world model

···

[From Rick Marken (2015.09.03.1610)]

philip (9.2.15)

music starts playing

And we’re back from commerical break! Let’s start with a talk about B:CP. I’ve been hearing a lot lately about the difference between control of perception and imagination. This is a great topic. Take a look at Figure 15.3 on page 221 (powers, 1973). Observe carefully where it says “imagination connection shown”.

On page 210, Powers says, “There are no lower-order sources of memory for first-order systems to perceive; hence the lowest level of memory content should be sensations.” Well, I don’t think there’s proper grounds not to allow this memory signal above to be perceived by a first order system. So let’s allow it. After all, we want to allow the model to build computers, and the diagram above is what a computer looks like! So where does this leave us?
In a nutshell, “control of imagination” means this:

We have a system in control mode above a system in imagination mode, and the controlled quantity is a memory signal. 

RM: So you imagine that it’s the environment that does the imagining? What evidence is there that environments do that? Can you describe how you would test this model?

RM: Unless a model can be tested (and rejected if it fails the test) it is of no interest to me. So while you have presented some lovely models here (how do you make those nice diagrams?) they would be of more interest to me if you present the evidence on which they are based and/or the means you would use to test them.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com
Author of Doing Research on Purpose.
Now available from Amazon or Barnes & Noble

[philip 9.3.2015]

RM: So you imagine that it’s the environment that does the imagining? What evidence is there that environments do that?

PY: Can’t you see I’m imagining here!

Here we discuss some intricacies of Bill’s hPCT model. With two switches between each level, there are 4 possible modes: control mode, passive observation mode, automatic mode, and imagination mode. Depicted here is the “control of imagination” situation, where a system in control mode is placed above a system in imagination mode. This situation is interesting both switches are represented in both states.

Inline image 2

The system in imagination mode does not have a comparison process, but it has a storage and retrieval device.  The system *is* the environmental feedback path between an address signal and a memory signal.  But it also could *contain*

such a feedback path. Consider the stored-program concept - the value stored at and retrieved from a particular memory address is a “pointer” or “reference” to another memory address. This simply means that the signal retrieved from memory is of the same nature as the address signal.

The concept of “control of imagination” is so bloody interesting because its actually the central dogma.

Inline image 3

RM: Unless a model can be tested (and rejected if it fails the test) it is of no interest to me. So while you have presented some lovely models here (how do you make those nice diagrams?) they would be of more
interest to me if you present the evidence on which they are based and/or the means you would use to test them.

PY: There is evidence that cells are controlling the levels of the various proteins they express. Here is an
organization which would be capable of such a phenomenon. Would you agree?

···

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 4:12 PM, Richard Marken csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

philip (9.2.15)

music starts playing

And we’re back from commerical break! Let’s start with a talk about B:CP. I’ve been hearing a lot lately about the difference between control of perception and imagination. This is a great topic. Take a look at Figure 15.3 on page 221 (powers, 1973). Observe carefully where it says “imagination connection shown”.

On page 210, Powers says, “There are no lower-order sources of memory for first-order systems to perceive; hence the lowest level of memory content should be sensations.” Well, I don’t think there’s proper grounds not to allow this memory signal above to be perceived by a first order system. So let’s allow it. After all, we want to allow the model to build computers, and the diagram above is what a computer looks like! So where does this leave us?

We have a system in control mode above a system in imagination mode, and the controlled quantity is a memory signal. 

RM: So you imagine that it’s the environment that does the imagining? What evidence is there that environments do that? Can you describe how you would test this model?

RM: Unless a model can be tested (and rejected if it fails the test) it is of no interest to me. So while you have presented some lovely models here (how do you make those nice diagrams?) they would be of more interest to me if you present the evidence on which they are based and/or the means you would use to test them.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

These images don’t seem to have made it on the last post.

inline image 2

inline image 3

···

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 9:32 PM, PHILIP JERAIR YERANOSIAN pyeranos@ucla.edu wrote:

[philip 9.3.2015]

RM: So you imagine that it’s the environment that does the imagining? What evidence is there that environments do that?

Here we discuss some intricacies of Bill’s hPCT model. With two switches between each level, there are 4 possible modes: control mode, passive observation mode, automatic mode, and imagination mode. Depicted here is the “control of imagination” situation, where a system in control mode is placed above a system in imagination mode. This situation is interesting both switches are represented in both states.

Inline image 2
The system in imagination mode does not have a comparison process, but it has a storage and retrieval device. The system is the environmental feedback path between an address signal and a memory signal. But it also could contain
such a feedback path. Consider the stored-program concept - the value stored at and retrieved from a particular memory address is a “pointer” or “reference” to another memory address. This simply means that the signal retrieved from memory is of the same nature as the address signal.

The concept of “control of imagination” is so bloody interesting because its actually the central dogma.

Inline image 3

RM: Unless a model can be tested (and rejected if it fails the test) it is of no interest to me. So while you have presented some lovely models here (how do you make those nice diagrams?) they would be of more
interest to me if you present the evidence on which they are based and/or the means you would use to test them.

PY: There is evidence that cells are controlling the levels of the various proteins they express. Here is an

philip (9.2.15)

music starts playing

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

[From Rick Marken (2015.09.04.0845)]

···

[philip 9.3.2015]

RM: Of course. Modeling (theorizing) is imagination in action. But I like my modeling to be disciplined by observation and test. In order to discipline one’s imaginings in this way the models that are the products of imagination have to be clearly linked to observable variables. In PCT, the input, q.i, output, q.o, and disturbance (d) variables are clearly linked to observable variables; in a tracking task, for example, q.i is the distance between cursor and target, q.o is mouse position and d is a computer generated number that affects the displayed values of q.i. Because q.i, q.o and d can be observed it is possible to test the model by observing whether variations in the observable variables correspond to the variations in these variables that are produced by the model.

RM: So, for me, it’s been hard to follow your tutorials because I don’t see how your imaginations (models) map to the phenomena that I presume they aim to explain. But, nevertheless, I am impressed by the quality of those imaginations. I just wish you would make clear how those imaginations map to observable variables, the way Powers does throughout B:CP.

Best

Rick

Inline image 2
The system in imagination mode does not have a comparison process, but it has a storage and retrieval device. The system is the environmental feedback path between an address signal and a memory signal. But it also could contain

Inline image 3

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

philip (9.2.15)

music starts playing

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

[philip 9.4.2015]

Rick, be honest, are you reading ALL of my post? I bet you are :wink: I wonder who else is reading…well, this is a good post so plase read it carefjlly. Also please review my post about lock-picking (posted on sept. 2).

Quick question,
Which one of these do you think is the case?

RM: So, for me, it’s been hard to follow your tutorials because I don’t see how your imaginations (models) map to the phenomena that I presume they aim to explain.

PY: My imaginations map to what I’m controlling for (something about the diagram). You apply disturbances to our q.i (the diagram) to test what I am controlling for. If the diagrams are incomprehensible to you, you must make your own diagrams. And you have. However, neither your’s nor Powers’s diagrams explain the phenomenon of control in purely biochemical, genetic, and epigenetic terms.

RM: I just wish you would make clear how those imaginations map to observable variables, the way Powers does throughout B:CP.

In Chapter 15, Bill talks about the RNA model of memory. I too am proposing the RNA model of memory. But Bill refers to a purely neuronal model, which presumably has nothing to do with the phenomenon of genetic organization. Additionally, I found the concept of an RNA backbone being mutated to be preposterous, because the protein would have a terrible, irregular shape. Nothing would recognize it. In my mind, RNA is to be assembled modularly (i.e. as modular elements with diverse junctions) - exactly like antibodies - to form target-specific oligonucleotides, or aptamers. However, instead of playing the role of the receptor, they are acting as ligand (think of the RNA as a macromolecular drug which can be combined with ribozymes to self-cleave in the presence of their target molecule).
THE ENZYME IS THE KEY WHICH OPENS THE LOCK OF THE SUBSTRATE - EMIL FISCHER.

Well, back to the basics. We’re going to do a PCT blueprint-reading exercise. All you have to notice is that there’s no disturbance in this diagram. Mind you, this is a straightforward adaptation of Bill’s Figure-14.3.

The environmental feedback path between the output and input functions is closed through the imaginary connection. And any imaginary disturbance would have to act between the retrieval and storage of information. Mind you, this represents the “control of imagination” paradigm, which is the simplest control structure.
A note on method: In order to close the loop of any PCT diagram, you must have a control sytem on top (closing the path from left to right) and an environmental feedback path on bottom (closing the path from right to left). The path on the control system side could go through all the higher systems, but it’s always closed through immediate storage of perception in memory.

Now, I don’t think Bill ever mentioned anything about the disturbance acting through the imagination mode. But now that we have established the fact that no disturbance is acting in this model, let’s take another look.

I have made several modifications, the most important of which is to label the vertical memory switch as DNA transcription. What we see in the diagram, combined with the quote from Emil Fischer, suggests that the RNA is acting both as a key-like device (enzyme) and a lock-like device (substrate). This would naturally make modular assembly appropriate. Moreover, we would expect a promoter to act on a gene modularly (think operons).
At the end of the day, the diagram represents the controlled variable as an RNA signal which simultaneously acts either as a ribozyme or codes for (translation) a promoter protein for a gene which codes for (transcription) a ribozyme transcript which targets the RNA substrate. Disturbances to this RNA do not exist in the model, due to the nature of the environmental feedback path.

Look, we need to be frank. You’re talking about the cursor tracking demo and I’m talking about the central dogma of biology. You can believe me when I say, “standing by my own opinion” is not the variable I am controlling for. I’m controlling for giving you what you want by varying my opinion as necessary. I’m trying to detect a link between what you think everything is all about and what I think of the same. It’s obvious that you’re asking me to make the central dogma look exactly like the cursor tracking experiment, and I am trying to do that. But Richard Marken, do you understand why the data you are asking me for cannot exist? It’s not because the life-sciences are centered around an incorect paradigm which doesn’t look for disturbances to a controlled variable. It’s simply because you’re looking for a computer generated output to disturb a computer generated quantity, but we haven’t even built the computer yet. And you don’t build a computer by looking at data - that’s the tinkering phase. No, you start by drawing and understanding the schematic - the design phase. The schematic is Figure-15.3. So it’s obvious that the variable I am controlling for is making sure the building looks like what the blueprints look like - with every feature accounted for. Only after we do the “nasty” hardware engineering do we get to do the “cute” software stuff that everybody likes - with data and all.

···

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 8:44 AM, Richard Marken csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

[philip 9.3.2015]

RM: Of course. Modeling (theorizing) is imagination in action. But I like my modeling to be disciplined by observation and test. In order to discipline one’s imaginings in this way the models that are the products of imagination have to be clearly linked to observable variables. In PCT, the input, q.i, output, q.o, and disturbance (d) variables are clearly linked to observable variables; in a tracking task, for example, q.i is the distance between cursor and target, q.o is mouse position and d is a computer generated number that affects the displayed values of q.i. Because q.i, q.o and d can be observed it is possible to test the model by observing whether variations in the observable variables correspond to the variations in these variables that are produced by the model.

RM: So, for me, it’s been hard to follow your tutorials because I don’t see how your imaginations (models) map to the phenomena that I presume they aim to explain. But, nevertheless, I am impressed by the quality of those imaginations. I just wish you would make clear how those imaginations map to observable variables, the way Powers does throughout B:CP.

Best

Rick

Inline image 2

Inline image 3

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

philip (9.2.15)

music starts playing

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

[philip 9.6.2015]

This post is about computer programming. First, we’re going to talk about memory.

Below is a diagram of a memory bit.

If the “normally open loop key” is pushed down, the electromagnet will charge and pull this key down indefinitely - storing a value of 1 in the
loop. If the “normally closed clear key” is pushed down, the electomagnet will lose its charge and the normally open loop key will return to its upward position - making the value in the loop 0.

Here is a diagram of loop-to-loop data transfer.

If the connecting key is pressed, whatever value is in loop A will be copied into loop B. Let’s refer to “loop A” as “memory address A” and “loop B” as “memory address B.”

Now we’ll talk about programming.

BP: An address and the contents of the location addressed, taken together, form an associative pair. A programmer may ask himself, “Let’s see; where did I store the value of Pi? Oh, yes, in location 10.” Later on, he may ask himself, “What is in location 10? Oh, yes, the value of Pi.”

PY: What Bill is saying is that if a value is stored in memory location A, then the value retrieved from memory location A must equal the value you stored there. There must be no disturbance between the storage and retrieval of the value at location A. Of course, the value stored at location A may a reference or a pointer to another location in memory, in which case we are making sure the same location is being referenced after storage and retrieval.

Now, a programmer wouldn’t create a variable named “location_10” and then store the value of Pi in there; (s)he would create a variable named “Pi” and store the value of Pi in there. But that’s besides the main point. The main point is that a programmer only wants to refer to variables which only (s)he has control over.
When a variable name is declared in a program, a location in memory is reserved for that variable (by the operating system). So in the program, Pi may be stored at “location 10” at some point. However, it might be moved to some other location by the operating system, say location 20. But in the program, the variable name “Pi” still refers to the same value, 3.14, even though the actual memory location at which it is stored is different. So in the program, what matters is the name of the variable, not the virtual location at which it is stored. This sort of ignorance is a privilege.

We’ll end this post with a short example. As Bill would say: this is programming language, not algebra:

x = 3 // store the value of 3 in x

y = 4 // store the value of 4 in y

// now I want to swap the values of x and y, so I type

x = y // store the value of y in x (this command disturbs the memory of the value 3 in x)

y = x // store the value of x in y (the value of x here is disturbed)

If we print the values of x and y, we see x = 4 and y = 4 (not a successful swap)

To properly execute the swap, we need a dummy variable:

x=3

y=4

w=x // w is a dummy variable

x=y

y=w

The lesson is this: in programming, the programmer both controls to and disturbs the variables; everything is the programmers’ fault. But programming is the control of perception. We are controlling for seeing the value retrieved from a particular location in memory to be the same as the value we stored there. In the example above, after executing,

x = 3

y = 4

x = y

y = x,

we would print out the values of x and y and check if they are swapped. Complicated debugging tools have been developed for the purpose of allowing the programmer to print values from memory and make sure they match reference values.

In subsequent posts, we will discuss the Von Neumann Machine. Notice, communication betweeing memory and processing consists of two registers.

image242.png

···

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 1:46 PM, PHILIP JERAIR YERANOSIAN pyeranos@ucla.edu wrote:

[philip 9.4.2015]

Rick, be honest, are you reading ALL of my post? I bet you are :wink: I wonder who else is reading…well, this is a good post so plase read it carefjlly. Also please review my post about lock-picking (posted on sept. 2).

Quick question,

RM: So, for me, it’s been hard to follow your tutorials because I don’t see how your imaginations (models) map to the phenomena that I presume they aim to explain.

PY: My imaginations map to what I’m controlling for (something about the diagram). You apply disturbances to our q.i (the diagram) to test what I am controlling for. If the diagrams are incomprehensible to you, you must make your own diagrams. And you have. However, neither your’s nor Powers’s diagrams explain the phenomenon of control in purely biochemical, genetic, and epigenetic terms.

RM: I just wish you would make clear how those imaginations map to observable variables, the way Powers does throughout B:CP.

In Chapter 15, Bill talks about the RNA model of memory. I too am proposing the RNA model of memory. But Bill refers to a purely neuronal model, which presumably has nothing to do with the phenomenon of genetic organization. Additionally, I found the concept of an RNA backbone being mutated to be preposterous, because the protein would have a terrible, irregular shape. Nothing would recognize it. In my mind, RNA is to be assembled modularly (i.e. as modular elements with diverse junctions) - exactly like antibodies - to form target-specific oligonucleotides, or aptamers. However, instead of playing the role of the receptor, they are acting as ligand (think of the RNA as a macromolecular drug which can be combined with ribozymes to self-cleave in the presence of their target molecule).

Well, back to the basics. We’re going to do a PCT blueprint-reading exercise. All you have to notice is that there’s no disturbance in this diagram. Mind you, this is a straightforward adaptation of Bill’s Figure-14.3.

The environmental feedback path between the output and input functions is closed through the imaginary connection. And any imaginary disturbance would have to act between the retrieval and storage of information. Mind you, this represents the “control of imagination” paradigm, which is the simplest control structure.
A note on method: In order to close the loop of any PCT diagram, you must have a control sytem on top (closing the path from left to right) and an environmental feedback path on bottom (closing the path from right to left). The path on the control system side could go through all the higher systems, but it’s always closed through immediate storage of perception in memory.

Now, I don’t think Bill ever mentioned anything about the disturbance acting through the imagination mode. But now that we have established the fact that no disturbance is acting in this model, let’s take another look.

I have made several modifications, the most important of which is to label the vertical memory switch as DNA transcription. What we see in the diagram, combined with the quote from Emil Fischer, suggests that the RNA is acting both as a key-like device (enzyme) and a lock-like device (substrate). This would naturally make modular assembly appropriate. Moreover, we would expect a promoter to act on a gene modularly (think operons).
At the end of the day, the diagram represents the controlled variable as an RNA signal which simultaneously acts either as a ribozyme or codes for (translation) a promoter protein for a gene which codes for (transcription) a ribozyme transcript which targets the RNA substrate. Disturbances to this RNA do not exist in the model, due to the nature of the environmental feedback path.

Look, we need to be frank. You’re talking about the cursor tracking demo and I’m talking about the central dogma of biology. You can believe me when I say, “standing by my own opinion” is not the variable I am controlling for. I’m controlling for giving you what you want by varying my opinion as necessary. I’m trying to detect a link between what you think everything is all about and what I think of the same. It’s obvious that you’re asking me to make the central dogma look exactly like the cursor tracking experiment, and I am trying to do that. But Richard Marken, do you understand why the data you are asking me for cannot exist? It’s not because the life-sciences are centered around an incorect paradigm which doesn’t look for disturbances to a controlled variable. It’s simply because you’re looking for a computer generated output to disturb a computer generated quantity, but we haven’t even built the computer yet. And you don’t build a computer by looking at data - that’s the tinkering phase. No, you start by drawing and understanding the schematic - the design phase. The schematic is Figure-15.3. So it’s obvious that the variable I am controlling for is making sure the building looks like what the blueprints look like - with every feature accounted for. Only after we do the “nasty” hardware engineering do we get to do the “cute” software stuff that everybody likes - with data and all.

[philip 9.3.2015]

Best

Rick

Inline image 2

Inline image 3

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

philip (9.2.15)

music starts playing

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

[philip 9.7.15]

In this short post we return to genetics. And as a rule, we must study prokaryotic mechanisms before eukaryotic ones. We have repeatedly mentioned the “control of imagination” paradigm; but I insist there is reason to believe that control of imagination would only be present in species which are capable of design, which I would relate to eukaryotic multicellular developmental biology. For instance, prokaryotes aren’t capable of forming differentiated multi-cellular structures (slime molds don’t differentiate), so they wouldn’t be engaged in “design”.
The major theme in the prokaryotic world is the operon. I searched the entire PCT book of readings for the word “operon”, and I’m not surprised that I can’t find a single mention of it. How could it not even be mentioned once? To me, these are tell-tale reasons why PCT doesn’t show up on the world’s radar.
Let’s start with the lac operon:

A regulatory gene codes for a repressor which binds to the operator of the lac operon. Lactose inactivates this repressor, allowing RNA polymerase to bind to the promoter and transcribe genes involved in lactose metabolism. This has been described as a lock and key mechanism.

The metabolism of lactose consumes the substrate and the repressor once again binds to the operator, turning the gene off (reference state). The lac operon is an example where transcription is normally off (inducible operon). An example of a repressible operon is the trp operon:

Transcription of the genes required to synthesize tryptophan is normally on. The regulatory gene codes for a repressor, which binds to tryptophan as a corepressor, causing it to bind to the operator, turning transcription off.

Any comments? questions? true stories of adventure?

image242.png

···

On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 11:17 AM, PHILIP JERAIR YERANOSIAN pyeranos@ucla.edu wrote:

[philip 9.6.2015]

This post is about computer programming. First, we’re going to talk about memory.

Below is a diagram of a memory bit.

If the “normally open loop key” is pushed down, the electromagnet will charge and pull this key down indefinitely - storing a value of 1 in the
loop. If the “normally closed clear key” is pushed down, the electomagnet will lose its charge and the normally open loop key will return to its upward position - making the value in the loop 0.

Here is a diagram of loop-to-loop data transfer.

If the connecting key is pressed, whatever value is in loop A will be copied into loop B. Let’s refer to “loop A” as “memory address A” and “loop B” as “memory address B.”

Now we’ll talk about programming.

BP: An address and the contents of the location addressed, taken together, form an associative pair. A programmer may ask himself, “Let’s see; where did I store the value of Pi? Oh, yes, in location 10.” Later on, he may ask himself, “What is in location 10? Oh, yes, the value of Pi.”

PY: What Bill is saying is that if a value is stored in memory location A, then the value retrieved from memory location A must equal the value you stored there. There must be no disturbance between the storage and retrieval of the value at location A. Of course, the value stored at location A may a reference or a pointer to another location in memory, in which case we are making sure the same location is being referenced after storage and retrieval.

Now, a programmer wouldn’t create a variable named “location_10” and then store the value of Pi in there; (s)he would create a variable named “Pi” and store the value of Pi in there. But that’s besides the main point. The main point is that a programmer only wants to refer to variables which only (s)he has control over.
When a variable name is declared in a program, a location in memory is reserved for that variable (by the operating system). So in the program, Pi may be stored at “location 10” at some point. However, it might be moved to some other location by the operating system, say location 20. But in the program, the variable name “Pi” still refers to the same value, 3.14, even though the actual memory location at which it is stored is different. So in the program, what matters is the name of the variable, not the virtual location at which it is stored. This sort of ignorance is a privilege.

We’ll end this post with a short example. As Bill would say: this is programming language, not algebra:

x = 3 // store the value of 3 in x

y = 4 // store the value of 4 in y

// now I want to swap the values of x and y, so I type

x = y // store the value of y in x (this command disturbs the memory of the value 3 in x)

y = x // store the value of x in y (the value of x here is disturbed)

If we print the values of x and y, we see x = 4 and y = 4 (not a successful swap)

To properly execute the swap, we need a dummy variable:

x=3

y=4

w=x // w is a dummy variable

x=y

y=w

The lesson is this: in programming, the programmer both controls to and disturbs the variables; everything is the programmers’ fault. But programming is the control of perception. We are controlling for seeing the value retrieved from a particular location in memory to be the same as the value we stored there. In the example above, after executing,

x = 3

y = 4

x = y

y = x,

we would print out the values of x and y and check if they are swapped. Complicated debugging tools have been developed for the purpose of allowing the programmer to print values from memory and make sure they match reference values.

In subsequent posts, we will discuss the Von Neumann Machine. Notice, communication betweeing memory and processing consists of two registers.

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 1:46 PM, PHILIP JERAIR YERANOSIAN pyeranos@ucla.edu wrote:

[philip 9.4.2015]

Quick question,

[philip 9.3.2015]

Best

Rick

Inline image 2

Inline image 3

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

philip (9.2.15)

music starts playing

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

[9.16.2015]

I’ve been doing some studying so I have something to talk about. In response to the little old lady in the far row, with the question
about the tortoise: it’s beginning to look a lot like computer systems, all the way down
So I’ve been thinking: In the genetic world, all the information points
to an object (a binary file) named DNA. And when the DNA is executed (loaded into the main memory and fed into the processor), it computes functions modifying data distributed in unique memory address spaces. And the goal of evolution “the tinkerer” is to 1) design a compilation system (basically utilizing a compiler, assembler, and linker), which assembles
and links relocatable files from memory into executable object programs, and then to 2) reorganize program files and translate them into different forms. Not to mention the operating system and the kernel or BIOS. We can certainly agree that what I just said is quite untestable and perhaps even unintelligible at this early stage. But suspending a discussion of the detals, I am merely describing to you the greater picture of how dynamic evolution works (in
the broadest sense). By the end of this post, I will paint a picture to describe what we should consider to be the foundation for evolutionary change (non conservation).

I mentioned that biologists always study prokaryotic processes before eukaryotic processes. We’re going to start here with a discussion of viruses, in the context of “conflict” in PCT. PCT
describes conflict as resulting from the existence of mutually exclusive states. Now imagine, for instance, the lytic and lysogenic cycles of a virus to be examples of such a pair of mutually exclusive states. The bacterial lambda phage is a well studied example of such a virus capable of existing in both phases. Its lysogenic cycle is induced by the expression of a gene, N, which innibits the expression of a gene, Cro. And the lytic cycle is induced by the expression of Cro, which inhibits the activity of N. Each of these genes has its own promoter sequences - one being transcribed in the left direction, and the other to the right.

Interesting organization, I admit. Although not quite identical, this left-right shenanigan brings to mind the interesting example of antisense control of translation of the enzyme, transposase.

A weak promoter codes for the transposase gene in the left-to-right 5’-to-3’ direction, while a strong promoter downstream codes for an complementary antisense RNA molecule in the right-to-left direction. As a consequence of the stronger promoter, antisense RNA is more abundant and inhibition is the dominant behavior. Nevertheless, a very low level of translation of transposase mRNA will occur. Transposase is involved in genetic recombination, and its activity removes and inserts entire DNA sequences within genomes. A second kind of genetic recombination is mediated through the enzyme recombinase, which acts by swapping similar or homologous regions of DNA.

In 1973, Powers described the reorganizing control system in order to explain the most basic type of learning - reorganization.

In addition to defining it as the most basic type of learning, Bill also defined reorganization as: *the process of changing the forms of functions in the hierarchy of control systems. * This definition brings to mind (via associative memory) the concept of genetic transformation.
Transformation (genetic). 1) The bacterial process of gene transfer in which donated DNA fragments originating in a dead donor cell, or plasmid DNA, is taken up across the cell wall and membrane of a recipient cell and is incorporated into the recipient cell genome by homologous recombination.**2) More generally refers to the process by which exogenous DNA is directly taken up by a cell resulting in a genetic alteration of the cell. 3) The conversion of animal cells to an abnormal unregulated state by an oncogenic virus or by transforming DNA.

I don’t know if it’s the same for you, but for me: Discovering PCT, or learning about any scientific advancement or any thought process in general, makes me think of the process of a cell taking up exogenous DNA. It’s just common sense: Whenever we come accross a new way of thinking, we compare it to what we already think and we see if we can exchange homologous ideas in an effort to make our thoughts work better. This is what some bacteria do too, for instance, to propagate antibiotic resistance (I suppose in response to the discovery of penicillin).
What’s immediately interesting to consider is the situation involving the union of bacteria from different ecologies, with independently evolving genes. The potential for transformation is thought-provoking.

A fellow named Seymour Benzer did spectacular work with genetic recombination in viruses.  He was the first to demonstrate that the "building blocks" or "fine-structure" of genes were responsible for both mutation and recombination.  He demonstrated the difference between intra- and inter-genic recombination using viral DNA. 

![image262.png|1316x732](upload://k1X8kb3rswlWV7x8W4wlG2Vv3U2.png)

Two strands of virus with mutations at different points on the same defective lysis gene could revert to wild-type during coinfection and recover lytic behavior. A non-mutant virus could supply the entire homologous gene as well. Does this process of genetic recombination seem analogous to reorganization? Are we accusing the virus of doing the organizing here? The control loop for the reorganizing system would be closed through physiological results of behavior (lysis). The virus would be reorganizing a level 1 system interfacing with the environment (the bacterial cell). Certainly, food for thought is recipe for disaster.

Bill said reorganization is driven by the intrinsic error signal, and it continues until this signal is gone.  Consider, reorganization via genetic recombination would cause no physiological effects if the homologous gene was also mutated at the *same* nucleotide.  But for a mutation at any other position, intragenic recombination would yield a wild-type trait.  Therefore, intrinsic error can be considered a function of the position of the mutation and its potential for participating in recombination.  When the potential for recombination is gone, reorganization ceases. 

Other direct links between the essentials of genetics and the quintessentials of PCT are not rare.  Debatably, the concept of purpose as the construction of some sort of invariance in experience is found in genetics as what are called *consensus sequences* - conserved DNA sites used as binding regions in DNA-protein interactions.  The concept of parsimony states that the most closely related molecular sequences are those that have the smallest number of differences between them.  Consensus sequences are nearly 100% conserved.  Near 100% efficiency is also found at the heart of the genetic paradigm - in DNA replication.  DNA replication errors occur once every billion nucleotides in E. coli.  This is due to a 3' to 5' exonuclease capability, which removes mismatched base pairs, and which characterizes the "proofreading" capability of DNA polymerase.

In previous posts we have discussed how modular genetic recombination serves as the evolutionary foundation of the adaptive immune response - by generating diverse BCRs and TCRs.  Such modular recombination would intuitively serve as a more effective driver of systematic evolutionary learning than would mutation. 
 In conclusion, I would argue that DNA recombination in genetics is analogous to the process of reorganization in PCT.  *Reorganization and recombination are the process which occur when world models collide.*  This relation between reorganization and recombination as a model for learning is a very tentative concept, but I don't think it has much chance, on the whole, of being entirely incorrect - simply because ALL mechanical and electronic devices, from spaceships to computers, are developed by swapping modular parts for homologous modules which perform the same function - only better.  The brunt of technological advancement is based on this process, and it will never change.  Think of it as a universal constant. 

Finally, a word of caution to those who put faith in the models of physics and chemistry to provide us with what we know about what is “out there”. That’s quite simply not going to cut it for biology. If my two cents is worth anything in your economy: I believe it’s more reliable to compare biology to computer systems adhering to codes, rather than physical systems adhering to laws. There are such things as the microprocessor and the memory hierarchy.

···

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 8:55 PM, PHILIP JERAIR YERANOSIAN pyeranos@ucla.edu wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thursday, September 3, 2015
Subject: world model
To: “csgnet@lists.illinois.edu” csgnet@lists.illinois.edu

inline image 2

inline image 3

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 9:32 PM, PHILIP JERAIR YERANOSIAN pyeranos@ucla.edu wrote:

[philip 9.3.2015]

Inline image 2

Inline image 3

philip (9.2.15)

music starts playing

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

Hi Philip, I am really enjoying your insights and synthesis and believe they are well worthy of a chapter, and then your own book when they all settle. You seem to be taking universal selection theory from where Gary Cziko left off in Without Miracles - by reinfusing the biological domain with the principles and components of PCT through analogy…

Warren

···

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 8:55 PM, PHILIP JERAIR YERANOSIAN pyeranos@ucla.edu wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
AN** pyeranos@ucla.edu
Date: Thursday, September 3, 2015
Subject: world model
To: “csgnet@lists.illinois.edu” csgnet@lists.illinois.edu

inline image 2

<image.png>

inline image 3

<image.png>

[philip 9.3.2015]

RM: So yo
u imagine that it’s the environment that does the imagining? What evidence is there that environments do that?

Inline image 2

Inline image 3

philip (9.2.15)

music starts playing

And we’re back from commerical break! Let’s start with a talk about B:CP. I’ve been hearing a lot lately about the difference between control o
f perception and imagination. This is a great topic. Take a look at Figure 15.3 on page 221 (powers, 1973). Observe carefully where it says “imagination connection shown”.

<image.png>

<image.png>

<image.png>
We have a system in control mode above
a system in imagination mode, and the controlled quantity is a memory signal.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

[From Rick Marken (2015.09.16.1900)]

···

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 12:28 AM, PHILIP JERAIR YERANOSIAN pyeranos@ucla.edu wrote:

[9.16.2015]

PY: I’ve been doing some studying so I have something to talk about.

RM: I haven’t been replying to your posts because I haven’t seen their relevance to what I am interested in: the study of purposive behavior. And I also have to admit that I haven’t really understood them all that well. But the last paragraph in this post did catch my attention:

PY: Finally, a word of caution to those who put faith in the models of physics and chemistry to provide us with what we know about what is “out there”.

RM: It looks like that is addressed to me, since I’m the one who most recently said that PCT takes the current models of physics and chemistry as the model of what is “out there” in the environment component of the PCT model. You go on to say:

PY: That’s quite simply not going to cut it for biology.

RM: My impression is that biology uses the current models of physics and chemistry. Isn’t DNA based on the molecular model of matter, for example? Don’t the forces exerted by muscles on the skeleton behave according to Newton’s laws?

PY: If my two cents is worth anything in your economy: I believe it’s more reliable to compare biology to computer systems adhering to codes, rather than physical systems adhering to laws. There are such things as the microprocessor and the memory hierarchy.

RM: That may be (though my bet would be on a control rather than a computer organization as the model of biological systems, since what biological systems do, at the behavioral as well as molecular level, is control). But this doesn’t negate the fact that biologists (like all scientists, including control theorists) use the models of physics and chemistry to describe what is really “out there”. Whether biological systems should be modeled as computers or control systems, the implementation of these systems will be in terms of entities (like molecules, electromagnetic energy) that are components of our current models of physics and chemistry. Computer and control system models are different ideas about how the reality “out there” – the reality described by the models of physics and chemistry – are *organized. *

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

[9.18.15 1]

An earlier private discussion.

PY: Don’t the models you program perform control?Â

RM:
They simulate control; they don’t actually control. But if a computer is placed in a robot then it can act as a control system.

PY: Computer output must be a physical manifestation of a force. Must resist the temptation to act without an appearance of the force. Consider the case of The Man Who Lost His Senses; Ian Waterman. A virus destroyed all of his tactile senses. His consciousness was the computer RM speaks of, placed in his body to act as a reorganizing control system. You can see what I’m talking about at pctweb.org under the biology and neuroscience tab. At around 2:20, he describes what it was like for him to first try to sit up after the event. "It’s like remembering how to tumble when you were a child." Like a baby, he experiences the start of reorganization.   Â
PY: Here’s the deal. The man supposedly has absolutely no sensation below the neck. This isn’t like sleeping on a limb and waking up to it’s incompetence. Think of the limb as a muscle bound skeleton, and remove all the feedback. Think about the agony! The man is literally a floating head controling his body only through his imagination. It’s obviously a strange, alien feeling to touch one limb to another, with no sensation on either limb. Why would anything occur? Notice how he describes what his arms were doing in the absense of conscious volition engaging through visual feedback (at around 5:50). He describes that when he wasn’t look at his arms, they would swing around like tentacles, knocking things off the table. These sorts of unconscious movements sound like they would be produced by central pattern generators, over which the stronger conscious volitions would act.Â

PY: Ian is an example where hidden information is brought to light by studying damage. If something is damaged, you get to see what it looks like on the inside (without it’s encapsulation or shell). Like a robot missing its skin, or a proton without its electron.Â

···

PY: Think of the consciousness as an atom which is spherical, and call it H. H is where biology begins. An electron and a proton, H, separated and shuttled through a sequence of intermediate states. The H+ ion is a very elusive thing, because without an electron cloud to increase it size by 10,000 times, it seems way too small to even be “seen”. If it can’t be seen, it can’t be controlled. But H+ plays a central role in ATP synthesis. We need to analyze what’s going on with ATP. Like any other thermodynamic model, a perceptual control system is a free energy machine. ATP is the free energy error signal which powers the effector response.Â

PY: To get us started with this foray. A series of quotes by famous physicists who thought a lot about matter, but knew too little about biochemistry (I insist it’s nobody’s fault but mine):Â

• “As
    a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much; There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to
    vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together.
    We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter.�*

– Max Planck

• I
    regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from
    consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.�*

– Max Planck

Â

• “Concerning
    matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.�*

– Albert Einstein

“If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.�

– Nikola Tesla

• “To
    those who do not know mathematics it is difficult to get across a real feeling as to the beauty, the deepest beauty, of nature. If you want to learn about nature, to appreciate nature, it is necessary to understand the language that she speaks in.�*

– Richard Feynman

“If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.�

– Nikola Tessla

“God himself served as his own model in creating the world.�

– Johannes KKepler

Everything owes its *
existence solely and completely to sound. Sound is a factor which holds it together; sound is the basis for form and shape. ‘In the beginning there was the word, and the word was God’: We are told this is how the world began and how creation took shape. If we put that into the modern idiom and say that into the great voids of space came a sound, and the matter took shape.�
‒Hans Jenny* (speaking about cymatic frequencies)

Â

[John Kirkland 2015 09 19 1335 NZT]

Consider Oliver Sacks’s brilliant book, “Without a leg to stand on” too, where he describes rehabilitation after having a nerve severed from a broken leg. He proffered the suggestion of cutting essential nerves before limb amputation to erase phantom limb experiences. Now, there’s a brace of ideas for PCT to address and interpret.

RIP Oliver, one of my heroes.

···

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 1:20 PM, PHILIP JERAIR YERANOSIAN pyeranos@ucla.edu wrote:

[9.18.15 1]

RM:
They simulate control; they don’t actually control. But if a computer is placed in a robot then it can act as a control system.

PY: Computer output must be a physical manifestation of a force. Must resist the temptation to act without an appearance of the force. Consider the case of The Man Who Lost His Senses; Ian Waterman. A virus destroyed all of his tactile senses. His consciousness was the computer RM speaks of, placed in his body to act as a reorganizing control system. You can see what I’m talking about at pctweb.org under the biology and neuroscience tab. At around 2:20, he describes what it was like for him to first try to sit up after the event. "It’s like remembering how to tumble when you were a child." Like a baby, he experiences the start of reorganization.   Â
PY: Here’s the deal. The man supposedly has absolutely no sensation below the neck. This isn’t like sleeping on a limb and waking up to it’s incompetence. Think of the limb as a muscle bound skeleton, and remove all the feedback. Think about the agony! The man is literally a floating head controling his body only through his imagination. It’s obviously a strange, alien feeling to touch one limb to another, with no sensation on either limb. Why would anything occur? Notice how he describes what his arms were doing in the absense of conscious volition engaging through visual feedback (at around 5:50). He describes that when he wasn’t look at his arms, they would swing around like tentacles, knocking things off the table. These sorts of unconscious movements sound like they would be produced by central pattern generators, over which the stronger conscious volitions would act.Â

PY: Ian is an example where hidden information is brought to light by studying damage. If something is damaged, you get to see what it looks like on the inside (without it’s encapsulation or shell). Like a robot missing its skin, or a proton without its electron.Â

PY: Think of the consciousness as an atom which is spherical, and call it H. H is where biology begins. An electron and a proton, H, separated and shuttled through a sequence of intermediate states. The H+ ion is a very elusive thing, because without an electron cloud to increase it size by 10,000 times, it seems way too small to even be “seen”. If it can’t be seen, it can’t be controlled. But H+ plays a central role in ATP synthesis. We need to analyze what’s going on with ATP. Like any other thermodynamic model, a perceptual control system is a free energy machine. ATP is the free energy error signal which powers the effector response.Â

PY: To get us started with this foray. A series of quotes by famous physicists who thought a lot about matter, but knew too little about biochemistry (I insist it’s nobody’s fault but mine):Â

• “As
    a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much; There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to
    We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter.�*

– Max Planck

• I
    consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.�*

– Max Planck

Â

• “Concerning
    matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.�*

– Albert Einstein

“If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.�

– Nikola Tesla

• “To
    those who do not know mathematics it is difficult to get across a real feeling as to the beauty, the deepest beauty, of nature. If you want to learn about nature, to appreciate nature, it is necessary to understand the language that she speaks in.�*

– Richard Feynman

“If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.�

– Nikola Tessla

– Johannes KKepler

Everything owes its *
existence solely and completely to sound. Sound is a factor which holds it together; sound is the basis for form and shape. ‘In the beginning there was the word, and the word was God’: We are told this is how the world began and how creation took shape. If we put that into the modern idiom and say that into the great voids of space came a sound, and the matter took shape.�

Â

Here’s the full conversation I referred to above:

Â

RM:Â A Turing machine, by the way, cannot imitate a control system.Â

PY: May I see a proof of this?

RM:
I have no idea how to prove it. I say this because a Turing machine is an open-loop sequential state system. It can jump back or forward to other parts of the tape, based on the current instruction. But it can’t control a variable; it can cause a variable to take new states but it can’t control the variable.Â

Â

RM: The computer model doesn’t control.Â

PY: But can’t a computer be organized to control?Â

RM: Yes, if it is made part of a control loop.

Â

RM:

···

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 6:40 PM, John Kirkland johnkirkland@gmail.com wrote:

[John Kirkland 2015 09 19 1335 NZT]

Consider Oliver Sacks’s brilliant book, “Without a leg to stand on” too, where he describes rehabilitation after having a nerve severed from a broken leg. He proffered the suggestion of cutting essential nerves before limb amputation to erase phantom limb experiences. Now, there’s a brace of ideas for PCT to address and interpret.

RIP Oliver, one of my heroes.

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 1:20 PM, PHILIP JERAIR YERANOSIAN pyeranos@ucla.edu wrote:

[9.18.15 1]

RM:

• “As

– Max Planck

• I

– Max Planck

Â

• “Concerning

– Albert Einstein

– Nikola Tesla

• “To

– Richard Feynman

– Nikola Tessla

– Johannes KKepler

Everything owes its *

Â

[Angus Jenkinson, 2017-09-26.15.18]

Bill, thank you. Some details I did not know. Of course Bill like others had got into control theory before cybernetics. But this does not mean that he did not get into cybernetics. His theory is cybernetic. But for some curious reason despite his involvement with various people, they were not able to understand how brilliant it was. There were a lot of personality issues amongst the early members. I think it is rather important to differentiate between what control theory had achieved what cybernetics achieved. That said, the way cybernetics went into the language and mindset of machines – at leastt for many people – was a seriously retrograde step for what was posssible in the field of human behaviour and psychology as well as social organisation. I think it also places the fundamental universality of what the discipline should be, particularly once you take into account second-order and ternary cybernetics. I also think that one of the things that people missed – and this is implicit in the information you give – is just how elegant is Bill’s initial solution. Of course, he would be the 1st to say that there was unfinished business and that is why various people are still working on it.

Thanks again

Best

Angus

Angus, just one quick comment… PCT was not 'PCT was developed out of cybernetics. ’ Essentially Bill Powers, developed PCT from Herman Black’s ‘control theory.’ A field in which Bill was indeed an expert. The real truth as I understand it is that Bill was working with such luminaries as Norbert Weiner to get that community to understand what they should really be dealing with. That community was heavily ‘into’ complex mathematical computations to try to produce output, that is behavior. Bill created a computer model demonstrating that what the cybernetics people were doing with their mini-computers could be performed quite simply using just a micro-processor (at that time just an Intel 8086 without math co-processor). It has taken years and significant improvements in sensory inputs and sensory processing to reach the point where we are today.

Best,
Bill

···

On 18/06/2016, 09:39, “Bill Leach” wrleach@cableone.net wrote:

On 06/17/2016 12:01 PM, Angus Jenkinson wrote:

[Angus Jenkinson, 2016-06-17.18.43 UK]

Ah, interesting. Thank you for your point of view. And thank you very much for responding.

On almost every fundamental point, however and sadly, I am at least orthogonal to you in. Indeed for me what is most exciting about PCT is its absolute negation of causality as classically understood. Nor am I simply substituting a quantum alternative. I am saying that the genuine implication of PCT is an entirely new epistemology as well as paradigm. It represents (in relevant fields) the cancelling of causality to the extent that causality exists in the first place (and its disavowal goes back to Hume). Some wonderfully practical and powerful consequences follow. (Subject for another time.)

Now I am not making this is a simple rhetorical statement: I am suggesting it is a compelling conclusion of a close open observation of the actual phenomenon. Is it not the case that the action that is taken in the process of controlling for a specific outcome is ‘intended to’ cancel (and routinely does) the effect of perturbation from any causal agent or factor outside the actor? It is the negative of causality.

There are various other aspects of your description that are also most interesting, such as emergent phenomenon and causal loop.

By describing something as an emergent phenomenon, it states that there are various phenomena that when observed individually (and so described) do not appear to have the appearance that they do when they appear to be a single phenomenon and that what happens between the one observed (and so described) appearance and the other is a mystery dressed up as a scientific concept. This represents for me an abdication of explanation, and indeed a presumed unpredictability is commonly built into such descriptions.

Moreover, when discussing a causal loop, the operant paradigm is cybernetics: PCT was developed out of cybernetics. Cybernetics in its classical (first or second order) form only deals with information, it is media neutral, indeed there is no such thing as medium, nor energy, from the point of view of cybernetics (it is not saying that there is no such thing as energy, it saying that the transformation that takes place between energy and order is a function of information and since media are nothing but order there is no need to describe the system in any other terms other than information). At its next level, really understood, level of incarnation, cybernetics adds the third function or operant factor, imparity, and this does have some significance from the point of view of PCT, since it is precisely the case that in controlling for a particular outcome alternative information has imparity, but notwithstanding this imparity does not affect the basic point I want to make. What is being described as a causal loop is in this case an information loop and information is not causal in terms of Newtonian force dynamics. It works through agent/patient dynamics and the agent/patient dynamics as described by PCT are such, as previously described, as to cancel out the informational effect of any perturbation from the controlled-for condition, which is information itself.

No doubt this could be described more precisely or elegantly, perhaps even more accurately, but I only intend to try and give an impression of why, although I appreciate that it is quite obvious that you know a great deal of physics in various areas that would appear to exceed my own, the issue of our difference is at least in part fundamentally epistemological in our interpretation and understanding of perceptual control theory and its underlying paradigm of cybernetics. My extraordinary excitement in discovering PCT is precisely that it gives an exact scientific explanation with a momentous effect at least exceeding that of Newton or Einstein or the quantum physicists and once rightly understood will transform centuries of future science.

Have a good weekend

………â€â€¦â€¦……………………………………………………….………….

Angus Jenkinson

On 17/06/2016, 16:35, “Martin Taylor” mmt-csg@mmtaylor.net wrote:

[Martin Taylor 2016.06.18.11.14]

From Angus Jenkinson, 2016-06-14.12.16.GMT

…If on the one hand one asserts the ongoing validity of Newtonian physics as a representation of the world and an explanation for its behaviour and at the same time you wish to propose a different paradigm operating (at the first level of observation) in a quite different range of phenomena (consciousness, the mind) without needing to change the Newtonian physics, then this is I think a recipe for disconnect, which becomes apparent at the point where you try to connect the control phenomena, as they appear to the mind, with the phenomena in the idealised mathematical models of science in the fleshly process and the changing appearances in “the worldâ€?. My very first posts questioned the corpus of causality and my claim was that PCT was a final functional dismantling of this aberration that has dogged the last four centuries.

I see no disconnect, and I see no way in which PCT is inconsistent with causality or Newtonian physics. It might possibly be inconsistent with quantum-level physics, but that’s very unlikely provided we restrict consideration to macroscopic phenomena. The same applies to the consistency of PCT with general relativity. It may or may not be consistent, but that doesn’t matter so long as we restrict consideration to things less massive than a planet and slower than a few thousand km/hr. Within those restrictions on size and speed, Newtonian physics works pretty well.

As for causality, every component of a control loop is a simple causal structure. What appears at the input, passing through whatever structures constitute the component, determines what appears at the output, whether that be the “neural current” approximation, the firing or otherwise of a single neuron, a chemical concentration, or whatever. Everything is causal.

What you are talking about is an emergent phenomenon that happens in a fully causal feedback loop. The loop is completely analyzable using Newtonian physics and orthodox chemistry, but emergent properties such as control, homeostasis, oscillation, explosive growth and chaos depend on the particular loop structure and parameters. None of these “question the corpus of causality”. They are consequences of causality.

In the realms of quantum effects and relativistic effects there may be reason to question causality; indeed, two observers may disagree on which of two events happened first. But in the world of events within a few orders of magnitude of human-scale mass and speed, quantum and relativistic effects can ordinarily be ignored (and I’m not forgetting the need for relativistic corrections of GPS data).

Control is causal. That’s the bottom line.

Martin

[Angus Jenkinson, 2017-09-26.15.26]

Martin,

Apologies for a delayed and long response

Thank you for these remarks and the explanation of your position. Allow me to make a few general comments as my prime responses with a few additional then against your comments

C-Causation

I did a search on CSGNet in order to find occurrences of the term “circular causationâ€?. It had been used in an email that I responded to. What I found is that every occurrence – and there werre only nine – was one that I was involved in, apart from the originnal. I was questioning its use in one post. And yet it seems to be a fundamental concept for many people in CSG. So I think this could be a question that should be taken up separately?

BTW it is not my term and my point is that I have reservations about the idea as I understand it. In any case, we/I might want to look at some different language. For example, you use the term “control loopâ€?. Of course, in cybernetics it would also be feedback – also in various other system sciences. What these mean iin terms of “causationâ€? might be quite different from what “circular causationâ€? might be intended to mean.

So what? I have got two interests in this.Â

One of them is the use of language that would be relevant for practitioners, such as management and policy makers. While they are happy to talk about the cause of a problem, or even the root cause of a problem (there being no such thing for various reasons, including the regression you allude to in your post), they are unlikely to want to talk about the circular causation of a problem So that is the rhetorical problem that bars progress in my domains.Â

The other problem is the epistemological one.

The epistemological problems the question of whether classical causation in either linear or so-called circular modes is actually relevant to understanding human behaviour. Now some will immediately say that classical theory cannot apply to circular causation, feedback loops, or any other terminology. True. But if what meant is a deterministic model in which events from the past bring about the next event, causally, and using only the effective cause mechanism, albeit looped, then I think this remains in essence a classical model, albeit with a loop function.Â

→ vs →o

The classical model was created, in part, with the deliberate intent of screening out the possibility of teleology. This is an historical record. (See Toulmin, Cosmopolis) The rationale for this was not so much physical proof of its inappropriateness, nor a scientific proof of its inaccuracy (although some like Galileo were psychologically disposed towards looking for a material-mechanical explanation), but rather that it seemed hopelessly tied up with a set of beliefs that were killing millions of Europeans in wars. So, teleology became verboten despite its significance over the previous 2000 years. Well, sometimes it is important to think anew. But what cybernetics (amongst others) discovered was the necessity to bring back some form of teleology. But it was desperately important to make this acceptable just at a time when peer group reviews were being developed and the American defence force was allocating huge budgets to research. Besides, it was both a massive epistemological leap and a career-threatening one, to reject everything that people had been taught, which remains the case today. As a result, the idea of circular causation was created. But if the white ball hits the red ball which hits the green ball which in turn hits the white ball, this is still just causation, classically understood.

So in considering the various points that you make below, the way I read it is to differentiate between all those phenomena to do with the material world and its interactions where a classical causality might provide a sufficient explanation, and the rest. If a cup falls from a hand then under certain mechanical conditions it will break. If the hand ceases to hold a cup with a suitable balance of forces, then the mechanical conditions will bring about the falling of the cup. But how and why a person adjusts their hand is different.Â

This is my fundamental hypothesis, let us call it, and also what I take to be a fundamental breakthrough of perceptual control theory.

Societal relevance

Building on this hypothesis, I also want to comment on those aspects that are of most direct relevance to my own work. I think that PCT has so many different ramifications that it would be hard for any one person to understand them all in detail while it is probably useful for everyone to get a sense of the implications in all directions.

PCT is brilliant at providing all kinds of explanations of how people/animals anatomically behave specifically as a result of their control processes. These are v. useful in all kinds of modelling of problems and subsequent explanation. I do not want to invalidate any of that. But insofar as PCT also demonstrates that there is a root problem in the explanation of human behaviour (because the “causal modelâ€? that is being used is inadequate to deal with the phenomenal realities), that leads to a possible breakthrough in social science with ramifications in every field.Â

I find it very important that people are working out what might be involved in the flexing of the foot but it is of secondary interest (to me) to the question of resolving conflicts between social groups (say, since Kent sent me something on this), except insofar as there may be analogic learning. But the fact that people are acting in such a way as to cancel out what they perceive to be an interference or disturbance in what they are controlling for is of immense importance. This is an action that is intentional, purposeful and the morror, one might say, of classical causality. There are outcomes they wish to bring about and when they perceive that something is disturbing they act in such a way as to counteract these.

How I respond to PCT

If anyone introduced something like Maxwell’s Demon as a long history of past causal relations, like force interactions, that are said to chain back to the initial cause that then inexorably leads forward to this purposeful action, I would respond by saying that this missed the essence of PCT. I think it is PCT all the way down and all the way back. (Having said that, I do think that there is an argument that is worth discussing whereby the higher-order organisation of a human can convincingly be said to be of a different order from all other animal forms. But perhaps we should leave this possibly contentious subject to one side for now.)

If I am walking along a pavement and there is some messy object I will walk around it. It does not cause that, and how it got there is of secondary if any relevance to the situation. I am simply continuing what I am doing, nothing has changed. I am also maintaining my balance, with every step involving a process of losing and regaining it; so walking round something messy is the same kind of process whereby I control my actions to achieve my outcomes, with my various sensory fields being the means whereby I am able to know what is going on, or think I do. I act intentionally in the process of scanning my world not passively and I felt what does not seem to be relevant and pay attention to what does. That is why I am with Alex G-M in proposing the necessity to have a new look at the original Aristotelian model of causality. Having said that I think we need to look freshly and also look at language anew to reach practitioners.

Emergence

The emergent property of a feedback loop is entirely derivable from the properties of its components… ?? What unpreedictability? What is missing from the standard explanation of the emergent property?

You ask about emergence. One question is, what is it? And another is, what is the underlying epistemology according to the answer given? I have a general aversion to the term because of the implied assumptions within the term but I fully accept that there may be people who use it to mean something utterly different from its implications and from how it arose. My initial response follows from my earlier discussion of causality, but let me try to go into this a little bit more.

Let me assume that we agree that there are phenomenal differences between different types or orders of existence and consciousness that have given rise to the concept of emergence. The argument is not therefore whether birds are alive in a way that stones are not. But it is a principle of reductionism to try to explain higher-order phenomena in terms of interactions of lower order phenomena. On that basis, it would be considered desirable to reduce sociology to psychology, psychology to biology, biology to physics. In this context, which has been of significant epistemological influence in the science of the few centuries, the name emergence implies the emerging out of a complexity of interactions at a lower order of a new higher order of phenomenon, such as life or consciousness. Some people then say that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Others disagree. Along comes complexity theory, which proposes that there are simple patterns of lower order interaction between identities that with sufficient scale produce the surprising results of higher-order existences. And all of this is (not untypically) based on a reductionist version of classical causal explanation, and the added ingredient of “we do not yet know exactly what goes on but we probably will soon with big enough computers�. I have been hearing such explanations all my life.

To return to your question: The emergent property of a feedback loop is entirely derivable from the properties of its components… The question I am interested in is something like the process of producing the thought that will be embedded in this sentence.  According to what you say, I assume you mean that the ability to be able to think through a thought and express it as an articulated whole in suitable language would be an emergent property that would be entirely derivable from the properties of its components. Its components being a whole plethora of different activities not only within the brain cells but within the organism of my body involving a variety of different subsystems. That would be true even leaving aside such mechanics as typing.Â

1. So far as I know, human civilisation is some way from being able to describe in sufficient detail all of the properties of the components.

2. I have absolutely no problem in principle with the idea that the “emergent property� would be entirely derivable from its “components�, although I would worry about the assumptions that some might bring to what a component is. I do not think that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

3. The first problem that I have therefore is to do with the assumptions tied up with defining or understanding components. This has something to do with the next point that you ask about, to do with information and medium, which I will return to.

4. And the second problem is that the components would include the relationships between, including iterations of recursive relationships. And how we understand those relationships would be crucial to this, which brings us back to causality, amongst other things. Moreover it is certain that this would not be “a loop�, unless that means a loop of loops of loops.

5. And I am confident that by the time that we really understand us, we will not be building this all from bottom-up and we will not be using the contemporary epistemology.

Information, and imparity

And then I rather elusively referred to information in relationship to media. That I meant that there is information contained in the type of the word type, but also that the form of a crystal is information, that indeed every atomic structure, as order, is its own information. It is part of several systems theories to concern itself with information, as such, independent of any medium in which it might be present. Ashby discusses this.  Going further, there is the idea that order is merely information and that everything that “appearsâ€? in the natural universe is nothing but the formation – oor in-formation – of energy. I am assuming you are familiar wiith all this, and that is what I was referring to. Hence my statement (of a common view): “…the transformation that takes place bbetween energy and order is a function of information and since media are nothing but order there is no need to describe the system in any other terms other than information.â€?

And then I briefly referenced imparity with the assumption that you might be aware of it. Apologies. This is the theory that was developed by JD Stewart who compellingly argues that it is impossible to explain, at least, organic behaviour from information alone. Stewart was/is of course fully familiar with PCT. He therefore proposes a third domain alongside energy and information, which he calls imparity. Briefly, imparity represents the difference in information in terms of its preference. One of the operant functions for this is obviously, whether in neuroscientific or sentimental terms, the emotional systems of the body. I would propose that some systems, such as of Maturana and Varela, who posit closure as a fundamental aspect of the identity of the organic system, require a ‘mechanism’ for this closure and that imparity is an important element of this.

I suspect, perhaps wrongly, that it is not taken into account in PCT, at least as generally found, although I have the impression that there are some who do. When it comes to the process whereby [a person] modifies their behaviour in order to maintain a ‘desired’ (controlled for) perceptual outcome, there will frequently be choices between options for how to do so as well as choices as to whether to suspend the current purpose (controlled for) while stopping for an ice cream. I think the concept of imparity in explaining this may be helpful.

There are one or two other comments below, but have responded in this form to try and explain more sensibly some of the position from which I was originally responding. I am once again grateful to the trouble you have taken and hope that my response is more interesting than irritating.

Very best wishes, and for a good weekend.

Angus

[Martin Taylor 2016.06.17.15,43]

[Angus Jenkinson, 2016-06-17.18.43 UK]

Ah, interesting. Thank you for your point of view. And thank you very much for responding.

It’s nice to have a novel topic introduced into CSGnet, especially one from which I might learn something, whether it be about PCT or about the way others see PCT.

On almost every fundamental point, however and sadly, I am at least orthogonal to you in. Indeed for me what is most exciting about PCT is its absolute negation of causality as classically understood.

I think I see where you are coming from, but I fundamentally disagree. Let’s see whether we can come to any resolution by further analysis.

Nor am I simply substituting a quantum alternative. I am saying that the genuine implication of PCT is an entirely new epistemology as well as paradigm. It represents (in relevant fields) the cancelling of causality to the extent that causality exists in the first place (and its disavowal goes back to Hume). Some wonderfully practical and powerful consequences follow. (Subject for another time.)

Now I am not making this is a simple rhetorical statement: I am suggesting it is a compelling conclusion of a close open observation of the actual phenomenon. Is it not the case that the action that is taken in the process of controlling for a specific outcome is ‘intended to’ cancel (and routinely does) the effect of perturbation from any causal agent or factor outside the actor? It is the negative of causality.

“Intended to cancel the effects of disturbance on the controlled quantity (the perception)”, yes. Successfully doing so, no. There’s always some remanent influence of the disturbance on the perception in any physically realizable control system.
PROBABLY SO

You limit your consideration to the causal effect of the current disturbance on the current value of the perception, as though causality were independent of context in time and space, whereas I concentrated on the causal influences around the loop, ignoring the causal influences of the disturbance and the reference.
NO, BEHAVIOUR IS ALL ABOUT CONTEXT, BUT WHAT IS “CAUSAL�? YOU DISCUSS THE VERY QUESTION

It is very rare that one can say “A causes B” without specifying something about the histories of A and B and the surrounding circumstances. I drop a wine glass on a tile floor. Many would say that I caused the wine glass to break. But would my dropping it have been followed by a break if there had happened to be a foam pad on the floor? No. The cause of the breakage was a combination of my dropping it and the floor being hard. But hold on. If I had been in a lower gravity environment, would the glass have broken? Not if the gravity were low enough. So the cause of the breakage was my dropping it, the floor being tile, and the acceleration due to gravity being high enough. And so on. If I had dropped it from a sufficiently low starting point, it would not have broken. But in all this, the dynamic variable is the drop itself, so people probably would say that the drop, and by extension I, caused the glass to break.

But suppose I had been pouring wine into the glass and been severely startled while doing it, say by a car driving through my dining room wall. Maybe people would say that the car that caused the startle caused me to drop the glass, and therefore the cause was the car. But the car drove through the wall because the driver had a heart attack, so the cause was the heart attack…
SO CAUSES ARE RATHER HYPETHETICAL AS HUME AND OTHERS HAVE SAID EXCEPT IN V SIMPLE CONTROLLED PHYSICS ENVIRONMENTS

Now consider this rather ridiculous example when thinking of the cause(s) of the current value of the controlled perception. Forget about the physical manifestation of the controlled system, and consider only the functional diagram. In that diagram, there are two “causes” of variation in the perceptual value, the disturbance and the output. To say that neither by itself would result in the perceptual value observed is not to say that neither causes the perception to take on that value; it is to say that each causes that value only in the context of the other having the value it does.

In a control loop, there is another independent input, the reference value. Does it cause the perceptual signal to take on the value it has? The same arguments apply, but now we have to include in the context the properties of the output function, and in any functioning control loop, the output function depends not only on the present value of the difference between perception and reference, but on some previous history of that difference. In many simulations, the output function is a leaky integrator, and such a function produces output that depends on the entire previous history of its input. That whole history is part of the cause of the current value of the perception, along with the current value of the reference signal and the current value of the disturbance signal. That the history alone, the disturbance alone, or the reference alone do not cause a particular value of the perceptual signal individually by no means suggests that they are not causally related to it.
EXCEPT THAT THIS IS IN DANGER OF INTRODUCING CLASSICAL PHYSICS UNLESS YOU CAN OFFER A WAY OUT? THE “WHOLE HISTORY� IS IN WHAT WAY A “CAUSE� and HOW TO AVOID AN ABSTRACTION BEING REIFIED?

There are various other aspects of your description that are also most interesting, such as emergent phenomenon and causal loop.

By describing something as an emergent phenomenon, it states that there are various phenomena that when observed individually (and so described) do not appear to have the appearance that they do when they appear to be a single phenomenon and that what happens between the one observed (and so described) appearance and the other is a mystery dressed up as a scientific concept.

Not so. The emergent property of a feedback loop is entirely derivable from the properties of its components and the way they are connected with each other. There’s no mystery about it at all. It is predictable in the finest detail, or at least as fine as the precision with which the components and structure are defined. The only exception to this is if the loop behaviour is chaotic, in which case an infinitesimal imprecision of the initial conditions can (but need not) lead to an exponentially increasing imprecision of future values. Control loops are not ordinarily chaotic, so far as I am aware!
INCLUDING THE “WHOLE HISTORY�?

SERIOUSLY, I THINK YOU ARE DEALING WITH A KEY POINT

This represents for me an abdication of explanation, and indeed a presumed unpredictability is commonly built into such descriptions.

?? What unpredictability? What is missing from the standard explanation of the emergent property?
SEE ABOVE

Moreover, when discussing a causal loop, the operant paradigm is cybernetics: PCT was developed out of cybernetics. Cybernetics in its classical (first or second order) form only deals with information, it is media neutral, indeed there is no such thing as medium, nor energy, from the point of view of cybernetics (it is not saying that there is no such thing as energy, it saying that the transformation that takes place between energy and order is a function of information and since media are nothing but order there is no need to describe the system in any other terms other than information).

Maybe you mean something more precise than the thermodynamics of non-equilibrium systems, but “media are nothing but order” loses me. What a control system does is thermodynamically the same as a refrigerator. It exports the entropy from its controlled variable into the rest of the universe, using the energy flow from a source (biologically, food) to a sink (biologically excreta) to do so.

At its next level, really understood, level of incarnation, cybernetics adds the third function or operant factor, imparity,

I don’t know what you mean by “imparity”, which ought to mean “difference” or “unevenness” but apparently means something else.
SEE STEWART AND TERNARY CYBERNETICS

and this does have some significance from the point of view of PCT, since it is precisely the case that in controlling for a particular outcome alternative information has imparity, but notwithstanding this imparity does not affect the basic point I want to make. What is being described as a causal loop is in this case an information loop and information is not causal in terms of Newtonian force dynamics.

I don’t know what you mean by saying “information is not causal in terms of Newtonian dynamics”. They seem unrelated. Information analysis takes no account of causality, in the same way that any other process derived from arithmetic does not. A = B+C does not mean B and C together cause A, nor does B = A-C mean A and C cause B. The same is true of conditional and contingent uncertainties and the uncertainty reduction about B consequent on observing A (the information B provides about A). But I do agree that the control loop is an information loop; the causality is in the loop structure, but its information analysis doesn’t have to be concerned with that except insofar as no values or probability distributions can be affected by their prior values more recent than one loop transport lag.

It works through agent/patient dynamics and the agent/patient dynamics as described by PCT are such, as previously described, as to cancel out the informational effect of any perturbation from the controlled-for condition, which is information itself.

No doubt this could be described more precisely or elegantly, perhaps even more accurately, but I only intend to try and give an impression of why, although I appreciate that it is quite obvious that you know a great deal of physics in various areas that would appear to exceed my own, the issue of our difference is at least in part fundamentally epistemological in our interpretation and understanding of perceptual control theory and its underlying paradigm of cybernetics.

Maybe. Maybe not. With luck, we shall determine whether that is so.

My extraordinary excitement in discovering PCT is precisely that it gives an exact scientific explanation with a momentous effect at least exceeding that of Newton or Einstein or the quantum physicists and once rightly understood will transform centuries of future science.

At least we agree on that!

Have a good weekend

You too,

Martin

···

On 17/06/2016, 21:45, “Martin Taylor” mmt-csg@mmtaylor.net wrote:

[Angus
Jenkinson, 2017-09-26.15.26]

Â

Martin,

Apologies

for a delayed and long response

Thank

you for these remarks and the explanation of your position.Â
Allow me to make a few general comments as my prime
responses with a few additional then against your comments

Â

C-Causation

I

did a search on CSGNet in order to find occurrences of the
term “circular causation�. It had been used in an email
that I responded to. What I found is that every occurrence
– and there were only nine – was one that I waswas involved in,
apart from the original. I was questioning its use in one
post. And yet it seems to be a fundamental concept for many
people in CSG. So I think this could be a question that
should be taken up separately?

Â

BTW

it is not my term and my point is that I have reservations
about the idea as I understand it. In any case, we/I might
want to look at some different language. For example, you
use the term “control loop�. Of course, in cybernetics it
would also be feedback – also in various other system
sciences. What these mean in terms of “causation� might be
quite different from what “circular causation� might be
intended to mean.

Â

•          So

what? I have got two interests in this.Â*

One

of them is the use of language that would be relevant for
practitioners, such as management and policy makers. While
they are happy to talk about the cause of a problem ,
or even the root cause of a problem (there being no
such thing for various reasons, including the regression you
allude to in your post), they are unlikely to want to talk
about the circular causation of a problem So that is
the rhetorical problem that bars progress in my domains.Â

Â

The

other problem is the epistemological one.

The

epistemological problems the question of whether classical
causation in either linear or so-called circular modes is
actually relevant to understanding human behaviour. Now
some will immediately say that classical theory cannot apply
to circular causation, feedback loops, or any other
terminology. True. But if what meant is a deterministic
model in which events from the past bring about the next
event, causally, and using only the effective cause
mechanism, albeit looped, then I think this remains in
essence a classical model, albeit with a loop function.Â

Â

→

vs →o

The

classical model was created, in part, with the deliberate
intent of screening out the possibility of teleology. This
is an historical record. (See Toulmin, Cosmopolis) The
rationale for this was not so much physical proof of its
inappropriateness, nor a scientific proof of its inaccuracy
(although some like Galileo were psychologically disposed
towards looking for a material-mechanical explanation), but
rather that it seemed hopelessly tied up with a set of
beliefs that were killing millions of Europeans in wars.Â
So, teleology became verboten despite its significance over
the previous 2000 years. Well, sometimes it is important to
think anew. But what cybernetics (amongst others)
discovered was the necessity to bring back some form of
teleology. But it was desperately important to make this
acceptable just at a time when peer group reviews were being
developed and the American defence force was allocating huge
budgets to research. Besides, it was both a massive
epistemological leap and a career-threatening one, to reject
everything that people had been taught, which remains the
case today. As a result, the idea of circular causation was
created. But if the white ball hits the red ball which hits
the green ball which in turn hits the white ball, this is
still just causation, classically understood.

Â

So

in considering the various points that you make below, the
way I read it is to differentiate between all those
phenomena to do with the material world and its interactions
where a classical causality might provide a sufficient
explanation, and the rest. If a cup falls from a hand then
under certain mechanical conditions it will break. If the
hand ceases to hold a cup with a suitable balance of forces,
then the mechanical conditions will bring about the falling
of the cup. But how and why a person adjusts their hand is
different.Â

Â

This

is my fundamental hypothesis, let us call it, and also what
I take to be a fundamental breakthrough of perceptual
control theory.

Â

•          Societal

relevance*

Building

on this hypothesis, I also want to comment on those aspects
that are of most direct relevance to my own work. I think
that PCT has so many different ramifications that it would
be hard for any one person to understand them all in detail
while it is probably useful for everyone to get a sense of
the implications in all directions.

Â

PCT

is brilliant at providing all kinds of explanations of how
people/animals anatomically behave specifically as a result
of their control processes. These are v. useful in all kinds
of modelling of problems and subsequent explanation. I do
not want to invalidate any of that. But insofar as PCT also
demonstrates that there is a root problem in the explanation
of human behaviour (because the “causal model� that is being
used is inadequate to deal with the phenomenal realities),
that leads to a possible breakthrough in social science with
ramifications in every field.Â

Â

I

find it very important that people are working out what
might be involved in the flexing of the foot but it is of
secondary interest (to me) to the question of resolving
conflicts between social groups (say, since Kent sent me
something on this), except insofar as there may be analogic
learning. But the fact that people are acting * in such a
way as to cancel out what they perceive to be an in* terference
or disturbance in what they are controlling for is of
immense importance. This is an action that is intentional,
purposeful and the morror, one might say, of classical
causality. There are outcomes they wish to bring about and
when they perceive that something is disturbing they act in
such a way as to counteract these.

Â

•          How

I respond to PCT*

If

anyone introduced something like Maxwell’s Demon as a long
history of past causal relations, like force interactions,
that are said to chain back to the initial cause that then
inexorably leads forward to this purposeful action, I would
respond by saying that this missed the essence of PCT. I
think it is PCT all the way down and all the way back.Â
(Having said that, I do think that there is an argument that
is worth discussing whereby the higher-order organisation of
a human can convincingly be said to be of a different order
from all other animal forms. But perhaps we should leave
this possibly contentious subject to one side for now.)

Â

If

I am walking along a pavement and there is some messy object
I will walk around it. It does not cause that, and how it
got there is of secondary if any relevance to the
situation. I am simply continuing what I am doing, nothing
has changed. I am also maintaining my balance, with every
step involving a process of losing and regaining it; so
walking round something messy is the same kind of process
whereby I control my actions to achieve my outcomes, with my
various sensory fields being the means whereby I am able to
know what is going on, or think I do. I act intentionally
in the process of scanning my world not passively and I felt
what does not seem to be relevant and pay attention to what
does. That is why I am with Alex G-M in proposing the
necessity to have a new look at the original Aristotelian
model of causality. Having said that I think we need to
look freshly and also look at language anew to reach
practitioners.

Â

Emergence

>

The emergent property of a feedback loop is entirely
derivable from the properties of its components… ?? What
unpredictability? What is missing from the standard
explanation of the emergent property?

Â

You

ask about emergence. One question is, what is it? And
another is, what is the underlying epistemology according to
the answer given? I have a general aversion to the term
because of the implied assumptions within the term but I
fully accept that there may be people who use it to mean
something utterly different from its implications and from
how it arose. My initial response follows from my earlier
discussion of causality, but let me try to go into this a
little bit more.

Â

Let

me assume that we agree that there are phenomenal
differences between different types or orders of existence
and consciousness that have given rise to the concept of
emergence. The argument is not therefore whether birds are
alive in a way that stones are not. But it is a principle
of reductionism to try to explain higher-order phenomena in
terms of interactions of lower order phenomena. On that
basis, it would be considered desirable to reduce sociology
to psychology, psychology to biology, biology to physics.Â
In this context, which has been of significant
epistemological influence in the science of the few
centuries, the name emergence implies the emerging out of a
complexity of interactions at a lower order of a new higher
order of phenomenon, such as life or consciousness. Some
people then say that the whole is greater than the sum of
the parts. Others disagree. Along comes complexity theory,
which proposes that there are simple patterns of lower order
interaction between identities that with sufficient scale
produce the surprising results of higher-order existences.Â
And all of this is (not untypically) based on a reductionist
version of classical causal explanation, and the added
ingredient of “we do not yet know exactly what goes on but
we probably will soon with big enough computers�. I have
been hearing such explanations all my life.

Â

To

return to your question: The emergent property of a
feedback loop is entirely derivable from the properties of
its components…Â * The question I am intereested in
is something like the process of producing the thought
that will be embedded in this sentence.* Â According to
what you say, I assume you mean that the ability to be able
to think through a thought and express it as an articulated
whole in suitable language would be an emergent property
that would be entirely derivable from the properties of its
components. Its components being a whole plethora of
different activities not only within the brain cells but
within the organism of my body involving a variety of
different subsystems. That would be true even leaving aside
such mechanics as typing.Â

···
  1.           So

far as I know, human civilisation is some way from being
able to describe in sufficient detail all of the
properties of the components.

1.           I

have absolutely no problem in principle with the idea that
the “emergent property� would be entirely derivable from
its “components�, although I would worry about the
assumptions that some might bring to what a component is.Â
I do not think that the whole is greater than the sum of
its parts.

1.           The

first problem that I have therefore is to do with the
assumptions tied up with defining or understanding
components. This has something to do with the next point
that you ask about, to do with information and medium,
which I will return to.

1.           And

the second problem is that the components would include
the relationships between, including iterations of
recursive relationships. And how we understand those
relationships would be crucial to this, which brings us
back to causality, amongst other things. Moreover it is
certain that this would not be “a loop�, unless that means
a loop of loops of loops.

1.           And

I am confident that by the time that we really understand
us, we will not be building this all from bottom-up and we
will not be using the contemporary epistemology.

Â

Information,

and imparity

And

then I rather elusively referred to information in
relationship to media. That I meant that there is
information contained in the type of the word type, but also
that the form of a crystal is information, that indeed every
atomic structure, as order, is its own information. It is
part of several systems theories to concern itself with
information, as such, independent of any medium in which it
might be present. Ashby discusses this. Â Going further,
there is the idea that order is merely information and that
everything that “appears� in the natural universe is nothing
but the formation – or in-formation – of energyrgy. I am
assuming you are familiar with all this, and that is what I
was referring to. Hence my statement (of a common view):
“…the transformation that takes place between eenergy and
order is a function of information and since media are
nothing but order there is no need to describe the system in
any other terms other than information.�

Â

And

then I briefly referenced imparity with the
assumption that you might be aware of it. Apologies. This
is the theory that was developed by JD Stewart who
compellingly argues that it is impossible to explain, at
least, organic behaviour from information alone. Stewart
was/is of course fully familiar with PCT. He therefore
proposes a third domain alongside energy and information,
which he calls imparity. Briefly, imparity represents the
difference in information in terms of its preference. One
of the operant functions for this is obviously, whether in
neuroscientific or sentimental terms, the emotional systems
of the body. I would propose that some systems, such as of
Maturana and Varela, who posit closure as a fundamental
aspect of the identity of the organic system, require a
‘mechanism’ for this closure and that imparity is an
important element of this.

Â

I

suspect, perhaps wrongly, that it is not taken into account
in PCT, at least as generally found, although I have the
impression that there are some who do. When it comes to the
process whereby [a person] modifies their behaviour in order
to maintain a ‘desired’ (controlled for) perceptual outcome,
there will frequently be choices between options for how to
do so as well as choices as to whether to suspend the
current purpose (controlled for) while stopping for an ice
cream. I think the concept of imparity in explaining this
may be helpful.

Â

There

are one or two other comments below, but have responded in
this form to try and explain more sensibly some of the
position from which I was originally responding. I am once
again grateful to the trouble you have taken and hope that
my response is more interesting than irritating.

Â

Very

best wishes, and for a good weekend.

Â

Angus

Â

Â

On 17/06/2016, 21:45, "Martin Taylor"

<mmt-csg@mmtaylor.net >
wrote:

Â

[Martin Taylor 2016.06.17.15,43]

[Angus

Jenkinson, 2016-06-17.18.43 UK]

Â

Ah,

interesting. Thank you for your point of view. And thank
you very much for responding.

It's nice to have a novel topic introduced into CSGnet,

especially one from which I might learn something, whether
it be about PCT or about the way others see PCT.

Â

On almost

every fundamental point, however and sadly, I am at least
orthogonal to you in. Indeed for me what is most exciting
about PCT is its absolute negation of causality as
classically understood.

I think I see where you are coming from, but I fundamentally

disagree. Let’s see whether we can come to any resolution by
further analysis.

Â  Nor am I

simply substituting a quantum alternative. I am saying
that the genuine implication of PCT is an entirely new
epistemology as well as paradigm. It represents (in
relevant fields) the cancelling of causality to the extent
that causality exists in the first place (and its
disavowal goes back to Hume). Some wonderfully practical
and powerful consequences follow. (Subject for another
time.)

Â

Now I am not

making this is a simple rhetorical statement: I am
suggesting it is a compelling conclusion of a close open
observation of the actual phenomenon. Is it not the case
that the action that is taken in the process of
controlling for a specific outcome is ‘intended to’ cancel
(and routinely does) the effect of perturbation from any
causal agent or factor outside the actor? It is the
negative of causality.

"Intended to cancel the effects of disturbance on the

controlled quantity (the perception)", yes. Successfully
doing so, no. There’s always some remanent influence of the
disturbance on the perception in any physically realizable
control system.
PROBABLY SO

You limit your consideration to the causal effect of the

current disturbance on the current value of the perception,
as though causality were independent of context in time and
space, whereas I concentrated on the causal influences
around the loop, ignoring the causal influences of the
disturbance and the reference.
NO, BEHAVIOUR IS ALL ABOUT CONTEXT, BUT WHAT IS “CAUSAL�?
YOU DISCUSS THE VERY QUESTION

It is very rare that one can say "A causes B" without

specifying something about the histories of A and B and the
surrounding circumstances. I drop a wine glass on a tile
floor. Many would say that I caused the wine glass to break.
But would my dropping it have been followed by a break if
there had happened to be a foam pad on the floor? No. The
cause of the breakage was a combination of my dropping it
and the floor being hard. But hold on. If I had been in a
lower gravity environment, would the glass have broken? Not
if the gravity were low enough. So the cause of the breakage
was my dropping it, the floor being tile, and the
acceleration due to gravity being high enough. And so on. If
I had dropped it from a sufficiently low starting point, it
would not have broken. But in all this, the dynamic variable
is the drop itself, so people probably would say that the
drop, and by extension I, caused the glass to break.

Â But suppose I had been pouring wine into the glass and been

severely startled while doing it, say by a car driving
through my dining room wall. Maybe people would say that the
car that caused the startle caused me to drop the glass, and
therefore the cause was the car. But the car drove through
the wall because the driver had a heart attack, so the cause
was the heart attack…
SO CAUSES ARE RATHER HYPETHETICAL AS HUME AND OTHERS HAVE
SAID EXCEPT IN V SIMPLE CONTROLLED PHYSICS ENVIRONMENTS

Now consider this rather ridiculous example when thinking of

the cause(s) of the current value of the controlled
perception. Forget about the physical manifestation of the
controlled system, and consider only the functional diagram.
In that diagram, there are two “causes” of variation in the
perceptual value, the disturbance and the output. To say
that neither by itself would result in the perceptual value
observed is not to say that neither causes the perception to
take on that value; it is to say that each causes that value
only in the context of the other having the value it does.

In a control loop, there is another independent input, the

reference value. Does it cause the perceptual signal to take
on the value it has? The same arguments apply, but now we
have to include in the context the properties of the output
function, and in any functioning control loop, the output
function depends not only on the present value of the
difference between perception and reference, but on some
previous history of that difference. In many simulations,
the output function is a leaky integrator, and such a
function produces output that depends on the entire previous
history of its input. That whole history is part of the
cause of the current value of the perception, along with the
current value of the reference signal and the current value
of the disturbance signal. That the history alone, the
disturbance alone, or the reference alone do not cause a
particular value of the perceptual signal individually by no
means suggests that they are not causally related to it.
EXCEPT THAT THIS IS IN DANGER OF INTRODUCING CLASSICAL
PHYSICS UNLESS YOU CAN OFFER A WAY OUT? THE “WHOLE HISTORY�
IS IN WHAT WAY A “CAUSE� and HOW TO AVOID AN ABSTRACTION
BEING REIFIED?

Â

There are

various other aspects of your description that are also
most interesting, such as emergent phenomenon and causal
loop.

Â

By

describing something as an emergent phenomenon, it states
that there are various phenomena that when observed
individually (and so described) do not appear to have the
appearance that they do when they appear to be a single
phenomenon and that what happens between the one observed
(and so described) appearance and the other is a mystery
dressed up as a scientific concept.

Not so. The emergent property of a feedback loop is entirely

derivable from the properties of its components and the way
they are connected with each other. There’s no mystery about
it at all. It is predictable in the finest detail, or at
least as fine as the precision with which the components and
structure are defined. The only exception to this is if the
loop behaviour is chaotic, in which case an infinitesimal
imprecision of the initial conditions can (but need not)
lead to an exponentially increasing imprecision of future
values. Control loops are not ordinarily chaotic, so far as
I am aware!
INCLUDING THE “WHOLE HISTORY�?

SERIOUSLY,

I THINK YOU ARE DEALING WITH A KEY POINT

This

represents for me an abdication of explanation, and indeed
a presumed unpredictability is commonly built into such
descriptions.

?? What unpredictability? What is missing from the standard

explanation of the emergent property?
SEE ABOVE

Â

Moreover,

when discussing a causal loop, the operant paradigm is
cybernetics: PCT was developed out of cybernetics.Â
Cybernetics in its classical (first or second order) form
only deals with information, it is media neutral, indeed
there is no such thing as medium, nor energy, from the
point of view of cybernetics (it is not saying that there
is no such thing as energy, it saying that the
transformation that takes place between energy and order
is a function of information and since media are nothing
but order there is no need to describe the system in any
other terms other than information).

Maybe you mean something more precise than the

thermodynamics of non-equilibrium systems, but “media are
nothing but order” loses me. What a control system does is
thermodynamically the same as a refrigerator. It exports the
entropy from its controlled variable into the rest of the
universe, using the energy flow from a source (biologically,
food) to a sink (biologically excreta) to do so.

Â  At its

next level, really understood, level of incarnation,
cybernetics adds the third function or operant factor,
imparity,

I don't know what you mean by "imparity", which ought to

mean “difference” or “unevenness” but apparently means
something else.
SEE STEWART AND TERNARY CYBERNETICS

and this

does have some significance from the point of view of PCT,
since it is precisely the case that in controlling for a
particular outcome alternative information has imparity,
but notwithstanding this imparity does not affect the
basic point I want to make. What is being described as a
causal loop is in this case an information loop and
information is not causal in terms of Newtonian force
dynamics.

I don't know what you mean by saying "information is not

causal in terms of Newtonian dynamics". They seem unrelated.
Information analysis takes no account of causality, in the
same way that any other process derived from arithmetic does
not. A = B+C does not mean B and C together cause A, nor
does B = A-C mean A and C cause B. The same is true of
conditional and contingent uncertainties and the uncertainty
reduction about B consequent on observing A (the information
B provides about A). But I do agree that the control loop is
an information loop; the causality is in the loop structure,
but its information analysis doesn’t have to be concerned
with that except insofar as no values or probability
distributions can be affected by their prior values more
recent than one loop transport lag.

It works

through agent/patient dynamics and the agent/patient
dynamics as described by PCT are such, as previously
described, as to cancel out the informational effect of
any perturbation from the controlled-for condition, which
is information itself.

Â

No doubt

this could be described more precisely or elegantly,
perhaps even more accurately, but I only intend to try and
give an impression of why, although I appreciate that it
is quite obvious that you know a great deal of physics in
various areas that would appear to exceed my own, the
issue of our difference is at least in part fundamentally
epistemological in our interpretation and understanding of
perceptual control theory and its underlying paradigm of
cybernetics.

Maybe. Maybe not. With luck, we shall determine whether that

is so.

My

extraordinary excitement in discovering PCT is precisely
that it gives an exact scientific explanation with a
momentous effect at least exceeding that of Newton or
Einstein or the quantum physicists and once rightly
understood will transform centuries of future science.

At least we agree on that!

Â

Have a good

weekend

You too,

Martin

[Angus
Jenkinson, 2017-09-26.15.26]

Â

C-Causation

I

did a search on CSGNet in order to find occurrences of the
term “circular causation�. It had been used in an email
that I responded to. What I found is that every occurrence
– and there were only nine – was one that I waswas involved in,
apart from the original. I was questioning its use in one
post. And yet it seems to be a fundamental concept for many
people in CSG. So I think this could be a question that
should be taken up separately?

···
  1.           So

far as I know, human civilisation is some way from being
able to describe in sufficient detail all of the
properties of the components.

1.           I

have absolutely no problem in principle with the idea that
the “emergent property� would be entirely derivable from
its “components�, although I would worry about the
assumptions that some might bring to what a component is.

1.           Â 

I do not think that the whole is greater than the sum of
its parts.

1.           The

first problem that I have therefore is to do with the
assumptions tied up with defining or understanding
components. This has something to do with the next point
that you ask about, to do with information and medium,
which I will return to.

1.           And

the second problem is that the components would include
the relationships between, including iterations of
recursive relationships. And how we understand those
relationships would be crucial to this, which brings us
back to causality, amongst other things. Moreover it is
certain that this would not be “a loop�, unless that means
a loop of loops of loops.

1.           And

I am confident that by the time that we really understand
us, we will not be building this all from bottom-up and we
will not be using the contemporary epistemology.

Â

Information,

and imparity

And

then I rather elusively referred to information in
relationship to media. That I meant that there is
information contained in the type of the word type, but also
that the form of a crystal is information, that indeed every
atomic structure, as order, is its own information. It is
part of several systems theories to concern itself with
information, as such, independent of any medium in which it
might be present. Ashby discusses this. Â Going further,
there is the idea that order is merely information and that
everything that “appears� in the natural universe is nothing
but the formation – or in-formation – of energyrgy. I am
assuming you are familiar with all this,

[From Rick Marken (2017.10.11.1640)]

Powers CausevMechanism.pdf (12.8 KB)

···

Martin Taylor (2017.10.07.13.24]

MT:...The concept [of cause] is well understood, except by those

peculiar people that say that because there is feedback there is no
causation…

RM: No one is saying that there is no causation. I am saying that the causation in a control system is described by the simultaneous equations that describe the functional relationship between time the varying variables in a control loop; in their simplest form these equations are:

p = g(o + d)Â Â Â Â Â (environment function)

o =Â f(r-p)Â Â Â Â Â Â Â (system function)

When you solve these equations simultaneously you get (approximately)

p = r           (behavior is the control of perception)

o = -1/g (d)Â Â Â Â Â (observed output is the inverse of theÂ

The second equation describes the “behavioral illusion” then the observed relationship between o and d is taken to reflect system function, f().Â

AJ: Now

some will immediately say that classical theory cannot apply
to circular causation, feedback loops, or any other
terminology. True.

MT: Not true. Classical theory is essential to understanding control.

But it is true that some on CSGnet do say what you say they say.
Such people should be ignored.

RM: Perhaps this is why you ignored Bill Powers when he was on the net. I’ve attached a little treatise of his that was recently posted to Tim’s MOL group. It’s not an explicit rejection of “classical theory” per se but it does suggest that it is not helpful to try to understand the control model in terms of classical theory; it’s better to understand the model (and the corresponding behavior of living control systems) in terms of the functional relationships between variables in a control system. Here’s one relevant paragraph:

BP: This is why models in PCT are not just lists of causes and their immediate behavioral effects, like a description of stimuli and the responses they supposedly cause. They are not “flow charts.” PCT models are more like a circuit diagram for a radio or a television set or the insides of a computer chip. The elements of a PCT model are not results to be accomplished in a certain order, but physical devices that continually do whatever they do as long as the power is turned on,. We call those devices “functions” because we try to represent their input-output relationships using mathematical functions, expressions that describe operations like multiplying, dividing, adding, subtracting,. integrating, differentiating, limiting, amplifying, recording, or playing back. A function can be completely defined without saying what the magnitudes of its inputs are going to be or how they will change.

RM: This paragraph certainly suggests that Bill (like me) would find your efforts to provide a “classical” explanation of the causes of the output of a control system to be unnecessary at best (the explanation is already provided by the system function equation above) and a waste of time at worst (you could be testing the control model that Bill developed).Â

BestÂ

Rick

Richard S. MarkenÂ

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

[From Dag Forssell (2017.10.12.1535 EDT)]

[Rick Marken (2017.10.11.1640)]

in their simplest form these equations are:

p = g(o + d) (environment function)

o = f(r-p) (system function)

Rick you have used these two equations for over 20 years to support your various arguments.

Never do you emphasize that these equations never apply in real life. As Powers put it, they represent a steady state.

The instant anything changes, whether disturbance or referece signal, the equations change dramatically.

Your equations would apply if the control system has infinite loop gain.

For many of the situations discussed here on CSGnet, loop gain is rather low.

Martin usually argues from a perspective that does not presume infinite loop gain. I wish you would too. It is much more real.

Best, Dag

[Martin Taylor 2017.10.12.17.17]

[From Rick Marken (2017.10.11.1640)]

Really? I offer in evidence ...

[From Rick Marken (2017.10.07.1530)]

BA:Â  Rick, at the risk of grabbing ahold of a

tar-baby, how do you define the phrase “causal
relationship�?

RM: Good question. By "causal" I mean what Powers means when

he talks about the “causal model” of behavior: I am referring to
the idea that the disturbance (seen as a stimulus) variable
leads to the output (seen as the response) variable via process
in the organism. It’s the concept of causality that is the basis
of all research in scientific psychology – except that does by
PCT researchers.

So ten days ago, you denied that there were causal relations all

round the control loop, since processes in the organism did not
produce the output.

[From Rick Marken (2017.10.07.1150) The fact

that the observed disturbance-output relationship is determined by
the feedback function does not make it more difficult to see the
true causal relationship between these variables. Rather, it shows
that there is no causal relationship between disturbance and
output.Â

I rest my case, though I could offer much more evidence.

You explicitly said "time-varying", and then presented equations

without time variation. That’s the inverse of what you did in the
power-law paper, in which you presented an equation that was true
for all velocity profiles, and then said that since one particular
velocity profile made the equation true, this was proven to be the
only correct profile.

In its simplest form, the biography of Winston Churchill is "He was

born, he was involved with politics, and then he died." That’s just
about as useful to understanding Churchill as those asymptotic
equilibrium equations are to understanding how a control system
behaves. I know you don’t like system dynamics and such stuff
because it smacks of regular science, but in the language of
dynamics, those equations describe a “fixed point attractor” for the
undisturbed orbits of a trivial control loop after the reference and
disturbance values were set an infinite time in the past.

Control systems don't live in a world in which disturbances change

just once an infinite time ago. The whole evolutionary reason for
their existence is that the organism of which they are part lives in
a world full of ever-changing disturbances. Dynamically, those
changes dominate the behaviour of any real control system just as
much as Winston Churchill’s four inspirational years as a war leader
dominate a story of his life. To omit them is as misleading to
someone interested in control as is a description of Churchill as a
person who was in politics.

They do say "Ignorance is Bliss". You seem to be ignorant even of

the difference between 1/f(.) and f-1 (.), as well as of
the difference between a reachable stable asymptotic equilibrium and
dynamic behaviour under varying environmental conditions. I am glad
you are so very happy.

What a very Trumpian thing to say. It's a falsehood that would serve

you well if it happened to be true.

What do you think there is in that little treatise with which I

might disagree? It’s very straightforward and in my opinion correct.
But why bring it into the present discussion? It seems entirely
unrelated.

No, it isn't, He uses the analogy of electrical circuits, which are

all designed and analysed using classical theory.

How?

How is that "better" (or worse). I see the two views as entirely

mutually supportive. Indeed, neither can work without the other.

Exactly! If I had his eloquence, I would describe it in exactly the

same way. Why would you think this (or anything else in the little
“treatise” would give me pause. It’s very good!

Let me quote back to you another passage:

[BP] *        The sciences of life have been

understandably preoccupied with causes and effects, mostly
because
they have been ignorant for so long about the mechanisms
connecting them. In the most important
cases, unfortunately, the behavioral sciences have reached the
wrong conclusions about the
mechanisms or have not been able to think of any mechanisms at
all, and as a consequence have been
unable to predict effects from causes with much success.*

What this suggests to me is that Bill saw it as important to

describe the mechanism of control properly, namely using classical
physics and engineering methods (because relativistic and quantum
refinements aren’t very useful for the time and space scales of
interest to the problem).

As for "testing the control model", I know for a fact that you are

aware of the falsity of the implication that the words seem to
suggest that you intend.

Martin
···

Martin Taylor (2017.10.07.13.24]

MT:...The concept [of cause] is well understood,

except by those peculiar people that say that because
there is feedback there is no causation…

RM: No one is saying that there is no causation.

I am saying that the causation in a control system is

described by the simultaneous equations that describe the
functional relationship between time the varying variables
in a control loop; in their simplest form these equations
are:

p = g(o + d)Â Â Â Â Â (environment function)

o =Â f(r-p)Â Â Â Â Â Â Â (system function)

When you solve these equations simultaneously you get

(approximately)

p = r                     (behavior is the control of

perception)

o = -1/g (d)Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  (observed output is the inverse

of theÂ

The second equation describes the "behavioral illusion"

then the observed relationship between o and d is taken to
reflect system function, f().

AJ:

Now some will immediately say that classical
theory cannot apply to circular causation,
feedback loops, or any other terminology.
True.

MT: Not true. Classical theory is essential to

understanding control. But it is true that some on
CSGnet do say what you say they say. Such people should
be ignored.

RM: Perhaps this is why you ignored Bill Powers when he

was on the net.

I've attached a little treatise of his that was

recently posted to Tim’s MOL group.

It's not an explicit rejection of "classical theory"

per se

but it does suggest that it is not helpful to try to

understand the control model in terms of classical theory;

it's better to understand the model (and the

corresponding behavior of living control systems) in terms
of the functional relationships between variables in a
control system.

Here’s one relevant paragraph:

BP: This is why

models in PCT are not just lists of causes and their
immediate behavioral effects, like a description of
stimuli and the responses they supposedly cause. They
are not “flow charts.” PCT models are more like a
circuit diagram for a radio or a television set or the
insides of a computer chip. The elements of a PCT model
are not results to be accomplished in a certain order,
but physical devices that continually do whatever they
do as long as the power is turned on,. We call those
devices “functions” because we try to represent their
input-output relationships using mathematical functions,
expressions that describe operations like multiplying,
dividing, adding, subtracting,. integrating,
differentiating, limiting, amplifying, recording, or
playing back. A function can be completely defined
without saying what the magnitudes of its inputs are
going to be or how they will change.

RM: This paragraph certainly suggests that Bill (like me)

would find your efforts to provide a “classical” explanation
of the causes of the output of a control system to be
unnecessary at best (the explanation is already provided by
the system function equation above) and a waste of time at
worst (you could be testing the control model that Bill
developed).

"Perfection

is achieved not when you have
nothing more to add, but when you
have
nothing left to take away.�
  Â