Access to Archives at Northwestern Aug 3 & 4

AP: Hello Everyone,

I have just returned from a quick trip to NU to confirm arrangements for our meeting on August 4 - 5 and to do a test for our video conference which is scheduled for August 5 from 1:00 - 4:00 Central Standard Time. All went well. We have the capability of connecting you in by computer or phone.

If you would like to have input and vote on organizational matters and brainstorming for the future of CSG, please send in your membership or a letter of intent to do so to our treasurer, Rick Marken. There have been previous emails about how to send in payments. We hope you will decide to join in since we would like to have as much input as possible. If you need financial assistance with membership, please be sure to let me know.

Another item on our agenda is discussing spending some of the funds in the CSG account which have been accumulating over all of these years on a new website. If you have been sending in your membership all this time, you may as well do it one more time and have a say in deciding where we are going as an organization and what things we would like to focus on.

When I was at Northwestern on Friday, 7/21/17, I met with Kevin Leonard, the University Archivist, and was updated on what was needed from the family in order to make the William T Powers collection open to the public.

The last item that needs to be finished are any possible corrections or additions to his biography which is found at the beginning of the Finding Aid. Below is a link to a Google Doc of that biography. We ask anyone interested to read it and add their own suggested edits. It is set up so you can just go ahead and type in your edit and it will be saved automatically.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y_KVvCQK4vKd0oUa_E8ebfTBpiGF3fLQ9PTzRp2PDJk/edit?usp=sharing

When I spoke with Kevin Leonard, we decided to go ahead and pull the whole collection for viewing. He also asked if we would like it available a little earlier on August 3rd. I agreed that we might as well have it out for a full day on Thursday prior to our meeting instead of just two hours the morning of the meeting on Friday.

I am also attaching the full draft of the Finding Aid for the William T Powers Collection so you can see the list. Please note that the archivists decided to go to the trouble of cross referencing names of other individual’s works that are also contained in this collection for search purposes. So, by default, a number of you have your work archived at Northwestern as well. This makes this truly a great collection of work surrounding the development of Perceptual Control Theory. In other words, the “glory” doesn
9;t just go to Dad. If you were in on this whole effort, that will be known. That is what Dad would have wanted.

Thanks to Richard Pfau for stepping up since we also will be presenting his talk during the lunch break of our meeting on Friday August 4th. We are doing our best to spread the word on campus. I dropped off most of my flyers in the Psychology Department but I also got some to other random Life Sciences departments before I couldn’t walk anymore because that campus is huge! I will begin sending the announcement electronically this week and will also work on getting it into the campus calendars. I have attached that flyer as well.

If any of you change your mind and decide you would like to come after all, please do. Just let me know so we can plan to have enough food for lunch.

Sincerely,

Allie Powers

P.S. Please, by all means, forward this along to anyone who may not be ke
eping an eye on CSGnet who might be interested.

William T. Powers Finding Aid(1).docx (161 KB)

Pfau Talk Flyer 7-17 Final.docx (15 KB)

Hi Bruce - Would you please add that in? I will enter all suggested edits once I feel everyone has had a chance to look at it.

Thanks,

Allie

···

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 3:31 PM, Bruce Nevin bnhpct@gmail.com wrote:

Can we put a year on when “CSG was born” (bottom of p. 1)?

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 7:08 PM, Alison Powers controlsystemsgroupconference@gmail.com wrote:

I have just returned from a quick trip to NU to confirm arrangements for our meeting on August 4 - 5 and to do a test for our video conference which is scheduled for August 5 from 1:00 - 4:00 Central Standard Time. All went well. We have the capability of connecting you in by computer or phone.

If you would like to have input and vote on organizational matters and brainstorming for the future of CSG, please send in your membership or a letter of intent to do s
o to our treasurer, Rick Marken. There have been previous emails about how to send in payments. We hope you will decide to join in since we would like to have as much input as possible. If you need financial assistance with membership, please be sure to let me know.

Another item on our agenda is discussing spending some of the funds in the CSG account which have been accumulating over all of these years on a new website. If you have been sending in your membership all this time, you may as well do it one more time and have a say in deciding where we are going as an organization and what things we would like to focus on.

When I was at Northwestern on Friday, 7/21/17, I met with Kevin Leonard, the University Archivist, and was updated on what was needed from the family in order to make the William T Powers collection open to the public.

The last item that needs to be finished are any possible corrections or additions to his biography which is found at the beginning of the Finding Aid. Below is a link to a Google Doc of that biography. We ask anyone interested to read it and add their own suggested edits. It is set up so you can just go ahead and type in your edit and it will be saved automatically.

https://docs.google.com/
document/d/1y_KVvCQK4vKd0oUa_E8ebfTBpiGF3fLQ9PTzRp2PDJk/edit?usp=sharing

When I spoke with Kevin Leonard, we decided to go ahead and pull the whole collection for viewing. He also asked if we would like it available a little earlier on August 3rd. I agreed that we might as well have it out for a full day on Thursday prior to our meeting instead of just two hours the morning of the meeting on Friday.

I am also attaching the full draft of the Finding Aid for the William T Powers Collection so you can see the list. Please note that the archivists decided to go to the trouble of cross referencing names of other individual’s works that are also contained in this collection for search purposes. So, by default, a number of you have your work archived at Northwestern as well. This makes this truly a great collection of work surrounding the development of Perceptual Control Theory. In other words, the “glory”
d
oesn&#3
9;t just go to Dad. If you were in on this whole effort, that will be known. That is what Dad would have wanted.

Thanks to Richard Pfau for stepping up since we also will be presenting his talk during the lunch break of our meeting on Friday August 4th. We are doing our best to spread the word on campus. I dropped off most of my flyers in the Psychology Department but I also got some to other random Life Sciences departments before I couldn’t walk anymore because that campus is huge! I will begin sending the announcement electronically this week and will also work on getting it into the campus calendars. I have attached that flyer as well.

If any of you change your mind and decide you would like to come after all, please do. Just let me know so we can plan to have enough food for lunch.

Sincerely,

Allie Powers

P.S. Please, by all means, forward this along to an
yone who may not be ke

Thanks, Mike. Please log onto the document through the link and add your suggestions. I will be going over the document tomorrow and again this coming weekend and integrate the suggestions as final edits.

The archivists did their best to put this bio together considering how new this information was to them.Â

···

On Jul 24, 2017 8:48 PM, “Michael Acree” epianarch@gmail.com wrote:

[From Mike Acree (2017.07.24.1941 PDT)]

Â

Thanks very much for making this document available,
Allie. A quick scan suggests that there are a fair number of typos.Â
(a) Box 3, Folder 4, should be “A Bucket of Beans� rather than “A Bucket of
Bears.� (What’s more fun than a barrel of monkeys?) (b) Box 18,
Folders 4-6, “Micheal� should be “Michael,� and “Statistical Interference�
should be “Statistical Inference.�

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Alison Powers controlsystemsgroupconference@gmail.com wrote:

If you would like to have input and vote on organizational matters and brainstorming for the future of CSG, please send in your membership or a letter of intent to do so to our treasurer, Rick Marken. There have been previous emails about how to send in payments. We hope you will decide to join in since we would like to have as much input as possible. If you need financial assistance with membership, please be sure to let me know.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y_KVvCQK4vKd0oUa_E8ebfTBpiGF3fLQ9PTzRp2PDJk/edit?usp=sharing

I am also attaching the full draft of the Finding Aid for the William T Powers Collection so you can see the list. Please note that the archivists decided to go to the trouble of cross referencing names of other individual’s works that are also contained in this collection for search purposes. So, by default, a number of you have your work archived at Northwestern as well. This makes this truly a great collection of work surrounding the development of Perceptual Control Theory. In other words, the “glory” doesn&#3

Sincerely,

Allie Powers

Hi Mike,Â

I liked your description of yourself :slight_smile: but it have a feeling you could easily reach homeotherm status with this document. I am not sure why you can’t see it in “suggestion” mode except that if you are working on your phone you may need to install the Google Docs app. When you open it, Â it should already be in suggestion mode which would be indicated in the scroll down bar in the upper left (it says editing, suggesting, viewing). You will know since after you make a correction you would see your name on a box next to the document giving you credit for it.Â

I will integrate your corrections since I understand how it can be trying to get something to work which isn’t familiar to you.Â

As far as the meeting, we are no longer having a conference but an organizational meeting instead. A small core group will go to Northwestern to conduct a video conference on August 5th from 1:00 - 4:00 pm (CST) and will send the link to paid members so that they may take part in the decision making process (voting in new officers, changes to the bylaws and establishing the current focus of CSG). If you would like to link in by computer or phone please be sure to update your membership with Rick Marken.

Thanks for your interest!Â

Allie

···

On Jul 24, 2017 9:42 PM, “Michael Acree” epianarch@gmail.com wrote:

[From Mike Acree (2017.07.24.2039 PDT)]

Sorry, Allie, to be so technologically poikilothermic, but I have no idea what I’m doing. The link doesn’t take me to the document I wanted to edit; I didn’t see anything like a Track Changes facility, or any way to save my work. So I’d better leave it alone.

Sorry again, too, that I will miss the conference, having been committed since November to the Ohio Light Opera that same week.

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Alison Powers controlsystemsgroupconference@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks, Mike. Please log onto the document through the link and add your suggestions. I will be going over the document tomorrow and again this coming weekend and integrate the suggestions as final edits.

The archivists did their best to put this bio together considering how new this information was to them.Â

Â

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Alison Powers controlsystemsgroupconference@gmail.com wrote:

I am also attaching the full draft of the Finding Aid for the William T Powers Collection so you can see the list. Please note that the archivists decided to go to the trouble of cross referencing names of other individual’s works that are also contained in this collection for search purposes. So, by default, a number of you have your work archived at Northwestern as well. This makes this truly a great collection of work surrounding the development of Perceptual Control Theory. In other words, the “glory” doesn&#3

Sincerely,

Allie Powers

Dear Frans,

So good to hear from you. I will make the correction to your name.

Since you have indicated an attempt to pay we will include you in the meeting. In the meantime we will try to resolve the problem of receiving dues from overseas.

Does this mean you would like to link into the meeting? It will be a bit late for you but at least it’s a Saturday night.

Allie

···

On Jul 25, 2017 3:17 AM, “Frans Plooij” fplooij@kiddygroup.com wrote:

Dear Alison,

thank you very much for your email. I had a look at the finding aid and noticed that my name is misspelled: it should read Plooij instead of Plooji

Is it possible for you to ask Kevin Leonard, the University Archivist, to correct that?

By the way, I tried to pay my membership dues, but failed and Richard Marken’s suggestions how to do it did not work out. So, I am at a loss here.

Warm regards,

Frans

Dr. Frans X. Plooij
Director
International Research-institute on Infant Studies (IRIS)
Zijpendaalseweg 73
6814 CE Arnhem
The Netherlands
Mobile: +31 6 460 888 20
Email: fplooij@kiddygroup.com
Tel.: +31 26 389 4841
Fax: +31 26 389 4493

Op 24 jul. 2017, om 01:08 heeft Alison Powers controlsystemsgroupconference@gmail.com het volgende geschreven:

I am also attaching the full draft of the Finding Aid for the William T Powers Collection so you can see the list. Please note that the archivists decided to go to the trouble of cross referencing names of other individual’s works that are also contained in this collection for search purposes. So, by default, a number of you have your work archived at Northwestern as well. This makes this truly a great collection of work surrounding the development of Perceptual Control Theory. In other words, the “glory” doesn 9;t just go to Dad. If you were in on this whole effort, that will be known. That is what Dad would have wanted.

Sincerely,

Allie Powers

<William T. Powers Finding Aid(1).docx><Pfau Talk Flyer 7-17 Final.docx>

If you wish to vote you may ask someone to vote for you. Please ask Lloyd Klinedinst about this.

···

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 7:55 AM, Frans Plooij fplooij@kiddygroup.com wrote:

Dear Alison,

normally that would be possible, but at that very night I have my family over to celebrate my birthday. Bad luck for me.

Warm regards, Frans

Dr. Frans X. Plooij
Director
Zijpendaalseweg 73
6814 CE Arnhem
The Netherlands

Op 25 jul. 2017, om 15:10 heeft Alison Powers controlsystemsgroupconference@gmail.com het volgende geschreven:

Dear Frans,

So good to hear from you. I will make the correction to your name.

Since you have indicated an attempt to pay we will include you in the meeting. In the meantime we will try to resolve the problem of receiving dues from overseas.

Does this mean you would like to link into the meeting? It will be a bit late for you but at least it’s a Saturday night.

Allie

Dear Alison,

thank you very much for your email. I had a look at the finding aid and noticed that my name is misspelled: it should read Plooij instead of Plooji

Is it possible for you to ask Kevin Leonard, the University Archivist, to correct that?

By the way, I tried to pay my membership dues, but failed and Richard Marken’s suggestions how to do it did not work out. So, I am at a loss here.

Warm regards,

Frans

Dr. Frans X. Plooij
Director
Zijpendaalseweg 73
6814 CE Arnhem
The Netherlands

Op 24 jul. 2017, om 01:08 heeft Alison Powers controlsystemsgroupconference@gmail.com het volgende geschreven:

I am also attaching the full draft of the Finding Aid for the William T Powers Collection so you can see the list. Please note that the archivists decided to go to the trouble of cross referencing names of other individual’s works that are also contained in this collection for search purposes. So, by default, a number of you have your work archived at Northwestern as well. This makes this truly a great collection of work surrounding the development of Perceptual Control Theory. In other words, the “glory” doesn 9;t just go to Dad. If you were in on this whole effort, that will be known. That is what Dad would have wanted.

Sincerely,

Allie Powers

Can we put a year on when “CSG was born” (bottom of p. 1)?

···

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 7:08 PM, Alison Powers controlsystemsgroupconference@gmail.com wrote:

If you would like to have input and vote on organizational matters and brainstorming for the future of CSG, please send in your membership or a letter of intent to do s
o to our treasurer, Rick Marken. There have been previous emails about how to send in payments. We hope you will decide to join in since we would like to have as much input as possible. If you need financial assistance with membership, please be sure to let me know.

https://docs.google.com/
document/d/1y_KVvCQK4vKd0oUa_E8ebfTBpiGF3fLQ9PTzRp2PDJk/edit?usp=sharing

I am also attaching the full draft of the Finding Aid for the William T Powers Collection so you can see the list. Please note that the archivists decided to go to the trouble of cross referencing names of other individual’s works that are also contained in this collection for search purposes. So, by default, a number of you have your work archived at Northwestern as well. This makes this truly a great collection of work surrounding the development of Perceptual Control Theory. In other words, the “glory” d
oesn&#3

Sincerely,

Allie Powers

Dear Alison,

Warm regards,

Frans

···

Dr. Frans X. Plooij
Director
Zijpendaalseweg 73
6814 CE Arnhem
The Netherlands

I am also attaching the full draft of the Finding Aid for the William T Powers Collection so you can see the list. Please note that the archivists decided to go to the trouble of cross referencing names of other individual’s works that are also contained in this collection for search purposes. So, by default, a number of you have your work archived at Northwestern as well. This makes this truly a great collection of work surrounding the development of Perceptual Control Theory. In other words, the “glory” doesn

Sincerely,

Allie Powers

Dear Alison,

normally that would be possible, but at that very night I have my family over to celebrate my birthday. Bad luck for me.

Warm regards, Frans

···

Dear Alison,

Warm regards,

Frans

Dr. Frans X. Plooij
Director
Zijpendaalseweg 73
6814 CE Arnhem
The Netherlands

Sincerely,

Allie Powers

Â

(a) Box 3, Folder 4, should be “A Bucket of Beansâ€? rather than “A Bucket of
Bears.â€? (What’s more fun than a barrel of monkeys?) (b) Box 18,
Folders 4-6, “Michealâ€? should be “Michael,â€? and “Statistical Interferenceâ€?
should be “Statistical Inference.â€?

···

Sincerely,

Allie Powers

[From Mike Acree (2017.07.24.2039 PDT)]

Sorry, Allie, to be so technologically poikilothermic, but I have no idea what I’m doing. The link doesn’t take me to the document I wanted to edit; I didn’t see anything like a Track Changes facility, or any way to save my work. So I’d better leave it alone.

Sorry again, too, that I will miss the conference, having been committed since November to the Ohio Light Opera that same week.

···

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Alison Powers controlsystemsgroupconference@gmail.com wrote:

Â

Sincerely,

Allie Powers