction without visual feedback over periods of more than one or two seconds" also makes it clear that without the intensity-level feedback from muscles his effort-control systems just weren't working properly.

I looked at the abstracts of a few of the other highly-cited studies on the topic, but didn't find anything that seemed to provide any stronger evidence against the PCT model than this study, and my conclusion from this quick survey is that deafferentation studies are not all that big a deal (and in fact might provide some evidence that supports the PCT model). Of course, I'm no expert and I'm biased ...

Kent

figure 7.3.

behaviour.

not?

Leading questions:

3. Quiet, dim and bland.
No. No.

no edges.

Right!

Best

Rick

Regards,
Rupert

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Rick Marken (2013.08.27.1340)]

John Kirkland (20130821) --

JK: The reference to 'direct perception' (p96 para 2) has a possible link to JJ
Gibson. Does this imply no processing at this level?

RM: I didn't see a reference to "direct perception" and the
relationship between PCT and Gibson is kind of spotty. Gibson does
talk a lot about the effect of action on perception and that is
certainly consistent with PCT; but some of the "direct perception"
stuff is not. For example, the concept of "affordance" -- that we can
directly perceive how something is to be used --- is very completely
inconsistent with PCT.

Gibson made a lot of great observations -- so good that I used "Senses
Considered as Perceptual Systems" as the text in a perception course
after I was already well into PCT -- but his theorizing was pretty
weak.

JK: With regard to leading q#4, consider too the auditory illusion of Shepard
scales:
http://www.positscience.com/brain-resources/brain-teasers/never-ending-scales

RM: I don't see what this has to do with Leading question 4 but it is
one of my favorite (and one of the only) auditory illusions. Thanks
for the reference and for reminding me of it.

JK: And leading q#5: other examples of edgeless detectable brightness includes
anything without microstructure as with holes, fog, mist, white-out, cloud.
And for another sensory system like incense or its base, smoke, for
olfaction. Now, if the word 'discriminable' is substituted for 'detectable'
is there any difference in meaning? That is, are these words synonyms? I
suspect not since discriminable is lower order (Eleanor Gibson this time)

RM: Good question. I think detection is appropriate for the intensity
level because an intensity is either there (at some magnitude) or not
(below threshold). Discrimination, even of two different intensities,
implies the ability to perceive a relationship between two perceptions
in order to determine whether they are the same of different.

Best

Rick

···

Kind regards

JohnK

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Rupert Young (2013.08.27 2200 BST)]

RM: I think we can perceive what Bill called intensity perceptions. Your
because the are just too small.

RY: I guess what I am questioning is if we can consciously experience these perceptions in isolation from all the other levels and all the associative perceptions that we have at any moment. If we can then are not the implications that conscious experience can exist in a single, simple layer of neurons? Would we say the same for an organism that only has one such level?

3. Quiet, dim and bland.

RM: I don't understand these answers.

RY: These were from the end of question 2. Some formatting must have got screwed.

RM: I think the point here is that w/o loudness there can be no pitch.So

RY: Now I don't understand, isn't pitch the frequency of sound? Then if a sound can be heard then surely you can detect its picth; e.g. high pitch or low pitch.

Regards,
Rupert

[From Rick Marken (2013.08.28.0930)]

···

Rupert Young (2013.08.27 2200 BST)

RM: I think we can perceive what Bill called intensity perceptions. Your

because the are just too small.

RY: I guess what I am questioning is if we can consciously experience these perceptions in isolation from all the other levels and all the associative perceptions that we have at any moment. If we can then are not the implications that conscious experience can exist in a single, simple layer of neurons? Would we say the same for an organism that only has one such level?

RM: To the extent that PCT deals with consciousness – and there are speculations about it in B:CP – I think it is suggested that consciousness does direct awareness to different perceptual levels; so consciousness is always in flux (moving awareness around to different perceptions) so consciousness can exist in a single neuron and any level of perception, to the extent that that neuron is a perceptual signal. So, yes, I think this is the same for all organisms; being a believer in the fact of evolution, I believe consciousness must have some adaptive significance and that it, therefore, didn’t spring into existence with the emergence of Homo Sapiens. I think it’s there in all organisms; it’s just that the lower organisms can only be conscious at the perceptual levels they have.

RM: I think the point here is that w/o loudness there can be no pitch.So

RY: Now I don’t understand, isn’t pitch the frequency of sound? Then if a sound can be heard then surely you can detect its picth; e.g. high pitch or low pitch.

RM: White noise is a pitchless sound that can have different loudnesses. So that is a perception of loudness sans pitch. But you can’t produce a sounds with a particular pitch without that sounds having a particular loudness. So loudness is required for pitch but pitch is not required for loudness. So pitch is a higher level perception (it’s a sensation) than loudness.

Does that make sense?

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com

www.mindreadings.com

[From Rupert Young (2013.08.28 19.30)]

RM: Does that make sense?

Yes, thanks.

Regards,
Rupert