Clarification of Perceptual Levels

Invitation to take part in study to clarify perceptual levels

Dear members of the IAPCT forum,

I would like to invite you to take part in this study that my student, Lisa Kuijf is undertaking to try to define and operationalise the levels of perceptual control. This study is a collaboration between my colleague Gjalt-Jorn Peters, me and Lisa, who will be writing her masters’ thesis about this project. This study stems from my curiosity and interest in Powers’ levels of control and tries to structure knowledge about these levels according to a method designed by my colleague Gjalt-Jorn. This method stems from a behavioural research tradition that mainly uses the Stimulus-Response framework, which sometimes conflicts with my own (and probably your) approach. We kindly ask you to be gentle about how these paradigm-differences affect the questions (“elicit”, “stimulus”) and try your best to share your knowledge with us.

We are trying to provide a framework to study levels of perceptual control in practice, and therefore we need to define these levels and think of ways to measure or code perceptions on each level.

One of the steps in this study is to ask you, as people with knowledge of Perceptual Control Theory, to provide your feedback and thoughts on several aspects for each of the 11 proposed levels.

1. Definition of the perceptual level. We want to describe the definition as specifically and clearly as possible. A definition should be comprehensive, detailed and accurate (this is the most important and most difficult part)
  2. Instructions to develop measurement tools to measure perception at this level. This is done based on the definition that has been formulated. These instructions can then be used to develop a measurement instrument. (please get creative!)
  3. Recognizing perception at this level in the natural world. How do we elicit perception at this level, so that we can recognise it? How would we recognize this kind of perception?

The questionnaire might take as long as you wish. You can share your feedback on all levels or a few. Some levels are defined poorly and need improvement. Sometimes your view might differ from what is presented. Please share your thoughts and help us move this one step further.

The link you receive over e-mail allows you to return to your survey at a later time. Your answers will be processed anonymously.
We’d be happy to receive your response within two weeks. If you have any questions, please reach out to us.

To participate, please enter your e-mail in the survey >> Levels of Perceptual Control << and you’ll receive a confirmation e-mail that will give you access.

Kind regards,
Lisa Kuijf
Eva de Hullu

1 Like

Dear members of the IAPCT forum,

We would like to kindly ask for your help on this survey. Your feedback and thoughts would greatly help our research and my thesis. Please share your thoughts with us and help us move this one step further.

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,

Lisa Kuijf

1 Like

Dear IAPCT forum members,

We want to sincerely thank those who participated in the study. It clearly turns out to be more complicated than we thought to set out the levels in this way and

If you are still interested in participating in this survey, we kindly ask you to do so today or tomorrow. We are happy to still receive your response.

Thank you once again. Once the study is completed and approved, the report will be posted on the forum.

Kind regards,

Lisa Kuijf

Dear PCT forum members,

As we posted earlier, the study has been proven to be complex matter. As follow-up for the study, we want invite you to give us an idea of the process you went through. Whether you did or did not participate in the study, could you tell us about what made you consider participating, or not participating? And, if applicable to you, what made you refrain from completing the list completely? Feel free to share your thoughts with us at perception@ou.nl or below. Every piece of feedback you can give helps us in completing the study.

Thanks in advance for your honest feedback and have a nice day!

Kind regards,

Lisa Kuijf

I am sorry not to have been able to help. I could not take the time from prior commitments, of which I already have too many.

1 Like